Arrested for carrying a Utility knife! OK to sell gravity knifes but not to carry

Penelope

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2014
Take the case of Richard Gonzalez, a laborer Vance prosecuted in 2011 for the Husky utility knife he bought at Home Depot. The tool he had in his possession is exceedingly common, and generally used to cut drywall. Its exposed blade is about an inch long. When he was contacted by police in a subway station, Gonzalez wasn’t accused of using the knife to harm anyone, or even threatening to do so. But when an officer spotted it in his pocket, and found that it could be snapped open with a flick, he was arrested. Vance prosecuted Gonzalez’ case aggressively, and he ultimately served four years in state prison.

Snip

But there is no evidence that gravity knives, as a class, are especially prone to use in crime. And oddly enough, the law is almost never enforced outside of New York City. In contrast, as many as 70,000 people in the five boroughs have been arrested under the statute in the past 10 years, according to statistics compiled by the Legal Aid Society.

About 84 percent of defendants were people of color, and a disproportionate number of them were prosecuted in Vance’s jurisdiction. One study found that Vance’s office had prosecuted about four times as many felony gravity knife cases as the rest of the city’s DAs combined.

Public defenders complain that the law is little more than an easy way for officers to pad their arrest numbers in a quota-driven system. Maybe most maddening for lawyers who defend these cases is that such knives are still sold openly at retailers all over the city. The Legal Aid Society last year found more than 100 stores selling them in Manhattan alone. One hardware store on Gold Street in Lower Manhattan, a few blocks from Vance’s own office, has such knives in their front window.

While Vance has prosecuted scores of contractors, construction workers and other working people for their tools, he has not levied criminal charges against a single retailer for selling those same knives.

New York Just Saved a Law Used to Jail Thousands of Minorities

---------------------------------------------
So ok for stores to sell utility knives and gravity knifes, just not ok to carry them.

Same DA in this thread.

This looks a bit dodgy

Knives are a gateway weapon. Next thing you know hes buying an AR and shooting up a school, amiright?

Its ridiculous that carrying a knife is illegal

I did not grow up in NY------it was a WELL KNOWN fact amongst 'us kids' that
carrying ANY KIND OF A SWITCH BLADE was-------a "big crime"------possibly the
law is not ADVERTISED as such in New York. There should be signs all over the city to WARN people not to carry them. I is possible that innocent people are sometimes 'trapped"

Knives are a gateway weapon. Next thing you know hes buying an AR and shooting up a school, amiright?

He was carrying a utility knife, a tool used for drywall. You just made my case for not selling AR's or assault weapons, thank you.

Why are not the stores fined for carrying gravity knifes?? Try if you can.

law is not ADVERTISED as such in New York. There should be signs all over the city to WARN people not to carry them. I is possible that innocent people are sometimes 'trapped"

Not ok for knives but ok for guns. This is also about the DA of NY. He seems to be a racist and also in pay to play schemes.

He was carrying a utility knife, a tool used for drywall. You just made my case for not selling AR's or assault weapons, thank you.

New York is a shithole communist, totalitarian state. Anyone who chooses to remain there is either on the “in”. Or fucking a fool.
Secondly the idea that the stores should be fined is nonsensical. Teams should show up at the stores and arrest the management, and charge them to the fullest extent of the law. But that would stymie the tax revenue...

New York is a shithole communist, totalitarian state. Anyone who chooses to remain there is either on the “in”. Or fucking a fool.
Secondly the idea that the stores should be fined is nonsensical. Teams should show up at the stores and arrest the management, and charge them to the fullest extent of the law. But that would stymie the tax revenue...

So how do you feel about guns and gun stores?

That they’re legal. So is possession. New York agrees. If only barely...

law is not ADVERTISED as such in New York. There should be signs all over the city to WARN people not to carry them. It is possible that innocent people are sometimes 'trapped"

Not ok for knives but ok for guns. This is also about the DA of NY. He seems to be a racist and also in pay to play schemes.

the gun laws in NYC are VERY STRICT------no---it is not ok for guns either. As to SELLING the switch blade type construction tool----why should that be a
crime----seems like a bonafide tool for people engaged in construction---
bu

very barely----it is not easy to get a license to carry a gun in New York

Shit I must have over a dozen of those Husky utility knives. If I don't have one in my pocket then it's in the car or truck.

And for the record it's a razor blade in a holder and the actual cutting edge that is exposed is very small , less than half the length of the razor blade so when one corner of the blade gets dull or chipped you can use the other corner

And it's not really a gravity knife because it can't just be flicked open. There is a thumb stud and the spring is very tight

I'm one of those guys who always carries a pocket knife

law is not ADVERTISED as such in New York. There should be signs all over the city to WARN people not to carry them. It is possible that innocent people are sometimes 'trapped"

the gun laws in NYC are VERY STRICT------no---it is not ok for guns either. As to SELLING the switch blade type construction tool----why should that be a
crime----seems like a bonafide tool for people engaged in construction---
bu

very barely----it is not easy to get a license to carry a gun in New York
I know. I grew up in New York state. If possession of this knife is punishable by law... Then the stores are not only in possession; they are selling contraband weapons. In a lawful government you can't have it both ways...

Shit I must have over a dozen of those Husky utility knives. If I don't have one in my pocket then it's in the car or truck.

And for the record it's a razor blade in a holder and the actual cutting edge that is exposed is very small , less than half the length of the razor blade so when one corner of the blade gets dull or chipped you can use the other corner

And it's not really a gravity knife because it can't just be flicked open. There is a thumb stud and the spring is very tight

Same here. I never have less than two...

s

with switch blade mechanism?

s

with switch blade mechanism?-----for no reason---just for hanging out
in front of the local store front?

s

It isn’t a “switch blade mechanism”. It’s “assisted opening”. And there is a difference.

s

Hanging out in front of what store? WTF are you babbling about?

s

That utility knife is not a switch blade it is a one handed opening and the blade (razor) must be manually opened all the way before it locks

A gravity knife usually has the blade contained in the handle and when a release is pressed and the knife is pointing down the blade will simply slide out

An automatic opening knife is one that at the push of a release will snap all the way open and lock by way of a spring

There are out the front automatic knives as well

s

It isn’t a “switch blade mechanism”. It’s “assisted opening”. And there is a difference.
It's not even assisted opening

s

people can be arrested in NYC for standing around-----in possession of
"burglary tool"-----which is not much more than a crow bar. Also---one can be arrested for being in possession of a little glass decorative pipe thing-----a little mirror -----and a razor blade. It is the apparatus for debasing heroin to make
CRACK-----or whatevah.

s

people can be arrested in NYC for standing around-----in possession of
"burglary tool"-----which is not much more than a crow bar. Also---one can be arrested for being in possession of a little glass decorative pipe thing-----a little mirror -----and a razor blade. It is the apparatus for debasing heroin to make
CRACK-----or whatevah.
New York is a shithole that uses its citizenry to keep its prison industry stocked. Anyone who stays living under those conditions is an idiot, rich, or incapable of escaping.

Forum List

Back