Attacks On Jews Around the World

But on my university syllabus, Israel is highlighted as the worst state imaginable, with old antisemitic tropes about Jews being bloodthirsty being taught to me and my peers. The material for one course, which came out after the George Floyd murder, blamed Israel for teaching American cops how to kill Black and brown people.

Another said the use of tear gas in America ‘had been tested on Palestinians and deployed on Black and brown bodies by the United States’. Astonishingly this meant the racism of police in one country – America – was blamed on the Jews, even though American police racism predates the existence of Israel.

This all seemed designed to paint Jews as the abusers of other minorities.

I did not expect to take on the mantle of “the Israel defender” on campus, but I don’t feel I have a choice; I had to stand up against this even though I feared it could impact my grades. Sometimes I am mocked and laughed at in class, while my teachers just sit there, but someone has to provide an alternative point of view to what is being taught. On campus I am now known as “the Jew".

When I spoke to my tutor and the university officials about the antisemitism, I hoped for a fair hearing. Instead, they told me what I knew to be antisemitism wasn’t actually antisemitism. They also told me to stop writing about it on Twitter because that was making trouble.

Universities like mine seem to think that raising the issue of antisemitism is actually more problematic than the antisemitism itself. It is only after I kept raising these issues that they agreed to ensure staff had training on how to spot antisemitism.

I know I am not alone in having to deal with this on British university campuses. One Jewish student in Glasgow says they were called a “dirty Jew” and told to “go and gas yourself”. At the University of Bristol, until recently, a professor was teaching that Jewish students were pawns of Israel and were deliberately stirring up Islamaphobia. He lost his job only after his case was brought up in Parliament.

(full article online)

The Ontario College of Teachers (OCT) confirmed in December its decision to rescind the license of Joseph DiMarco, a former history teacher in the Northeastern Catholic District School Board. He had previously been terminated by his employer, O’Gorman High School, in November 2019.

The body cited complaints about DiMarco from as early as 2016, the CJN found, when he told a student, “looking at your face is starting to make me feel hate.” The OCT report, which concluded an investigation of the allegations, found that he also taught students to blame the 9/11 terrorist attacks on Israel and, citing his purported research, browbeat them into consulting Holocaust denialist texts.

“When students tried to challenge or question [DiMarco’s] assertions about the figure of 6 million deaths not being accurate, [he] was dismissive, reminding the students how much research he had done,” the OCT report said. “The member shared his view with students that the Israeli government is a malicious force and that it frames itself as the victim by exaggerating the tragedy of the Holocaust in order to make the world more receptive to its agenda.”

JANUARY 27, 2022 9:49 AM

Schumer Proposes Doubling Non-Profit Security Grant Funding to $360 Million

JNS.org - Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) announced during a press conference on Wednesday in Midtown Manhattan that he...
DiMarco also interjected his own private materials into his lessons on the Holocaust, the CJN reported, including a “Zionism slideshow” he made that featured a clip of a 1990s broadcast of “The Montel Williams Show” in which Holocaust “revisionists” denied, in the presence of Holocaust survivors, that any Jews were murdered in gas chambers.

“The member [DiMarco] knew or ought to have known that his teaching risked arousing antisemitic sentiment among his students,” the OCT report said.

“There is no place in the classroom for Holocaust denial or conspiracy theories,” B’nai Brith Canada CEO Michael Mostyn told the CJN. “The teacher in question agreed to a statement of facts that was damning. We are pleased he is no longer in the classroom.”

The outlet also revealed disturbing music videos produced by DiMarco, who is also a musician, including one depicting Israeli Mossad agents as reacting to the collapse of the World Trade Centers by dancing. In one song, DiMarco sings, “The Evil Empire of Israelica. The United States of Israelica.”

DiMarco has not denied nor contested the allegations against him, according to the CJN. The Ontario English Catholic Teachers Union (OECTA) told the outlet it was not involved in his disciplinary proceedings and that there are no records of his teaching after 2019. “Our association unequivocally condemns hatred, bigotry, and discrimination, in any form,” the OECTA told the CJN.

(full article online)

In the article for the Evening Standard, the barrister and television personality has written about how antisemitic insults were hurled at his friend’s children whilst they were at a falafel restaurant in Golders Green, despite them not being Jewish.

Mr Rinder wrote: “But as she told me this awful story, I realised — with a profound sadness — that I was completely unsurprised. Because it’s happening to Jews all the time.”

“It’s completely shattering to think how the grimy tendrils of anti-Jewish hatred have spread over so many aspects of life in the UK, whether it’s being spat at or accosted in the street or any of the countless other acts of abuse,” he continued. “For example, many in the Jewish community send their children to Jewish schools, and I think it’d break your hearts to see the precautions they have to take.”

Mr Rinder went on to state that he believes that the vast majority of the people in the United Kingdom are appalled by anti-Jewish racism, “but this is the tragic reality of being Jewish in London in 2022. Not in some far off time or place, but right now and right here; in the greatest, most cosmopolitan city in the world.”

