As an existential necessity, the GOP needs to eviscerate higher education.

So why is it that these people who didn’t need education eschew social distancing? Even if they were Biblical there was more than adequate precedence for it.

Yet these people believed in bleach or some other snake oil cure. They believed it was God’s will.

I’ve always wondered about people who claim their lives is part of God’s plan. What if God’s plan is merely to use you as an example for others? What if your entire life is just for a moment when a woman points to you and says to her child. “Do you see what happens when you don’t go to College?”

Or those who proclaimed Ivermectin as the miracle cure because they read it on Twitter. Those folks like the Police Captain above. I wonder if God’s plan for him was just to serve as an example that you really shouldn’t get your medical advice from internet morons.

Those morons screaming masks don’t work. If the Surgeon went to perform an operation on them or their family without a Mask they would go apocalyptically furious and sue everyone in sight.

But in the end. I figure our species is doomed either way. Either the smart people will create a Skynet to wipe us all out. Or the stupid people will spread the next bubonic plague among us while proclaiming that chewing gum is the miracle cure.
Ask those people.

I don't pretend to speak for anyone else

FYI lots of people with educations and college degrees disagreed with mask mandates and social distancing rules. In fact Sweden "eschewed" social distancing and mask mandates during COVID so is it your assertion that everyone in Sweden is uneducated and ignorant?

Democracy is demographic destiny.

... In state after state, fast-growing, traditionally liberal college counties... are flexing their muscles, generating higher turnout and ever greater Democratic margins. They’ve already played a pivotal role in turning several red states blue — and they could play an equally decisive role in key swing states next year...

Name the flagship university — Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Ohio, Texas, Virginia, among others — and the story tends to be the same. If the surrounding county was a reliable source of Democratic votes in the past, it’s a landslide county now...

The American Communities Project... designates 171 independent cities and counties as “college towns.” In a combined social science/journalism effort based at the Michigan State University School of Journalism, the ACP uses three dozen different demographic and economic variables in its analysis such as population density, employment, bachelor’s degrees, household income, percent enrolled in college, rate of religious adherence and racial and ethnic composition.

Of those 171 places, 38 have flipped from red to blue since the 2000 presidential election. Just seven flipped... from blue to red, and typically by smaller margins. Democrats grew their percentage point margins in 117 counties, while 54 counties grew redder. By raw votes, the difference was just as stark: The counties that grew bluer increased their margins by an average of 16,253, while Republicans increased their margins by an average of 4,063...

Many populous urban counties that are home to large universities don’t even make the ACP’s “college towns” list because their economic and demographic profiles differentiate them from more traditional college counties. Among the missing are places like the University of Texas’ Travis County, where the Democratic margin of victory grew by 290,000 votes since 2000, and the University of New Mexico’s Bernalillo County, where the margin grew by 73,000 votes. The University of Minnesota’s Hennepin County has become bluer by 245,000 votes...
There’s no single factor driving the college town trend. In some places, it’s an influx of left-leaning, highly educated newcomers, drawn to growing, cutting-edge industries advanced by university research or the vibrant quality of life. In others, it’s rising levels of student engagement on growing campuses. Often, it’s a combination of both.

What’s clear is that these places are altering the political calculus across the national map. Combine university counties with heavily Democratic big cities and increasingly blue suburbs, and pretty soon you have a state that’s out of the Republican Party’s reach...

None of this has gone unnoticed by the GOP, which is responding
in ways that reach beyond traditional tensions between conservative lawmakers and liberal universities — such as targeting students’ voting rights, creating additional barriers to voter access or redrawing maps to dilute or limit the power of college communities. But there are limits to what those efforts can accomplish. They aren’t geared toward growing the GOP vote, merely toward suppressing Democratic totals.

