Army and Marine Corps chiefs: It’s time for women to register for the draft

I didn't know that registering was for males only, I thought that when everyone turned 18 they had to register.

Good. Since the military is finally getting gender equality, women SHOULD be required to register.

I know I had to when I turned 18.

I am absolutely against women serving in combat MOSs. However, the decision has been made. Therefore, women should indeed be required to register for the draft (even though there hasn't been one since 1973) when they are 18 years of age.

Equal means equal.

You ask for it, now you got it, Ooh Rah...

Generals Say Women Should Have to Register for Draft
Published February 2, 2016

WomeninMilitary%281%29.jpg

The top Army and Marine Corps generals say they believe all women should have to register for the draft now that combat jobs are open to them.

The military service leaders say they will not lower standards to bring women into the more grueling jobs.

Generals Say Women Should Have to Register for Draft

Drafting women a hard sell in Congress...

Conservative Leaders Oppose Call to Require Young Women to Register for Draft
February 9, 2016 | Conservative leaders are opposiong the position taken by top military commanders that all young women be required to register with the Selective Service System, with Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) summing up the mood of many on the Right: “I do not want to see my 15-year-old daughter drafted.”
In December, Defense Secretary Ash Carter announced that all combat positions without exception – including those in elite special forces units - would be open to women, and ordered all service chiefs to submit plans to implement the new policy by January 1. Last week, top military brass told the Senate Armed Services Committee that all young women should also be required to register with Selective Service. “I think that all eligible and qualified men and women should register for the draft,” said Army Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Milley.

But when CNSNews.com asked conservative leaders: “Do you support requiring all young American women to register for the draft?” the response was overwhelmingly negative. "No. I do not want to see my 15-year-old daughter drafted into the military and every mother and father I've talked to in Utah feels the same," Sen. Lee told CNSNews.com. ”I do not support putting women into direct combat and I think including young women in draft registration is a terrible idea,” agreed Gary Bauer, president of American Values. "Requiring women to register for Selective Service is unequal and unfair to women and certainly harmful to the military," Elaine Donnelly, president of the Center for Military Readiness (CMR), told CNSNews.com. "Selective Service is a low-cost insurance policy to provide 'combat replacements' in the event of a national emergency. It is exactly the opposite of choice. "Ordering women into the same combat environment on the same basis as men is not giving them an equal opportunity to survive," Donnelly pointed out. "The most recent research backs up that fact."

According to a special interim report released in December by CMR, a Marine Corps study found that “the assessment across all occupational specialties revealed that gender-integrated teams, squads, or crews demonstrated, with very few exceptions, degraded performance… directly related to the physiological differences between males and females.” The Pentagon’s “plan to order women into direct ground combat units by January 2016 would needlessly harm military women, men in the combat arms, and the All-Volunteer Force on which national security depends,” the CMR report concluded.

Major Michael Berry, a former active duty Marine officer and JAG attorney who is currently director of military affairs at the Liberty Institute, told CNSNews.com that drafting women is a “dangerous” idea that “disregards the natural differences between men and women.” “It also raises a lot of questions: Will women be allowed to be conscientious objectors because of their sincere religious belief that women should not be conscripted to fight wars?” Berry asked. “Will they conscript women who are pregnant or have young children? “This is just another step towards removing constitutional protections that have existed since the time of our nation’s founders in the name of political correctness,” he added. “We are quite firmly against women being required to register for selective service,” David Theroux, founder and president of the Independent Institute, told CNSNews.com. “This is just more inane, ‘progressive’ (i.e. authoritarian) involuntary servitude, all in the name of feminism.” “We do not support women in combat, and therefore also do not support registration for the draft,” Charles Orndoff, administrative vice president of Americans for Constitutional Liberty, formerly known as the Conservative Caucus, told CNSNews.com.

MORE

I agree; not doing so would be sexist, right?

The top officers in the Army and Marine Corps testified on Tuesday that they believe it is time for women to register for future military drafts, following the Pentagon’s recent decision to open all jobs in combat units to female service members.
Fair is fair. I have a somewhat embarrassing question, though, if anyone with military background could answer it. I'm a small female who was never blessed with a muscular frame. A literal 5'1" 98 pound weakling. Even at 18, I couldn't walk miles carrying a 70 pound pack of gear. 8 weeks of boot camp couldn't possibly have gotten me there. Maybe 8 years. If women are obligated to serve, I have no problem with that, but what happens to the women like me who aren't "rugged" enough to compete with the men physically? Is there another capacity in which we could serve? I could certainly learn to shoot a gun, peel potatoes, drive a jeep.
I notice Israel used to have an auxiliary service for women (since women also do compulsory service in Israel) and they got rid of it, I guess, because it was discriminatory--women had no choice and couldn't participate in combat. I'm just a little worried about this. It would be a shame to waste the talent of a lot of small people.