Mr Rinder called on people to “stand up to every instance of cruelty, big or small, because the descent into human depravity never begins with grand acts of violence, it starts with murmured insults and grows from there,” and added that “It’s the subtle way horror gets going — not with a bang or people screaming hate in broad daylight, with whispered comments everybody else tolerates.”

Robert Rinder has said in the past that he believes that there is an existential threat to Jews in Britain, but that he has “an enduring belief in the British public. That ultimately, for every one loud antisemite, there are hundreds, no, thousands of people that have the courage to stand up to it.”

(full article online)

A 12-year-old Italian Jewish boy has been the target of a vicious antisemitic attack in a municipal park by two older teenagers who subjected him to a stream of insults.

The boy, named as “Marco,” was chatting with friends last Sunday in the park in the town of Campiglia Marittima, near Livorno in Tuscany, where he lives with his parents. Two 15-year-old girls approached him and told him to be quiet, before calling him a “dirty Jew.” The assailants then spat at the boy and proceeded to assault him with punches and kicks. They also told him that he would “die in the ovens” — a reference to the gas chambers used to exterminate Jewish inmates of Nazi concentration camps.

Local police have since apprehended the two teenagers, dubbed “antisemitic bullies” in the local press, who will now face charges in the Juvenile Court in Florence.

Interviewed by local media outlets, the boy’s father highlighted that no-one came to the defense of his son.

“Nobody in that public park where the attack took place said anything, nobody defended my son,” the father said. “I can’t explain what happened, I only know that my son was terrified and will never forget what happened.”

(full article online)

Across the country, hate crimes against minority communities are on the rise. In a recent incident, a woman was arrested Jan. 21 after allegedly threatening and spitting on a group of Jewish children in New York, authorities said. While the children were not injured, the children’s father told CBS New York that his kids remained distraught after the incident.

Surveillance footage released by the New York Police Department (NYPD) depicted the incident occurring outside of a synagogue in Brooklyn. In the video, the woman is seen storming up to three children and then spitting on them.

Identified as 21-year-old Christina Darling, the woman was charged with multiple counts, including aggravated harassment as a hate crime, acting in a manner injurious to a child, and menacing as a hate crime, the NYPD told CNN. According to officials, the woman not only spat on the children but also made “anti-Jewish statements.”

“Hitler should have killed you all,” police said the woman told the children, according to The Washington Post. “I’ll kill you and know where you live.”

(full article online)

(Why attacks on Jews continues to be on the rise......again.....and again.....)

An in-depth study of antisemitism in France has revealed that the vast majority of French Jews — 74 percent — have experienced some form of “antisemitic behavior during their lives, from mockery to physical aggression, including insults or verbal threats.”

Published on Tuesday, the study, jointly conducted by the American Jewish Committee (AJC) and the Paris-based Fondapol think-tank, surveyed more than 1,500 non-Jews on their understanding of the depth and extent of antisemitism, and over 500 Jews on their experiences of bigotry.

The study found common agreement that antisemitism in France is on an upward trajectory, with 64 percent of non-Jewish and 73 percent of Jewish respondents acknowledging the steep rise in prejudice targeting Jews over the last decade.

Muslim and anti-Zionist antisemitism were identified as the main threats to the Jewish community, with 53 percent of non-Jewish respondents citing the denial of Israel’s right to exist as a principal problem — a number that rose to 62 percent among the Jews surveyed. Similarly, 48 percent of non-Jews and 45 percent of Jews cited “Islamist ideas” as a driving factor, alongside conspiracy theories and far-right ideology.

The study found that 15 percent of French Muslims “admit to feeling antipathy towards Jews, a proportion 10 points higher than that measured in the French population as a whole.” It also pointed to enormous discrepancies between Muslims and the population as a whole with regard to antisemitic tropes. While 24 percent of the French population as a whole believe that Jews operate a “stranglehold” upon the media, that number rose to 54 percent among Muslims specifically. Similarly, 51 percent of Muslims agree that Jews dominate the French economy, compared with 26 percent among the general population.

The study also noted that religiosity was a factor in Muslim behavior towards Jews. “Adherence to prejudice is related to the intensity of attendance at places of worship,” the study observed. “For example, 61 percent of Muslims who attend mosque every week believe that ‘Jews have too much power in the field of economics and finance,’ compared to 40 percent among non-practitioners.”

Among young people, the profile of antisemitism as a social problem has grown as well. The study found that in 2021, 63 percent of those in the 18-24 age group had experienced antisemitic insults, compared with 53 percent of those who were surveyed in 2019. Social media platforms were cited as key areas where young people encounter antisemitic invective, but schools were described as “the first place of exposure to antisemitic violence.”

(full article online)

As a Muslim woman committed to combating radical Islam, also known as Islamism, I research contemporary antisemitism, particularly Islamist antisemitism.

ByQanta A. Ahmed

Jews are facing antisemitism from three directions.

First, from the Far Right, neo-Nazis, White Supremacists and ultra-nationalists form a brand of antisemitism that gets widespread coverage in the liberal media.

Both the Director of the FBI Christopher Wray and Jill Sanborn, Executive Assistant Director of the National Security Branch of the FBI, referred to the recent perpetrator of the Coleyville hostage incident and to the difficulty of identifying lone actors, with “fewer dots to connect.”