“The data sure seem to suggest younger voters are leaning much more Democratic in recent years and, perhaps more concerning for the Republicans, the GOP seems to be struggling more broadly with college-educated voters. In the longer term, that may mean these voters may stay Democratic — or at least stay Democratic longer than they might otherwise,” says Dante Chinni, director of the ACP. “In addition, polls show Republicans are increasingly distrustful of higher education institutions. That probably doesn’t help in the longer term either.”

[‘This Is a Really Big Deal’: How College Towns Are Decimating the GOP]

If you are attempting to claim that academic achievement is bad for individuals and for the nation, the better-educated states demonstrate otherwise.

If you are attempting to claim that academic achievement is bad for individuals and for the nation, the better-educated states demonstrate otherwise.
I guess it depends on the type of academic achievement you are speaking of.

I don't think a person with an academic degree in "Women's Studies" or "Communications" is necessarily better educated than I am even though I have no college degree.

I have taken about 300 college credits in various subjects. I have audited too many classes and lecture to count and am self taught in lots of other skills.

According to you because I don't have a degree and am largely self taught I have no academic achievement and therefore must be less educated and less better off than the guy with a useless degree who will be working at Starbucks for the rest of his life.

Ask those people.

I don't pretend to speak for anyone else

FYI lots of people with educations and college degrees disagreed with mask mandates and social distancing rules. In fact Sweden "eschewed" social distancing and mask mandates during COVID so is it your assertion that everyone in Sweden is uneducated and ignorant?

I wonder. If we prohibited false equivalency would you all be able to respond?

Worse is when your examples don’t actually show what you imagine they do.

While Sweden had a lower rate of infection than many other European Countries. They had a higher rate of infection than other Scandinavian countries. So would they have saved more lives with the mask mandate? Yes. The evidence is unequivocal and the board charged with doing a report concluded it was a mistake not to do what the other nations had done.

But of course you don’t know that. It seems your intelligence is lacking some vital information.

I’ve never heard one of you masks don’t work morons demand that the surgeon not wear one.

I guess it depends on the type of academic achievement you are speaking of.

I don't think a person with an academic degree in "Women's Studies" or "Communications" is necessarily better educated than I am even though I have no college degree.

I have taken about 300 college credits in various subjects. I have audited too many classes and lecture to count and am self taught in lots of other skills.

According to you because I don't have a degree and am largely self taught I have no academic achievement and therefore must be less educated and less better off than the guy with a useless degree who will be working at Starbucks for the rest of his life.
I recognize that areas of academic concentration vary, but do not make value judgements concerning them. In general, those fortunate enough to earn a college degree seem to do well. I know of no state that considers having a lower level of education makes it superior.

Just as the nation has become more racially and ethnically diverse, it also has become better educated. Still, just 36% of registered voters have a four-year college degree or more education; a sizable majority (64%) have not completed college. Democrats increasingly dominate in party identification among white college graduates – and maintain wide and long-standing advantages among black, Hispanic and Asian American voters. Republicans increasingly dominate in party affiliation among white non-college voters, who continue to make up a majority (57%) of all GOP voters.
[In Changing U.S. Electorate, Race and Education Remain Stark Dividing Lines]

I wonder. If we prohibited false equivalency would you all be able to respond?

Worse is when your examples don’t actually show what you imagine they do.

While Sweden had a lower rate of infection than many other European Countries. They had a higher rate of infection than other Scandinavian countries. So would they have saved more lives with the mask mandate? Yes. The evidence is unequivocal and the board charged with doing a report concluded it was a mistake not to do what the other nations had done.

But of course you don’t know that. It seems your intelligence is lacking some vital information.

I’ve never heard one of you masks don’t work morons demand that the surgeon not wear one.

And yet Sweden still exists the people there are still alive

And where did I ever say masks didn't work?

Quote the post.

You said that ignorant uneducated people disagreed with masking and social distancing I proved you wrong. There were plenty of educated people who disagreed with those government policies.

I recognize that areas of academic concentration vary, but do not make value judgements concerning them. In general, those fortunate enough to earn a college degree seem to do well. I know of no state that considers having a lower level of education makes it superior.

