Atlas Shrugged Part II Official Trailer

Ragnar

<--- Pic is not me
Jan 23, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF9QT43uDQU]Atlas Shrugged Part II Official Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

Part uno was less than stellar by nearly every possible measurement. (who knew a limited release with a small budget and zero advertizing might struggle?) Still, despite a sub-par script, budget, release and simplistic modernization... part one made some money. A smattering of dedicated fans wanted to see it at least. (and buy the DVD)

I'll give the producers this much, they are committed. With a mostly (if not total?) new cast, the quality and production values seem to have gone up, if such can be gathered from a trailer. My guess is that this "rag tag, bunch of misfits production crew" intends to see the whole book through come Hell or high water. Hollywood be damned, this novel will be seen by anyone who wants to see it in movie form, start to finish.

I've yet to see or hear any radio or television advertising or promotion but more than ever before, I'm convinced the full trilogy will happen. (there was some reasonable doubt after part one) Though book fans and armature philosophers continue to buy Ayn Rand's books by the thousands each year, a few more thousand of the aliterate or lazier (or blue collar busier) fans are still to be made.

Saw it tonight, opening night. Wonderful. Absolutely riveting! A real emotional roller coaster that left me wanting part III now. I'd also add kudos to the casting director. The actors were PERFECT for their roles. Down side? One scene, which I won't detail as I don't want to spoil anything, seemed out of place and unnecessary. Other than that, fabulous!

'Atlas' is part of the garbage that permeates the minds of the naive and immature privileged elite and entitled upper classes in America. It is hero worship and self centered narcissism that forgets how we got here.

- Whittaker Chambers 1957 Review of Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged -

"... Out of a lifetime of reading, I can recall no other book in which a tone of overriding arrogance was so implacably sustained. Its shrillness is without reprieve. Its dogmatism is without appeal. In addition, the mind, which finds this one natural to it, shares other characteristics of its type. 1) It consistently mistakes raw force for strength, and the rawer the force, the more reverent the posture of the mind before it. 2) It supposes itself to be the bringer of a final revelation. Therefore, resistance to the Message cannot be tolerated because disagreement can never be merely honest, prudent or just humanly fallible. Dissent from revelation so final (because, the author would say, so reasonable) can only be willfully wicked. There are ways of dealing with such wickedness, and, in fact, right reason itself enjoins them. From almost any page of Atlas Shrugged, a voice can be heard, from painful necessity, commanding: " To the gas chambers &#8212; go!" The same inflexibly self-righteous stance results, too (in the total absence of any saving humor), in odd extravagances of inflection and gesture &#8212; that Dollar Sign, for example. At first, we try to tell ourselves that these are just lapses, that this mind has, somehow, mislaid the discriminating knack that most of us pray will warn us in time of the differences between what is effective and firm, and what is wildly grotesque and excessive. Soon we suspect something worse. We suspect that this mind finds, precisely in extravagance, some exalting merit; feels a surging release of power and passion precisely in smashing up the house. A tornado might feel this way, or Carrie Nation.

We struggle to be just. For we cannot help feel at least a sympathetic pain before the sheer labor, discipline and patient craftsmanship that went to making this mountain of words. But the words keep shouting us down. In the end that tone dominates. But it should be its own antidote, warning us that anything it shouts is best taken with the usual reservations with which we might sip a patent medicine. Some may like the flavor. In any case, the brew is probably without lasting ill effects. But it is not a cure for anything. Nor would we, ordinarily, place much confidence in the diagnosis of a doctor who supposes that the Hippocratic Oath is a kind of curse." http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/2705853/posts

and http://www.usmessageboard.com/writing/50820-atlas-panted.html also http://www.usmessageboard.com/economy/50564-libertarianism-in-a-nutshell-ii.html

Saw it tonight, opening night. Wonderful. Absolutely riveting! A real emotional roller coaster that left me wanting part III now. I'd also add kudos to the casting director. The actors were PERFECT for their roles. Down side? One scene, which I won't detail as I don't want to spoil anything, seemed out of place and unnecessary. Other than that, fabulous!

To eflatminor: After watching trailers I suspect that the filmmaker is trying to combine Orwell&#8217;s masterpiece &#8212;&#8212; 1984 &#8212;&#8212; with Rand&#8217;s masterpiece. I am also sensing that Cold fusion is being hinted at. I have no trouble with combining masterpieces to make a point, but Cold fusion contains all of the elements of another &#8220;clean energy&#8221; investment scam.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back