This ignores the reality that antisemitism is at a 45-year high in America. New York Police Department data shows anti-Jewish hate crimes increased 51% in 2021—with the total number of attacks nearly equaling anti-Asian and anti-gay male hate crimes combined.

American Jewish communities have been forced to deploy armed security since the October 2018 Pittsburgh attack on the Tree of Life Synagogue where 11 Jews were killed, as well as the April 2019 Poway attack in California where one Jewish woman was killed.

But antisemitism also comes from the Left, with rising woke neo-orthodoxy driving some Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) efforts to erase Jews as minorities. The Heritage Foundation recently published the Diversity Delusion report on DEI officers in America’s premiere academic institutions, detailing extraordinary levels of antisemitism expressed by leading DEI officers at the nation’s leading universities.

Because of fears of being labeled Islamophobic, the vehicle of Islamist antisemitism is in play. Islamism, masquerading as the great monotheism of Islam, is an artificial 20th-century totalitarian ideology that steals the language and metaphors of Islam but holds at its core a cosmic enmity with all matters pertaining to Jewry, Judaism, Zionism and Israel.

(full article online)

Comparisons to the Holocaust are invariably hyperbolic and often indecent. Nevertheless, the occurrence of antisemitic incidents at so many stages in this process should be a significant cause for more than just worry.​

On Jan. 27, we commemorated International Holocaust Remembrance Day, honoring the six million Jews killed in the Nazi genocide, as well as the millions of other victims persecuted in that era. This remembrance will be meaningless, however, if we do not seriously consider the growing threat faced by world Jewry today. To understand the seriousness of this threat, consider how it measures under Genocide Watch founder Dr. Gregory Stanton's canonical classification of the ten stages of genocide.

The first stage, classification, refers to the division of people into "us" versus "them." This phenomenon is now widespread on American college campuses. Known to anti-Israel activists as "anti-normalization," it can be seen, for example, in the 2018 pledge by more than 50 New York University student groups to boycott pro-Israel student groups on campus, as well as national pro-Israel organizations. The ongoing effort is aimed at pushing Jewish students "beyond the pale" unless they join forces with groups that make war against Jewish identity. To address this early-stage activity, we must strengthen institutions that can inculcate universalistic Western values, such as equal respect and civil discourse.

-------------

The ninth stage, extermination, refers to mass murder. Extermination was attempted at the Tree of Life Synagogue in 2018 when Robert Gregory Bowers allegedly murdered 11 Jewish worshippers during Shabbat services and wounded six others. It was also attempted at the Chabad of Poway in California one year later, when 19-year-old gunman John Timothy Earnest fatally shot a 60-year-old woman and injured three others, including the congregation's rabbi. Such tragedy was averted earlier this month in Colleyville, Texas, when four Jewish hostages escaped from armed assailant Malik Faisal Akram, who last year said, "I want to kill Jews." While wider efforts at extermination may not be conceivable to many Jews, they are sadly less inconceivable with each passing tragedy.

The last stage is denial, which is common among perpetrators of mass violence. Holocaust denial remains widespread, drawing upon an ideology that sees Jews as powerful, sinister, and conspiratorial enough to carry out an enormous hoax. On a lower level, we see antisemitism denial after nearly every anti-Jewish incident when the perpetrators insist their actions should not be described as antisemitic. Antisemitism denial is institutionalized by groups that resist the adoption of the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance's working definition of antisemitism, which is the single most important tool for identifying anti-Jewish behavior.

(full article online)

The man entered the car at the beginning of the train, and proceeded to shout at the woman, who is visibly Jewish.

The attacker got close up into the victim’s face and shouted, “You little Jewish girl, get the [expletive] off the train, you little Jewish [expletive],” repeatedly at the victim, her family members told COLlive.com

He also threatened the woman, saying, “you little Jewish girl better get off this train before I hurt you,” her family members related.

The attacker is described as a black male, in his mid 20’s with a thin build, about 6 feet tall. He was wearing black jeans, a red sweater, black jacket, ski mask and black sneakers.

(full article online)

An Everton fan has been banned from attending football matches for three years after he took part in antisemitic chants that were aimed at Spurs fans.

Michael Campbell, of Aigburth Road, Liverpool, was reported to stewards and police following his actions at the match held at Goodison Park on 7th November.

This led to an investigation being conducted by Merseyside Police and Everton which then resulted in Mr Campbell’s arrest and subsequent charges. He then received the Football Banning Order for three years at South Sefton Magistrates Court in Bootle and was told to pay a fine and court costs at the hearing on 20th January.

Detective Inspector Steven O’Neill, of Merseyside Police, said: “Hate crime in all its forms simply will not be tolerated and I hope this result sends a clear message that anyone found to commit hate crime offences anywhere on Merseyside will be brought to justice.

“Campbell will now have a criminal record and the consequences of this in the future could prove to be significant. The professional response of Everton Football Club stewards meant that he was quickly identified and arrested.”

(full article online)

Forum List

Back