Armed to defend your home and family? You might want to think again.

I don't lock my doors & never worry about it.
Anyone coming at here night better identify themselves quick & loud because I'm a light sleeper & they will be outgunned.
Those cops should be fired & face charges for such an egregiously violent reaction to innocent citizens on their own property

After the mexican debacle we moved to a gated community.
No one ever knocks on the front door.
If they're friends they come to the side door off the driveway.

Had a car park in my driveway about 11:30 one night, and just sat there with the lights on. Grabbed my 38 and went to the door in my underwear. When I opene the door, they hit me with a spotlight and said over the speaker to come out and show my hands. Dropping the gun inside by the door, I complied. I stood there in 35 degree weather for what seemed like forever, but was probaably just a few minutes until they turned off the spotlight and drove away. Found out later that they had a warrant for somebody in the next block. They were at the wrong house.

Better to come out in your skivvies than to have em kick down the door.

I don't lock my doors & never worry about it.
Anyone coming at here night better identify themselves quick & loud because I'm a light sleeper & they will be outgunned.
Those cops should be fired & face charges for such an egregiously violent reaction to innocent citizens on their own property
The homeowner was a moron for stepping through his door and pointing a weapon at a police officer who was not even on his porch. The homeowner is unquestionably at fault.

After the mexican debacle we moved to a gated community.
No one ever knocks on the front door.
If they're friends they come to the side door off the driveway.
The Ayoob video on this thread hit the nail on the head. I had a similar situation when I was a young buck of 20 and was awakened by police at 3 am. I was upset and rose, cussing and berating the cops--"WTF, I've been in bed for two hours, what do they want?" My new wife, said "Now don't be that way." Turns out some lowlife POS had taken a sledgehammer to my car and they were there to notify me---I sure felt small after that encounter. Be that as it may--don't open the door for someone at 3 am if you don't know who they are and definitely don't point a gun at someone until you know who THEY are.

I don't know what I'd do until the time comes. It depends on whether someone is knocking on the door or trying to break it down. I would either open the door empty handed or look through the 30 holes I put in the door in order to see what and how many were laying on the porch.

So I shouldn't have the right to defend myself and/or family because some cops killed an innocent man?

Isn’t it smarter to find out as much as you can before you commit? Because make no mistake, when you have a gun in your hand you have committed to life and death.

Tuck it into your waistband. Able to get to it fast if needed, and out of sight if it isn’t.

In problem solving it is called gathering information. In the Army it is called assessing the situation. Both mean the same thing. Finding out as much as you can about what is going on. The more you know the better you can manage the situation.

I don’t know, I could be wrong. But I think the homeowner believed there was someone outside doing some stupid shit. Some boys hoping to get the teenaged daughter to come outside. Or some drunk idiots at the wrong house. I suspect he intended to send a strong message with the gun. But in the split second that his appearance shocked the cops all they saw was a man with a gun. Their training is to draw and fire fast.

It is why I said that there should be no charges for the cops. They were at the wrong house. Yes. But they didn’t go around the back peeking in windows. They were in the front to make proper contact. Their training is to shoot anyone coming at them with a gun. Well anyone who isn’t a fellow cop.

So instead of angrily stomping to the door to scare off whoever it was the smart move is and was to find out what is going on. Or at least take a moment to look outside. If you see cops don’t have the gun in hand. They don’t know you don’t want to shoot them. They are trained to assume the intent is hostile.

The Ayoob video on this thread hit the nail on the head. I had a similar situation when I was a young buck of 20 and was awakened by police at 3 am. I was upset and rose, cussing and berating the cops--"WTF, I've been in bed for two hours, what do they want?" My new wife, said "Now don't be that way." Turns out some lowlife POS had taken a sledgehammer to my car and they were there to notify me---I sure felt small after that encounter. Be that as it may--don't open the door for someone at 3 am if you don't know who they are and definitely don't point a gun at someone until you know who THEY are.

These mexicans were bold!!
They knocked on my door in the middle of the day.

The homeowner answers the door with a gun and is shot dead by police.
The mistake was answering the door at all, gun notwithstanding.

My friends and family all text first before coming over, otherwise I don’t answer the door.

If someone unknown is pounding on my door, I’ll call 911 who will notify LEO they’ve got the wrong house.

The mistake was answering the door at all, gun notwithstanding.

My friends and family all text first before coming over, otherwise I don’t answer the door.

If someone unknown is pounding on my door, I’ll call 911 who will notify LEO they’ve got the wrong house.

So waiting for em to kick in your door is the better option?
If that happens the police are really pissed at that point. I would say calling 911 might have stopped this but with response times these days it may not be enough.

