Asimov's Foundation

Just started reading this book after seeing it recommended everywhere. I think it's a trilogy.

But I noticed something weird. 15 chapters in and there's no women, not even a waitress at a restaurant or the mention of some guy's wife.

WTF?

Then I looked up the publish date, 1951.

Things were different back then.

Lots of stuff stolen from "Foundation" wound up in other books, movies, etc. The "hive city" is one of them.

Very good, even if it's 70+ years old.
The trilogy is excellent. More women will pop up.

Irrelevant and non-sequitur. How does that follow from anything I said at all?

What is laughable is that you think a fiction work of the past must be changed in order to put it on TV today, or that decisions made in the 1940s somehow reflect upon the future.

I guess if you were to produce Gone With The Wind, you'd put Whoopi Goldberg in charge of the plantation?

I feel sorry for future generations forced to read history books rewritten by PC police.

PS: I'm currently working on a rewrite of the novel ROOTS, except this time, the main character is a little Jewish boy from Brooklyn. :smoke:

First of all, I am not talking about rewriting history books. So spare us that bullshit.

I am not saying that anything MUST be changed. I am saying that the producers and writers changed it to appeal to a wider audience and reflect the likelihood of a wide range of people in the situation depicted in the movie. The idea that in an entire galaxy, every planet would be ruled by or represented by white men is ridiculous.

Very few. The main characters were mostly Negroes in addition to many of the background characters. It was like the damn thing was filmed in Nigeria or something.

The woke Hollywood shitheads did that on purpose to show diversity. They think it is required nowadays and it is despicable.

Reminds me of a few years ago when HBO did the story of Troy and most of the cast were Negroes. Unwatchable.

The Foundation series was a great work of art and Hollywood had to fuck it up with filthy ass woke shit.

As I said, if you focused solely on the race and gender of the actors, you missed a very good tv series.

You think it is a filthy piece of shit? How about you pony up the money and make your own?

The blatant racism exhibited by the filthy casting department of the series by casting so many goddamn Negroes diminishes all of us.

I am not diminished at all. And it is not the cast that diminishes you. It your unabashed ignorance that does that.

The fact that the race and gender of the actors matters more to you than the characters speaks volumes.

I think you've missed the point, WB. Maybe you see a 1940s novel as racist because it didn't have any overtly non-white characters, or maybe you see someone objecting to the changes as being racist. What I think is really being objected to here is the idea that someone should change all the characters AS A FORM OF SOCIAL PROGRAMMING that we should all see things in a certain way, where every white family has black and asian friends, and every workspace has an engineered diversity of ethnicities even if they had to skip over countless better qualified white people to get just the right balance.

Maybe you don't mind being reprogrammed or socially re-engineered while others do. Me, I hope I don't wake up one of these days finding the Mona Lisa changed or banned because Leonardo da Vinci only painted white people.

Very few. The main characters were mostly Negroes in addition to many of the background characters. It was like the damn thing was filmed in Nigeria or something.

The woke Hollywood shitheads did that on purpose to show diversity. They think it is required nowadays and it is despicable.

Reminds me of a few years ago when HBO did the story of Troy and most of the cast were Negroes. Unwatchable.

The Foundation series was a great work of art and Hollywood had to fuck it up with filthy ass woke shit.
Work of art? That's going a little far. Asimov wrote what sells and had no interest in producing "art". In those days scifi was a genre for kids and teens mass produced like a factory good.

Its funny, when someone talks about the original, written in 1951, it is all "Things were different back then". But now it is horrible that all the characters are not white guys.

Here is an Asimov quote that fits the topic:
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

Isaac Asimov was a very progressive writer. He spoke out on equality for women. spoke against racism and even promoting equal rights for homosexuals (read The Naked Sun - published in 1956)

All very nicely irrelevant because the Foundation trilogy CONTAINED NO SUCH NEGROES. And Apple didn't put them in for any other reason than PC correctness even if it cost them, money.

Mind you, I'm not objecting to black or female actors, write me a story that calls for them and I am fine. I'm objecting to taking an already existing work (Foundation won awards!) and changing it to fit in with racially-motivated standards.

If you want another good science fiction trilogy, read "The Three Body Solution."

It's hard SF, meaning it tries to use real science for everything but extrapolating it out for 50-100 years from now.

It's written by a Chinese guy. It's a little funny seeing a Chinese hero when all the heroes you've seen are American.

First of all, I am not talking about rewriting history books. So spare us that bullshit.
But history books ARE being rewritten. When I went to school, Geo Washington, Thom Jefferson, Adams, Franklin and all were GOOD guys.

I am not saying that anything MUST be changed. I am saying that the producers and writers changed it to appeal to a wider audience and reflect the likelihood of a wide range of people in the situation depicted in the movie.
If the Foundation series must be changed to appeal to a wider audience, then either that audience is more concerned about the race of the people as you said, or less concerned about the actual story line! The reality is that such PC tampering offends a lot of people who won't go see it as a result. All that was really needed was to make the cast multi-cultural to achieve the same end, by staying true to the story while finding ways of inserting some black characters consistent with the actual story line.

The idea that in an entire galaxy, every planet would be ruled by or represented by white men is ridiculous.
Again, who is saying that? But what would you think if an ostensibly black novel was rewritten to now contain 90% whites in all the lead roles? There would be riots in the streets and you know it. What Apple did was as Flash said, it was just another ass-pucker to the black community as was all of 2020, which is actually far more racist than anything they are allegedly "solving."

BTW, sometimes things turn out that a situation really is mostly all just black people or white people, too! It is a possible roll of the dice and does not necessarily indicate racism is afoot.

If you want another good science fiction trilogy, read "The Three Body Solution."

It's hard SF, meaning it tries to use real science for everything but extrapolating it out for 50-100 years from now.

It's written by a Chinese guy. It's a little funny seeing a Chinese hero when all the heroes you've seen are American.
Hidden gem: Greatwinter trilogy by Sean Mcmullen. You will not regret it.

Wow, a proud racist writes ^^^. Does anyone other than another racist believe this poster is one of the most problematic issues facing our country.

There is nothing worthy of anything he posts. The more he and others like him continue to be pathologic racists, the more divisive our population becomes.

The filthy woke shitheads says it is racist to have mostly Whites in Movies, TV shows and Commercials.

However, the hypocritical assholes think it is not racist to have a cast predominately of goddamn Negroes like we see in Foundation and almost everything else made nowadays..

The filthy woke shitheads says it is racist to have mostly Whites in Movies, TV shows and Commercials.

However, the hypocritical assholes think it is not racist to have a cast predominately of goddamn Negroes like we see in Foundation and almost everything else made nowadays..

Mostly negroes? No. Now if you include all people of color it might be half. But that is it.

Forum List

Back