Bob Blaylock

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2015
38°29′ North 121°26′ West
This is not a drill!

ZSC_0863_1600x600.jpg

This, however, is…
ZSC_0861_1600x1280.jpg

Don't want either one of them, I am only buying corded tools from now on. De Walt ripped me off with their battery scam.

I use the top one when I don't feel like looking for the second one; at some point they all look alike to me.

Don't want either one of them, I am only buying corded tools from now on. De Walt ripped me off with their battery scam.

I'm going the opposite way.
The older I get the less I like dragging a cord around. And my projects tend to be a little less intense.
Hell,I bought an electric log splitter and an electric chainsaw...something I swore I'd never do.

Oh,ya gotta plug in the log splitter but the chainsaw is battery powered.
And I use cooking oil for the bar lube because I only cut BBQ wood with it.

This is not a drill!

View attachment 372768

This, however, is…
View attachment 372771

I personally prefer other brands than Dewalt like Milwaukee and Porter Cable. And I never use battery. Strictly corded.

View attachment 372784

Big Milwaukee fan and have some Dewalt stuff.
The Red is much better.
In my younger days I refused to buy battery stuff,they've gotten way better these days and I dont use em all day for the most part.

This is not a drill!

View attachment 372768

This, however, is…
View attachment 372771

I personally prefer other brands than Dewalt like Milwaukee and Porter Cable. And I never use battery. Strictly corded.

View attachment 372784

Big Milwaukee fan and have some Dewalt stuff.
The Red is much better.
In my younger days I refused to buy battery stuff,they've gotten way better these days and I dont use em all day for the most part.
Yes they have gotten better, but then you have this big battery in your way you have to hold up, and unlike power cords going into 115VAC, batteries, any battery, always goes dead on you, fails, usually when you need it the most.

The lithium tools are good for pros who are so much on the move there either isn't time to set up or access to a power cord like up on a roof. Of course, you can run one up there if you really want.

I have a 50 ft $100 power cord that'll run ANYTHING.

I personally prefer other brands than Dewalt like Milwaukee and Porter Cable.

Porter Cable is the same company as DeWalt, though their line is lower-grade, and much more obscure. I guess it's meant to be positioned between DeWalt, as their professional-grade brand, and Black & Decker as their household brand.

And I never use battery. Strictly corded.

On most construction sites I've worked, receptacles in which to plug-in corded tools are scarce.

First remote cabin I built with DeWalt battery powered tools; saw and drill.

After that only Ryobi.

Why?

1. Batteries lasted longer and cost less. Unlike some other brands
the battery design never changes as fit is concerned though there
are periodic longevity/power improvements.
2. Less expensive; important when tools are stolen - a frequent thing.
3. Stolen less often. Thieves seem to like yellow better than blue.

Porter Cable is the same company as DeWalt, though their line is lower-grade, and much more obscure. I guess it's meant to be positioned between DeWalt, as their professional-grade brand, and Black & Decker as their household brand.
I hope you mean that DeWalt is Porter Cables commercial line. You won't find a better tool than Porter Cable. And though B&D is mostly a chinxzy brand now, they do have their B&D Pro line which is good; actually, I think B&D was instrumental in the original formulation for the hand power tool as we know it today.

On most construction sites I've worked, receptacles in which to plug-in corded tools are scarce.
Musta really sucked before the invention of the battery power tool. :smoke:
More likely they are scarcer now because they assume everyone is carry battery tools. Kinda like trying to find a pay phone these days.

The batteries typically cost more than the tool itself. We use cordless a lot building decks, just because there's a lot of screws involved and corded gets cumbersome. But a battery only lasts about a year until done with as much use that we put them through. We use corded for framing a house.
The cordless impact driver is a must for driving deck lag bolts.

Of course, a drill being used with a large-diameter bit, is not at all exciting.

In fact, it's boring.
I took a moment and read up on the history of the two companies, DeWalt and Porter Cable. Then I read a few reviews on line and was surprised they only compared NEW and cordless and gave some false and misleading information.

