Australia Day

bambu.

Gold Member
Oct 24, 2021
Australia Day is the official national day of Australia. Observed annually on 26 January, it marks the 1788 landing of the First Fleet at Sydney Cove and raising of the Union Flag by Arthur Phillip following days of exploration of Port Jackson in New South Wales.
The birth of a nation.
Indigenous People say there was already an existing nation, their nation.

Many Indigenous activists today call it "Invasion Day". Not helpful in the pursuit of love and harmony.

There are two flags;

The Aboriginal flag;

Key points

• The Australian Aboriginal flag was designed by artist Harold Thomas in 1970.
    • The colours of the flag represent the Aboriginal people of Australia and their connection to the land.
    • The flag was first raised on 9 July 1971.
    • In 1995, the Aboriginal flag was recognised by the Australian Government as an official 'Flag of Australia' under the Flags Act 1953.
The Aboriginal flag was designed and created by artist Harold Thomas, a Luritja man from central Australia and a member of the Stolen Generations. The flag has become a symbol of Aboriginal Australia and holds special legal and political status worldwide.

The Aboriginal Flag is divided horizontally into equal halves of black (top) and red (bottom), with a yellow circle in the centre. The black symbolises Aboriginal people. The yellow represents the sun, the constant re-newer of life. Red depicts the earth and peoples' relationship to the land.

Australian government buys copyright to Aboriginal flag in $20m deal

Permission is no longer needed to display the Aboriginal flag or to use it on signage or clothing after the Australian government acquired the rights for $20m. Photograph: Mick Tsikas/AAP

/cont'd

We should remember that horrible day in history, 22nd of August 1770, when an English fleet under James Cook STOLE Eastern Australia ...

... from The Dutch.

direct.png

cont'd;

Australia Day...party time!

Tall ships re-enactment on the harbour.
Ferry races on the harbour.
Celebrations everywhere.

Atop the Sydney Harbour Bridge fly two flags, the Aboriginal flag representing Black people, and the Australian flag representing who, exactly? White people? White people and everyone else?
Who knows?
One might wonder where "We are one" went to.
"We are one" from a touted national anthem the Seekers' song "I Am Australian".

I came from the dream-time
From the dusty red-soil plains
I am the ancient heart
The keeper of the flame
I stood upon the rocky shores
I watched the tall ships come
For forty thousand years I've been
The first Australian.

I came upon the prison ship
Bowed down by iron chains
I fought the land, endured the lash
And waited for the rains
I'm a settler, I'm a farmer's wife
On a dry and barren run
A convict, then a free man
I became Australian.

I'm the daughter of a digger
Who sought the mother lode
The girl became a woman
On the long and dusty road
I'm a child of the Depression
I saw the good times come
I'm a bushie, I'm a battler
I am Australian.

We are one, but we are many
And from all the lands on earth we come
We'll share a dream and sing with one voice
"I am, you are, we are Australian".

I'm a teller of stories
I'm a singer of songs
I am Albert Namatjira
And I paint the ghostly gums
I'm Clancy on his horse
I'm Ned Kelly on the run
I'm the one who waltzed Matilda
I am Australian.

I'm the hot wind from the desert
I'm the black soil of the plains
I'm the mountains and the valleys
I'm the drought and flooding rains
I am the rock, I am the sky
The rivers when they run
The spirit of this great land
I am Australian.

"I am, you are, we are Australian"

I wear my bright canary yellow Wallabees Rugby team hat the last few Australia Days. Sorry, but it looks far better than the new gold one they came out with last year, so I'm keeping the old one.

Activists say the national anthem is racist, and the national flag is racist.
I'm a "God save the Queen" guy. I agree that Advance AS is a crap song; I didn't vote for the junk!!!

Greg

I'm a "God save the Queen" guy. I agree that Advance AS is a crap song; I didn't vote for the junk!!!

Greg
An anthem Advance Australia Fair surely is. Not crap at all.
YouTube "Olivia Newton-John sings Advance Australia Fair at AFL Grand Final".

and '"7 yr old girl singing the Australian National Anthem"....................[Asian girl].

At least our anthem is a happy one...unlike many in the world that sound like funeral music.

An anthem Advance Australia Fair surely is. Not crap at all.
YouTube "Olivia Newton-John sings Advance Australia Fair at AFL Grand Final".

and '"7 yr old girl singing the Australian National Anthem"....................[Asian girl].

At least our anthem is a happy one...unlike many in the world that sound like funeral music.
They leave out the best verse!!!!

"
When gallant Cook from Albion sail'd,
To trace wide oceans o'er,
True British courage bore him on,
Till he landed on our shore.
Then here he raised Old England's flag,
The standard of the brave;
With all her faults we love her still,
"Brittannia rules the wave!"
In joyful strains then let us sing
"Advance Australia fair!""

As a song it isn't what I would call worth listening to. How it got to be our NA I am quite well aware, but frankly it was a hit job by some lefty wankers in the labor Party.

Greg

You got it in one!!!!I have been saying for years about keeping our own manufacturing base but no; the "importers" had cheap foreign shit blot out our producers and , once gone, the price of crap goods has gone through the roof. Crap Chinese undies last six months because the elastic goes!!! lmao The old Y fronts lasted years.

And who is going to bring back our producers?

Frankly I wish I knew but our tax system and labour laws will need to be streamlined and our addiction to products produced by near, if not actual, slave labour cold turkeyed!!!.

Greg

You got it in one!!!!I have been saying for years about keeping our own manufacturing base but no; the "importers" had cheap foreign shit blot out our producers and , once gone, the price of crap goods has gone through the roof. Crap Chinese undies last six months because the elastic goes!!! lmao The old Y fronts lasted years.

And who is going to bring back our producers?

Frankly I wish I knew but our tax system and labour laws will need to be streamlined and our addiction to products produced by near, if not actual, slave labour cold turkeyed!!!.

Greg
It's a lost cause Greg.

Forum List

Back