Uncle Ferd quit datin' tattooed womens - he says dey spank too hard...
:omg:
Marines Update Uniform Policy to Allow Some Tattooed Women to Enlist
Mar 14, 2016 | A small change in Marine Corps uniform policy will allow women with some chest tattoos to enlist, according to an announcement from a Maine lawmaker.
Rep. Chellie Pingree wrote Marine Corps Commandant Gen. Robert Neller in February on behalf of Kate Pimental of Kennebunk, Maine, who wanted to enlist but was disqualified because of a tattoo that arched below her collarbone. Pimental, she said, met all other requirements for enlistment but could not obtain a tattoo waiver because of existing regulations. Because female Marines were not permitted to wear crew-neck undershirts with their uniforms unlike their male counterparts, Pingree said, the regulations unfairly discriminated against some women. "Male recruits get a waiver when they have a tattoo like Kate's because they can wear a T-shirt that covers it up," Pingree wrote in the letter. "But because the Marine Corps uniform for women is cut lower, the same tattoo on a female recruit effectively keeps her from enlisting. That's not right and it keeps smart, capable women like Kate from being able to serve her country."

female-marines-iraq-600.jpg

Marines with the Lioness Program refill their rifle magazines during the live-fire portion of their training at Camp Korean Village, Iraq​

But an administrative message quietly released March 10 changed the game for Pimental. The message authorized crew-neck undershirts as well as V-neck undershirts for female Marines, noting that Marines can choose which they prefer in most cases. When a formation or ceremony calls for uniformity, the commander can request that all troops wear the crew-neck undershirt, the message notes. Male Marines already have the option of wearing the white crew-neck or V-neck undershirt, or no undershirt, beneath their service "C" and dress "D" uniforms, according to the Marine Corps order governing uniform regulations. A Marine official confirmed the policy update was related to Pingree's request. "This was a common-sense change and will allow bright, dedicated young women like Kate to serve their country proudly as a Marine," Pingree said in a news release published today. "I don't believe the old policy was intentionally discriminatory, but in the end it prevented women with some tattoos from enlisting when their male counterparts with the same tattoos were allowed to sign up. I'm grateful to General Neller for listening to our concerns and appreciate him acting to quickly change the policy."

Pimental, 20, did not immediately respond to Military.com messages requesting comment. But she was quoted in Pingree's statement expressing excitement over the policy update. "There is nothing I want more than to be able to serve as a Marine," she said. "And I'm so grateful that Congresswoman Pingree stood up for me and helped get this policy changed." Her tattoo reads, in a navy-blue script, "Let your smile change the world, but never let the world change you."

Marines Update Uniform Policy to Allow Some Tattooed Women to Enlist | Military.com

I'm against the draft all together. The US has the most powerful military in history and its an all volunteer force.

The top officers in the Army and Marine Corps testified on Tuesday that they believe it is time for women to register for future military drafts, following the Pentagon’s recent decision to open all jobs in combat units to female service members.
Fair is fair. I have a somewhat embarrassing question, though, if anyone with military background could answer it. I'm a small female who was never blessed with a muscular frame. A literal 5'1" 98 pound weakling. Even at 18, I couldn't walk miles carrying a 70 pound pack of gear. 8 weeks of boot camp couldn't possibly have gotten me there. Maybe 8 years. If women are obligated to serve, I have no problem with that, but what happens to the women like me who aren't "rugged" enough to compete with the men physically? Is there another capacity in which we could serve? I could certainly learn to shoot a gun, peel potatoes, drive a jeep.
I notice Israel used to have an auxiliary service for women (since women also do compulsory service in Israel) and they got rid of it, I guess, because it was discriminatory--women had no choice and couldn't participate in combat. I'm just a little worried about this. It would be a shame to waste the talent of a lot of small people.

Join the Navy, I think the minimum height requirement is 4 ft, 10 in.

And, you won't have to carry your house on your back, it will travel with you wherever you go, as well as allow you to see more countries and do more things.

And, if you're good with math and electronics, there are LOTS of jobs that you could do, both in surface Navy and aviation.

Men who fail to register more than 30 days after their eighteenth birthday are ineligible for federal jobs.

No women have registered and many, many, many have gone well beyond their eighteenth birthday and have been hired into government jobs. So there clearly is unconstitutional discrimination on the basis of gender.

So what's to be the remedy?

I'd favor dismissing all the women illegally hired and make the process start over for those jobs - with the playing field leveled and all those shut-out males in competition. Just to be fair.

Oh, and then either end the draft entirely or make it constitutionally equal.

And, you won't have to carry your house on your back, it will travel with you wherever you go, as well as allow you to see more countries and do more things.

And, if you're good with math and electronics, there are LOTS of jobs that you could do, both in surface Navy and aviation.

And, God forbid, when your "house" gets blown out from under you, you get eaten by sharks.

My Son served in the Navy (WEPS on a guided missile cruiser) and my Daughter served as a JAG officer. When they asked for volunteers to serve on a ship she said "nope".

Their dumbass Father was a grunt in Viet Nam. And yes, I volunteered for that shithole.

And, God forbid, when your "house" gets blown out from under you, you get eaten by sharks.

My Son served in the Navy (WEPS on a guided missile cruiser) and my Daughter served as a JAG officer. When they asked for volunteers to serve on a ship she said "nope".