He should have heard the police announce themselves and kept the gun hidden when he opened the door.

So waiting for em to kick in your door is the better option?
If that happens the police are really pissed at that point. I would say calling 911 might have stopped this but with response times these days it may not be enough.

He should have heard the police announce themselves and kept the gun hidden when he opened the door.

Also- it seems a negligent use of 911. Calling because you don't know who is at your door seems a bit of over-reaction and may be taking officers away from someone with an actual need.

In bright blue NM. Why am I not surprised? They never pulled the trigger eh? That seems to be the defense in that state. Kind of like Alec Baldwin?
Albuquerque police made a snuff flick out of the James Boyd case. What do you expect after that?

The homeowner was a moron for stepping through his door and pointing a weapon at a police officer who was not even on his porch. The homeowner is unquestionably at fault.
I never saw him point it at the officer.
Did his wife pick it up & point it at them as well? Is that why they killed her too?

We live in a free country where we have a right to own & bare arms. Does that not count on your own property or is it OK but not if armed agents of the govt come to your door in the middle of the night?

So he had a weapon on him, a gun, at home & the absolute right to have it on his person, especially on his own property. Would it still be a justified cop shooting if it was a sword instead of a gun?
A bat?
A letter opener?

In that situation, where they showed up at the wrong house in the night banging on the door, you think it's OK to fire upon the occupant at their discretion?
Where do you draw the line?

Also- it seems a negligent use of 911. Calling because you don't know who is at your door seems a bit of over-reaction and may be taking officers away from someone with an actual need.

If you're innocent a call to 911 would be better than getting shot if you knew the cops were at your door.
Witch the the guy should have known since they announced themselves.

It happened about 1:20 in the video and it is very clear.
Is that why they killed her too?
The video does not say his wife was killed. It states that his daughter called in that her father had been shot.
So he had a weapon on him, a gun, at home & the absolute right to have it on his person, especially on his own property.
Certainly he has that right. He did not have the right to point it at a cop who was standing a fair distance from the door. All three cops shot him when he pointed the gun. If I was the cop, I would have done the same thing. As for the sword, bat comment--it has been done before. I do not agree with that but it has happened. I also have knowledge of an incident where a cop shot a 12 year old in the head with a 12 ga. shotgun in his bedroom while the cop had his boot on the kids neck--it was ruled accidental--that was a definite miscarriage of justice.
I draw it at the point that the homeowner stepped through the door and pointed the weapon at LE.

Did his wife pick it up & point it at them as well? Is that why they killed her too?

We live in a free country where we have a right to own & bare arms. Does that not count on your own property or is it OK but not if armed agents of the govt come to your door in the middle of the night?

So he had a weapon on him, a gun, at home & the absolute right to have it on his person, especially on his own property. Would it still be a justified cop shooting if it was a sword instead of a gun?
A bat?
A letter opener?

In that situation, where they showed up at the wrong house in the night banging on the door, you think it's OK to fire upon the occupant at their discretion?

Ok. Let’s discuss this. You do have the right to keep and even bear arms. However, there is some responsibility that comes with that.

One of the points of debate in the McMichaels shooting of Arbery was the use of the Shotgun. It was
Maintained by me and a few others that Junior was committing Aggravated Assault by Georgia law when he stepped into the street to confront Arbery while holding the shotgun.

When you point or appear with a gun in hand the other person is certainly going to perceive that as a threat. You would. I would. Anyone would. And the question now becomes who can shoot first.

The weapon is the ultimate escalation. You can’t go back from there. Taking things down from there is extremely difficult and takes time. Time for the shock, and adrenaline to dissipate. Time you likely don’t have.

So having a gun close for protection may be wise. But leading with it means you can’t step back and talk easily.

So I shouldn't have the right to defend myself and/or family because some cops killed an innocent man?
This is idiotic and ridiculous.

It has nothing to do with the right to defend oneself and possess firearms; and no one is saying citizens shouldn’t have or exercise those rights.

Exercise the right to not open the door, rendering the possession of guns moot.

So here is what happened. The Police receive a 911 call about a domestic disturbance. They go to the house across the street. They bang on the door. The lights are out inside. They bang twice more. The homeowner answers the door with a gun and is shot dead by police.

They were at the wrong house. The man was going to defend his home and family. Right?

You need to think before you get your guns. The cops don’t know you are a good guy. They just see the gun and kill you. This wasn’t the first good guy with a gun killed. And it won’t be the last.

So should the cops be charged with a crime? You decide. My own opinion is no. But I’m interested in hearing your thoughts.
You're an idiot.

Forum List

Back