Assault rifles for self defense

This is such a huge country with vastly different terrain and citizens. It is not one size fits all. What "no one needs" in some low crime college town, people do need in rural or wilderness areas or in high crime areas.

I lived in Bellingham, WA, a lovely low crime area. Still, I had to deal with the coyotes when they came down thinking the llamas at the lodge were easy prey. You'd think they would scatter at the sound of the first shot. Well, they don't. I'm 5' 3 1/2" (yeah, Cajuns are small). What weapon would you recommend to defend the llamas and chickens? How about when the berries start coming in and the stray bear or two comes down for the bounty. I don't go looking for bears and would prefer to just back up/retreat. That doesn't always work, though. (I've never had to fire at a bear, thank God, but I was armed just in case). What weapon would you recommend for someone of my size in that situation?

Back home, what would you recommend during Katrina, when 911 was useless and half the police force walked off? Talk about scary!

I've never been to Alaska or North Dakota or Montana or countless other places I imagine guns aren't just for nuts, so I would not dream of telling those people what "no one needs."

I'm not some extremist hoarding guns out of paranoia, but there have been a few times in my life I have been thankful to be able to be armed. Before you start dictating what "no one needs," please at least take into consideration that other people live elsewhere. If you don't want guns in your town or city, fine, but please leave me and my community to decide for ourselves.

This does not need to be one all-encompassing rule that covers the entire country alike. This should not be a federal issue, but a local one. New Orleans is not Cambridge, which is not Gatlinburg ...

This is such a huge country with vastly different terrain and citizens. It is not one size fits all. What "no one needs" in some low crime college town, people do need in rural or wilderness areas or in high crime areas.

I lived in Bellingham, WA, a lovely low crime area. Still, I had to deal with the coyotes when they came down thinking the llamas at the lodge were easy prey. You'd think they would scatter at the sound of the first shot. Well, they don't. I'm 5' 3 1/2" (yeah, Cajuns are small). What weapon would you recommend to defend the llamas and chickens? How about when the berries start coming in and the stray bear or two comes down for the bounty. I don't go looking for bears and would prefer to just back up/retreat. That doesn't always work, though. (I've never had to fire at a bear, thank God, but I was armed just in case). What weapon would you recommend for someone of my size in that situation?

Back home, what would you recommend during Katrina, when 911 was useless and half the police force walked off? Talk about scary!

I've never been to Alaska or North Dakota or Montana or countless other places I imagine guns aren't just for nuts, so I would not dream of telling those people what "no one needs."

I'm not some extremist hoarding guns out of paranoia, but there have been a few times in my life I have been thankful to be able to be armed. Before you start dictating what "no one needs," please at least take into consideration that other people live elsewhere. If you don't want guns in your town or city, fine, but please leave me and my community to decide for ourselves.

This does not need to be one all-encompassing rule that covers the entire country alike. This should not be a federal issue, but a local one. New Orleans is not Cambridge, which is not Gatlinburg ...

I am an advocate of local control, but per the 14th, local communities cannot violate the constitution, thus the prohibition of guns by a local community is not permitted.

"Assault weapons", such as the AR-15, are suitable for ALL of the tradtionally lawful uses we have for fireams, including self defense.

It is imposisble to argue against theis irrefutable fact.

[

Nothing has changed in Japan. A businessman in America who makes a bad deal will be fired. In Japan, they will be ordered to commit suicide, and they'll do it. It happens every, single day.

Just noticed this post again and had to laugh at how ridiculous it was.

The assault rifle is the gunnuts religious icon and phallic symbol all in one silly peice. They have no reasonable civilian use, designed for the sole purpose of killing other human beings. But the "Conservatives", in their bed wetting paroxyms of fear of everything that is not them, consider the killing of fellow human beings to be the ultimate test of manhood.

"Assault weapons", such as the AR-15, are suitable for ALL of the tradtionally lawful uses we have for fireams, including self defense.

And absolutely perfect for cleaning out a crowded gradeschool room, or shopping mall.

assault rifle definition

The Truth About Assault Weapons

since "assault weapon" was an invented term, it had no technical meaning. Before assault weapons could be banned, legislators had to define them.
Because assault rifles were already banned, and because an outright ban on semi-automatic firearms wasn't considered politically feasible, the AWB defined assault weapons as semi-automatic firearms that shared too many cosmetic features with their fully automatic counterparts.
These banned "military-style" features included certain combinations of collapsible stocks...

...flash hiders......and pistol grips, none of which actually made the firearms more lethal

In 2004, the Federal Assault Weapons Ban expired. It was not renewed. The AWB had failed to have an impact on gun crime in the United States. A 2004 Department of Justice report concluded:

Furthermore, legislators had misjudged the popularity of so-called assault weapons. In his memoir, Bill Clinton wrote that Democrats lost control of Congress in the 1994 midterm elections because of the AWB. Other Democrats have stated that the AWB may have cost Al Gore the 2000 presidential election.