Their dumbass Father was a grunt in Viet Nam. And yes, I volunteered for that shithole.

Probably one of the safest places to be during a war would be a carrier. Not only do they have their own weapons systems and defensive measures, but they are guarded by several other ships.

Besides, how many ships have been blown out of the water since the end of WWII?

Probably one of the safest places to be during a war would be a carrier. Not only do they have their own weapons systems and defensive measures, but they are guarded by several other ships.

Well, that's true. But the ME is a powder keg. Anything could happen at any time. We also (if I remember correctly) haven't lost but one M1 Abrams tanks since the beginning of Iraq - but I don't want to be cooped in one of those beasts, either. Give me open country with the sky above me with a decent rifle and I'm happy.

Well, that's true. But the ME is a powder keg. Anything could happen at any time. We also (if I remember correctly) haven't lost but one M1 Abrams tanks since the beginning of Iraq - but I don't want to be cooped in one of those beasts, either. Give me open country with the sky above me with a decent rifle and I'm happy.

You're right, anything could happen at any time, but speaking as someone who has actually served on a carrier and knows a bit about their weapons and defensive systems, I felt pretty safe being on there.

Shoot..............one time in the early 90's (during Desert Storm), we were coming through the Straits of Hormuz and Iran sent over a couple of gun boats to mess with us. Well.............we launched the alert aircraft, and they buzzed the gunboats only a couple of hundred feet off the deck and told them that if we made another pass, it wasn't going to be buzzing, but rather shooting.

They turned around quickly and went back. Pissed me off because it happened about 0830 or 0900 in the morning, and I had just gotten off of my shift (midnight to 8), and was pissed that I had to sit at GQ for 3 hours because Iran had a hard on and wanted to stir up trouble.

Nope, the only place safer than a carrier is a boomer sub.

You're right, anything could happen at any time, but speaking as someone who has actually served on a carrier and knows a bit about their weapons and defensive systems, I felt pretty safe being on there.

Shoot..............one time in the early 90's (during Desert Storm), we were coming through the Straits of Hormuz and Iran sent over a couple of gun boats to mess with us. Well.............we launched the alert aircraft, and they buzzed the gunboats only a couple of hundred feet off the deck and told them that if we made another pass, it wasn't going to be buzzing, but rather shooting.

They turned around quickly and went back. Pissed me off because it happened about 0830 or 0900 in the morning, and I had just gotten off of my shift (midnight to 8), and was pissed that I had to sit at GQ for 3 hours because Iran had a hard on and wanted to stir up trouble.

Nope, the only place safer than a carrier is a boomer sub.

The only problem that I see - with ANY branch of the military is complacence. USS Cole? It only takes letting your guard down for a minute.

Men who fail to register more than 30 days after their eighteenth birthday are ineligible for federal jobs.

No women have registered and many, many, many have gone well beyond their eighteenth birthday and have been hired into government jobs. So there clearly is unconstitutional discrimination on the basis of gender.

So what's to be the remedy?

I'd favor dismissing all the women illegally hired and make the process start over for those jobs - with the playing field leveled and all those shut-out males in competition. Just to be fair.

Oh, and then either end the draft entirely or make it constitutionally equal.
You DO know that the Constitution expressly forbids ex post facto laws, right?

Just in case we get invaded by the jihadis or the Chinamen...
icon17.gif

McConnell: 'I Suppose' Women Should Be Required to Register With Selective Service
May 18, 2016 | Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) says he does't anticipate "going back to the draft," but nevertheless, he thinks "it would be appropriate" for young women to register with the Selective Service.
A reporter asked McConnell on Tuesday if he anticipates a separate Senate vote on an amendment requiring women to register for the draft. The amendment is attached to the Senate's National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA). "Do I expect what on NDAA?" McConnell responded. He said he was having a hard time hearing. "A separate vote on whether women should be required to register for the draft?" the reporter repeated. "Oh, well, I don't know. I mean, it will be open for amendment," McConnell said.

"And how do you feel about that?" the reporter followed up. "My personal view is, given where we are today, I don't anticipate a draft, but if you're talking about registering for the Selective Service system, I think since women are serving in the military, they should be eligible to be in Selective Service themselves. That's my view."

Should women be "required to register?" the reporter asked. "I'm not sure. Required, I suppose. We'll see. What's in the bill? Required?" the Senate leader asked. "Look, first of all, I don't anticipate going back to the draft. The professional voluntary Army has been very successful. We're talking here about registration for Selective Service, should we ever go back to a draft. "And given where we are today, with women in the military performing virtually all kinds of functions, I personally think it would be appropriate for them to register just like men do."

The Republican-led House Rules Committee on Tuesday dropped an amendment to the House version of the NDAA that would have required women to register with Selective Service the same way men must do. But the Senate legislation includes a similar amendment, so the issue is not settled.

McConnell: 'I Suppose' Women Should Be Required to Register With Selective Service

I can see it coming. Institute a recompensatory draft....one where no males can be drafted until a number of females equal to all the males whose lives were disrupted over the last century - and you'd see a sudden epidemic of once-female trannies trying to stitch on cadaver penises.

Forum List

Back