Zone1 Asbury Professor: We’re Witnessing a ‘Surprising Work of God

JustAGuy1

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2019
Most Wednesday mornings at Asbury University are like any other. A few minutes before 10, students begin to gather in Hughes Auditorium for chapel. Students are required to attend a certain number of chapels each semester, so they tend to show up as a matter of routine.

But this past Wednesday was different. After the benediction, the gospel choir began to sing a final chorus—and then something began to happen that defies easy description. Students did not leave. They were struck by what seemed to be a quiet but powerful sense of transcendence, and they did not want to go. They stayed and continued to worship. They are still there.

I teach theology across the street at Asbury Theological Seminary, and when I heard of what was happening, I immediately decided to go to the chapel to see for myself. When I arrived, I saw hundreds of students singing quietly. They were praising and praying earnestly for themselves and their neighbors and our world—expressing repentance and contrition for sin and interceding for healing, wholeness, peace, and justice.

Revival is here.

If what is reported is actually true, there will be an explanation for the abnormal behaviour that doesn't require the religious supernatural.

p.s. Can anyone else find the contradiction in the story?

If what is reported is actually true, there will be an explanation for the abnormal behaviour that doesn't require the religious supernatural.

Sorry but you're wrong. You do not have the ability to understand any of it.

You hate religion and spit on God, yet, you are in this forum often. Why?

If you hadn't made Canada look bad before, how do we look now?
I don't hate religion; I'm just very much opposed to it's influence on young children who are lied to by their parents about the existence of a god.
There is no god to spit on.

I'm going to continue to take part on the religion section of the forum, but in a polite and decent way, as opposed to some of the Christians who are soiling their own nest.

I don't hate religion; I'm just very much opposed to it's influence on young children who are lied to by their parents about the existence of a god.
There is no god to spit on.

I'm going to continue to take part on the religion section of the forum, but in a polite and decent way, as opposed to some of the Christians who are soiling their own nest.

You aren't "taking part" you are belittling peoples beliefs. No one attacks you for being Atheist, but you attack us.

There will be a day where we will all pass. You accept that you don't have a soul then?

You aren't "taking part" you are belittling peoples beliefs. No one attacks you for being Atheist, but you attack us.
I haven't attacked anyone for their religious views, but I have attacked the religious views.
There will be a day where we will all pass. You accept that you don't have a soul then?
No, I don't accept that I have a soul in the sense that Christians imagine a soul. Modern science is clear on the reasons why they believe as they do.

I understand why my kindness and offer of help has caused you so much concern and uncomfortable feeling. You can't understand why an atheist would be the only one to care.

I haven't attacked anyone for their religious views, but I have attacked the religious views.

No, I don't accept that I have a soul in the sense that Christians imagine a soul. Modern science is clear on the reasons why they believe as they do.

I understand why my kindness and offer of help has caused you so much concern and uncomfortable feeling. You can't understand why an atheist would be the only one to care.

No, I was an Atheists for much of my life, I know how it is to feel soulless but still be a good human being and ask "why should I submit to fables, I am a good human anyways".

The issue with you, seems to be in my estimation; that you over estimate the type of person you are. You may not be a good human at all but you aren't aware of it. Or, more than likely, you just don't care what people think of you.

I believe in God. I hope Jesus is the prophet for a number of reasons. I've been through so much in my life and I am currently going through maybe the toughest time, so I don't know if I will last much longer. One fact I assure you, is that I will NOT tell a lie while I am here, I want no room for error if I am judged.

In the end, I may die alone, with no one at my bedside, sadly. For some reason I suspect you may also experience your last moments alone. You can change. Even if you don't want to embrace God at least embrace change. NO amount of money or power is worth your soul...

Last edited:
You don't have it in you to have respectful conversations. That's why I'm going to continue to take part on the religion section of the forum, but in a polite and decent way of beating your ass at every turn. :)

Last edited:

It's called agape love.

Thank you. We can disagree civilly and politely, without you questioning my ability.
Actually he was quite civil. His assessment is entirely correct. You don't possess that ability because you are blinded by irrational bias against people of faith.

I don't hate religion
That might even be true... a little. You hate Christianity and Christians. I'm guessing it has something to do with homosexuality. But whatever it is, there is little doubt that you condemn respect for Christians.

No, I was an Atheists for much of my life, I know how it is to feel soulless but still be a good human being and ask "why should I submit to fables, I am a good human anyways".

The issue with you, seems to be in my estimation; that you over estimate the type of person you are. You may not be a good human at all but you aren't aware of it. Or, more than likely, you just don't care what people think of you.

I believe in God. I hope Jesus is the prophet for a number of reasons. I've been through so much in my life and I am currently going through maybe the toughest time, so I don't know if I will last much longer. One fact I assure you, is that I will NOT tell a lie while I am here, I want no room for error if I am judged.

In the end, I may die alone, with no one at my bedside, sadly. For some reason I suspect you may also experience your last moments alone. You can change. Even if you don't want to embrace God at least embrace change. NO amount of money or power is worth your soul...
I'm sorry to hear that. If you ever need to talk send a PM. No judging, no advice just listening.

Do us all a favor and put yourself on ignore

I appreciate it Ding, it's just not good right now. I am afraid of myself and I know that only God can save me at this point. My country just isn't what we should be.
Whenever or never. Entirely up to you.

No one's country is. It's the cycle of nations. Which not coincidentally seems to apply to individuals as well.

1676601909198.png

Thank you. We can disagree civilly and politely, without you questioning my ability.

I was very civil and I was very accurate in my statement.

1 Corinthians 2:14
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness unto him; neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

I was very civil and I was very accurate in my statement.

1 Corinthians 2:14
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness unto him; neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
1 Donald 1:1
It's all embellishment, rhetoric, false innuendos, and allegory

Forum List

Back