It has been estimated that at least 3.3 million AR-15 rifles were sold in the United States between 1986 and 2009. In its ubiquity, the AR-15 is a modern musket—the default rifle with which law-abiding Americans exercise their right to keep and bear arms.

According to Senator Feinstein, so-called assault weapons have been used in 385 murders since the AWB expired in 2004, or about 48 murders per year. But there were 8,583 total murders with guns in the United States in 2011, meaning so-called assault weapons were used 0.6% of the time.

The truth about assault weapons is that there is no such thing. So-called assault weapons are semi-automatic firearms—the guns most commonly used by millions of law-abiding Americans.

No corporation, lobby, or political action committee had any part in the creation or funding of this educational project. It is solely the work of an individual.

now.., isn't this just one of most beautiful SEMI AUTOMATIC RIFLES anyone has ever seen AND it is NOT AN ASSAULT RIFLE !!

ar15_1.jpg

The assault rifle is the gunnuts religious icon and phallic symbol all in one silly peice. They have no reasonable civilian use, designed for the sole purpose of killing other human beings. But the "Conservatives", in their bed wetting paroxyms of fear of everything that is not them, consider the killing of fellow human beings to be the ultimate test of manhood.
Thank you yet again for helping to prove that anti-gun loons can only argue from emotion, ignorance and/or dishonesty.

Fact:
Fact:
It is imposisble to soundly argue against this irrefutable fact.

And absolutely perfect for cleaning out a crowded gradeschool room, or shopping mall.
Thank you yet again for helping to prove that anti-gun loons can only argue from emotion, ignorance and/or dishonesty.

So based on the CHANCE of someone using a weapon for criminal activites, I have to lose my right to own said weapon, even with no prior bad acts and no current indication of any potential malicous activities?

So I guess because I MAY use fighting words on someone, I have to be gagged and prevented from speaking entirely.
again, no one is talking about complete gun elimination, but it has been shown already that certain weapons in the hands of the public do not serve a public good. these include assault weapons and high capacity magazines. no one is talking about complete gun elimination, but if you are a real hunter, there a number of weapons available that are not assault weapons that have very high rankings.

50 Best Hunting Rifles of the Past 10 Years -- Photo 18 | Outdoor Life

The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting. it is about a citizen soldier army. High capacity magazines and supposed assault rifles are EXACTLY what it protects.

Describe, in detail, EXACTLY what an "assault rifle" is. Be specific.

Or don't, and admit you're as full of shit as I expect you are.

This thread is a fine example of why America will NEVER be disarmed.

Any why Obama got his gun bill shoved up his arse

-Geaux

So based on the CHANCE of someone using a weapon for criminal activites, I have to lose my right to own said weapon, even with no prior bad acts and no current indication of any potential malicous activities?

So I guess because I MAY use fighting words on someone, I have to be gagged and prevented from speaking entirely.
again, no one is talking about complete gun elimination, but it has been shown already that certain weapons in the hands of the public do not serve a public good. these include assault weapons and high capacity magazines. no one is talking about complete gun elimination, but if you are a real hunter, there a number of weapons available that are not assault weapons that have very high rankings.

50 Best Hunting Rifles of the Past 10 Years -- Photo 18 | Outdoor Life

The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting. it is about a citizen soldier army. High capacity magazines and supposed assault rifles are EXACTLY what it protects.

Incorrect.

It concerns the right to self-defense and the right of the individual to own a firearm pursuant to self-defense:

Self-defense is a basic right, recognized by many legal systems from ancient times to the present, and the Heller Court held that individual self-defense is “the central component” of the Second Amendment right. 554 U. S., at ___, ___. Explaining that “the need for defense of self, family, and property is most acute” in the home…

By the 1850’s, the fear that the National Government would disarm the universal militia had largely faded, but the right to keep and bear arms was highly valued for self-defense.

Mv. CHICAGO

Consequently it’s nonsense to ‘argue’ that bans on AR-type weapons and high capacity magazines are un-Constitutional because ‘citizen soldiers’ need to be as well-armed as soldiers in the US military and reserves.

Instead, Bans on AR-type rifles with high capacity magazines are un-Constitutional because there is no rational basis for such bans, there is no legitimate legislative end, and there is no objective, documented evidence that these restrictions will have the desired effect.

Indeed, the evidence clearly shows that the great bulk of firearm violence occurs with handguns, not semi-automatic rifles, regardless their magazine capacity.

Given these facts, AR 15s, AK/M-type rifles, and their many and various clones are obviously weapons ‘in common use at the time,’ their possession subject to Constitutional protection.

Forum List

Back