Just as the nation has become more racially and ethnically diverse, it also has become better educated. Still, just 36% of registered voters have a four-year college degree or more education; a sizable majority (64%) have not completed college. Democrats increasingly dominate in party identification among white college graduates – and maintain wide and long-standing advantages among black, Hispanic and Asian American voters. Republicans increasingly dominate in party affiliation among white non-college voters, who continue to make up a majority (57%) of all GOP voters.
[In Changing U.S. Electorate, Race and Education Remain Stark Dividing Lines]
Funny that guy with the useless degree working at Starbucks won't retire financially independent at age 51 like I did will he?

Neither will the majority of people with Bachelors or Masters' degrees because while they were in school they were not earning anything and after they got out they owed tens of thousands of dollars they have to pay back with interest.

Funny that guy with the useless degree working at Starbucks won't retire financially independent at age 51 like I did will he?

Neither will the majority of people with Bachelors or Masters' degrees because while they were in school they were not earning anything and after they got out they owed tens of thousands of dollars they have to pay back with interest.
If you have any credible studies that show that non-college graduates earn more than college graduates, you have yet to cite them.

All I can find confirm the contrary.

Of course, higher earnings are not the only benefit of higher education.

If you have any credible studies that show that non-college graduates earn more than college graduates, you have yet to cite them.

All I can find confirm the contrary.

Of course, higher earnings are not the only benefit of higher education.
What you don't seem to understand is that it's not necessarily how much you earn but rather how much you save.

And as I said I have taken literally hundreds of credits of college classes and audited countless lectures for free. I just never got a degree because unlike you I know I didn't need a degree to be successful and I certainly did not have to take on tens of thousands in debt to do so.

I will put my "higher" education against the average college graduate's any day and I already know what my earnings were in comparison as well.

And yet Sweden still exists the people there are still alive

And where did I ever say masks didn't work?

Quote the post.

You said that ignorant uneducated people disagreed with masking and social distancing I proved you wrong. There were plenty of educated people who disagreed with those government policies.

And I showed those people suffered a greater infection rate and loss of life than similar nations with those rules in effect. So you were proven what?

And I showed those people suffered a greater infection rate and loss of life than similar nations with those rules in effect. So you were proven what?

That was their choice was it not?

All I said was that plenty of educated people disagreed with mask mandates and social distancing which basically disproved your "only the uneducated and ignorant eschewed social distancing."

What you don't seem to understand is that it's not necessarily how much you earn but rather how much you save.

And as I said I have taken literally hundreds of credits of college classes and audited countless lectures for free. I just never got a degree because unlike you I know I didn't need a degree to be successful and I certainly did not have to take on tens of thousands in debt to do so.

I will put my "higher" education against the average college graduate's any day and I already know what my earnings were in comparison as well.
Threads like these are only vain attempts to appear superior. People with these sorts of insecurities are like moths to a flame when presented opportunities to indulge in virtue signaling for the same reason.

As far as educational level, the proof is in the pudding as far as I'm concerned and posting endless drivel like he does is not an indication of one.

I far prefer smart people like you lacking a college degree over mindless conformist dumb shits that have one.

A lot of the angst would go away if states would require college students to register/vote in the states they come from. Every state I know of has absentee balloting for such things.

Just because a out of state student goes to UVA there is no reason they can't register/vote in the state they hail from.
Well once they are sophomores they would be citizens yes?

Well once they are sophomores they would be citizens yes?
A college dorm should not be considered a residence. They have little skin in the game as far as the area goes. They need to vote in their own states and/or districts if they are in-state students.

If you are a professor and live year-round on campus provided housing that's just fine.

Off campus is fine too as the student (or parents) are paying property taxes and have skin in the game.

A college dorm should not be considered a residence. They have little skin in the game as far as the area goes. They need to vote in their own states and/or districts if they are in-state students.