I'm one who leans towards different brands for different power tools. I like certain brand drills, and might prefer one brand for 1/4 drive, another for 3/8th and yet another for 1/2 inch. You just can't beat the Milwaukee 1/2" corded hammer drill.

thumbnail.jpg

I played around with battery tools. I'm not a pro and not out using them every day. Sitting around, the battery would be dead. Sitting weeks and months on charger, the battery life would fail. This was before lithium. With a corded tool I always know I will have power and what power I'll have. I realize that today though, cordless has taken over the market. Big money to be made on perishable parts. Thank god my tools are old enough before all that. Now EVERY DAMN THING is cordless.

I had two brother in-laws who were pro carpenters. I remember hearing the one wax about his DeWalt tools years ago. The unions probably push the brands heavy and you likely will get laughed off the job or scorned if you don't succumb to conformity. This was at a time when Porter Cable was King and you hardly saw DeWalt in the stores. DeWalt were yellow and plastic and cheaper. Porter Cable was premium and expensive and built of adamantine construction no matter what articles tell you. I don't just look at specs but the complete package, including engineering conceptualization and user ergonomics.

I would never buy an entire line of tools all from just one company, as a result, I own power tools from many brands. Some brands that were great years ago are not as nice today and vise versa. I have a very old table saw that is 100% MADE IN AMERICA whose line now is cheap. I've just never gone out and searched for any tool that I was attracted to the Dewalt line as the best fit for my needs.

Here's one PorterCable tool I have, their 100th Annv. (?) brushed stainless steel finish sander in oak storage case. You won't find a better finish sander than this. PC makes one MOFO sander.

s-l640.jpg

s-l1000.jpg

There is not a single plastic part on the whole thing. Even the trigger is stainless with a fantastic positive switch.

Another Porter Cable tool I bought years ago was their amazing jig saw. Heavy construction. Minimal polymer parts in the outer body except as justified. Works fantastic. Power. Rock solid stable blade. Versatile. Precise. Can't be sure which model I have, but I think it looks like this:

s-l300.jpg
5490270.jpg

To be honest, I'm glad I have them. Companies change hands. When I look at what is being made and sold NOW today by Porter Cable and many other companies, I don't know that I'd buy any of it. One brand that has stayed true and consistent pretty much over the years AFAIK is Milwaukee, though I was a bit disappointed last tool of theirs I bought, there $200 Super-Sawzall, it now came in a plastic case instead of the all metal that I wanted. Oh well.

Another line which used to make a good tool is Bosch power tools. I have an old circular saw of their I love. The needs of the serious home craftsman will be different from the needs of the professional studio craftsman from the construction field craftsman vs. the weekend DIY. There is no one size fits all.

I'm going the opposite way.
The older I get the less I like dragging a cord around. And my projects tend to be a little less intense.
Hell,I bought an electric log splitter and an electric chainsaw...something I swore I'd never do.

Oh,ya gotta plug in the log splitter but the chainsaw is battery powered.
And I use cooking oil for the bar lube because I only cut BBQ wood with it.

They quit making batteries for them at a certain point; my De Walt is still in practically mint condition, but the batteries wore out and they don't make replacements for my model any more, and it isn't that old.

Re mowers, I bought one of the first corded electric models Home Depot carried, it was very light and great for the front yard; lasted me over 20 years before conking out. My electric chainsaw is corded, also a long time survivor, though I use the 2 cycle out on the middle lots. The new one is heavier, but it works on heavier grass and brush just fine, still a lot lighter than the battery powered electrics are.

Electrics can be a hassle with the power cords, but they're still not as much of a hassle as storing and mixing fuel and yanking on starter cords and screwing with spark plugs and all the other motor hassles re stuff near the house. One funny thing I noticed is how my neighbors all sneered at my electric mowers, but then they come over and borrow them at least two three times a year when they can't get their mighty 2 cycle 'manly man' mowers to start after an hour of throwing their backs and arms out. lol my electric is mowing many more yards than I do my own. Yet they still run out and buy those crappy small two cycles. My rule of thumb on those is if at least 6.5 hp and above aren't needed, go electric.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back