If you are a professor and live year-round on campus provided housing that's just fine.

Off campus is fine too as the student (or parents) are paying property taxes and have skin in the game.
Thats an interesting distinction actually.

Democracy is demographic destiny.

... In state after state, fast-growing, traditionally liberal college counties... are flexing their muscles, generating higher turnout and ever greater Democratic margins. They’ve already played a pivotal role in turning several red states blue — and they could play an equally decisive role in key swing states next year...

Name the flagship university — Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Ohio, Texas, Virginia, among others — and the story tends to be the same. If the surrounding county was a reliable source of Democratic votes in the past, it’s a landslide county now...

The American Communities Project... designates 171 independent cities and counties as “college towns.” In a combined social science/journalism effort based at the Michigan State University School of Journalism, the ACP uses three dozen different demographic and economic variables in its analysis such as population density, employment, bachelor’s degrees, household income, percent enrolled in college, rate of religious adherence and racial and ethnic composition.

Of those 171 places, 38 have flipped from red to blue since the 2000 presidential election. Just seven flipped... from blue to red, and typically by smaller margins. Democrats grew their percentage point margins in 117 counties, while 54 counties grew redder. By raw votes, the difference was just as stark: The counties that grew bluer increased their margins by an average of 16,253, while Republicans increased their margins by an average of 4,063...

Many populous urban counties that are home to large universities don’t even make the ACP’s “college towns” list because their economic and demographic profiles differentiate them from more traditional college counties. Among the missing are places like the University of Texas’ Travis County, where the Democratic margin of victory grew by 290,000 votes since 2000, and the University of New Mexico’s Bernalillo County, where the margin grew by 73,000 votes. The University of Minnesota’s Hennepin County has become bluer by 245,000 votes...
There’s no single factor driving the college town trend. In some places, it’s an influx of left-leaning, highly educated newcomers, drawn to growing, cutting-edge industries advanced by university research or the vibrant quality of life. In others, it’s rising levels of student engagement on growing campuses. Often, it’s a combination of both.

What’s clear is that these places are altering the political calculus across the national map. Combine university counties with heavily Democratic big cities and increasingly blue suburbs, and pretty soon you have a state that’s out of the Republican Party’s reach...

None of this has gone unnoticed by the GOP, which is responding
in ways that reach beyond traditional tensions between conservative lawmakers and liberal universities — such as targeting students’ voting rights, creating additional barriers to voter access or redrawing maps to dilute or limit the power of college communities. But there are limits to what those efforts can accomplish. They aren’t geared toward growing the GOP vote, merely toward suppressing Democratic totals.

“The data sure seem to suggest younger voters are leaning much more Democratic in recent years and, perhaps more concerning for the Republicans, the GOP seems to be struggling more broadly with college-educated voters. In the longer term, that may mean these voters may stay Democratic — or at least stay Democratic longer than they might otherwise,” says Dante Chinni, director of the ACP. “In addition, polls show Republicans are increasingly distrustful of higher education institutions. That probably doesn’t help in the longer term either.”

[‘This Is a Really Big Deal’: How College Towns Are Decimating the GOP]

Schitlips is making less sense than ever.

There is no “existential necessity” for the GOP to gut the Dept. of Education.

However, there are some damn fine reasons to gut the GOP.

Threads like these are only vain attempts to appear superior. People with these sorts of insecurities are like moths to a flame when presented opportunities to indulge in virtue signaling for the same reason.

As far as educational level, the proof is in the pudding as far as I'm concerned and posting endless drivel like he does is not an indication of one.

I far prefer smart people like you lacking a college degree over mindless conformist dumb shits that have one.

I have to say I much prefer the company of people who work with their hands and their minds.

Not just their minds

As I said I have had the privilege to know people who never had the opportunity to go to college that these snobs here would look down on that are far and above far more intelligent than any average college grad I have ever met

Forum List

Back