Arizona columnist gets it right on the nose

The hispanic vote is but a small percentage of voters. Most of them will vote democratic no matter the issue. According to most polls they say that the majority of hispanic voters do NOT favor an amnesty nor do they favor rewarding the illegals for entering the country illegally. It is ludicrous to hold us hostage because of a small group who will do anything in order to force the government to give them the type of amnesty that was given in 1986. I am of the opinion that D.C. is using this false info (that they will lose the support of latinos) to keep from addressing this very serious problem.

Just watch. After they rush through immigration reform, we'll find out about the 'expedited' process available, and we'll have 10 million+ freshly 'legal' aliens voting.

I'm still worried about November.

Just watch. After they rush through immigration reform, we'll find out about the 'expedited' process available, and we'll have 10 million+ freshly 'legal' aliens voting.

I'm still worried about November.

No worries, other than ACORN now being broken up into a thousand smaller harder to follow organizations.

Anything you do on the border will never stop the drug smugglers, they will just find a new way in, something they have proven everytime.

Then they will be dealing with others armed as themselves, not farmers and families. the border can be closed or at least made much less porous and much more dangerous for those crossing.

You are not getting what I am saying.
If you close the border in the south, they will just come in somehwere else. And the problem will just move to another state. These people have millions of dollars to figure out a new plan. The only thing that will stop the smugglers is stopping The War on Drugs.

And you are not getting what I'm saying. Close the border and the cartels will need to keep their violence in Mexico. The drugs will surely make their way here, they always have. BTW once again our take on drug laws seems to be the same or close.

azcentral.com blogs - Laurie Roberts' Columns & Blog - LaurieRoberts - Arizona immigration law: Are you listening, Mr. President?

Mr. President, are you listening? Secretary Napolitano, remember us?

If you or your predecessors had done something to close the nation's back door, we wouldn't be in this fix, where U.S. citizens are left to wonder whether they'll be asked for their papers simply because of the color of their skin. Where our ranchers live in a war zone and our largest city is the kidnapping capital of the planet.

Where everybody is now dug in to whichever foxhole they've chosen in this fight – alien invader or noble immigrant -- with little room for middle ground or rational discussion.

A few hours before Brewer signed the bill, President Obama stood in his Rose Garden and lashed out at SB 1070, saying it threatens “to undermine basic notions of fairness that we cherish as Americans, as well as the trust between police and our communities that is so crucial to keeping us safe.”

He's right. But this bill is now state law because the trust between our communities and our federal government was long ago broken.

It is because of Washington's steadfast refusal to do its job that we find ourselves where we are today – when half of Arizona Democrats, 69 percent of independents and a whopping 84 percent of Republicans support SB 1070, according to the latest Rasmussen Poll of likely voters.

Dismiss this, if you like, as the work of the “radical fringe”, as Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund did on Friday. But 70 percent of likely voters supported this law.

The way things are going, we very well could have Sen. J.D. Hayworth, Gov. Joe Arpaio and Attorney General Andy Thomas running this place by the end of the year.

Can you hear us now, Mrs. Pelosi? And you, Harry Reid?

I'm assuming that you can because by the end of the week, immigration reform rocketed up Washington's to-do list, above climate-change legislation – and this during Earth Day week.

“Surely we can all agree that when 11 million people in our country are living here illegally, outside the system, that's unacceptable,” Obama said Friday. “The American people demand and deserve a solution. And they deserve common-sense, comprehensive immigration reform grounded in the principles of responsibility and accountability.”

They do. But first, they deserve to know that Uzi toting drug runners and human smugglers are no longer running through our desert.

Brewer's been asking for National Guard troops to be sent to the border for 13 months, as then-Gov. Janet Napolitano did before her.

If we are now a police state, it's because nobody's been listening.

IMO there are serious constitutional and civil rights issues with the law. But the passage of the law is having one positive effect: It's making national (DC) politicians acknowledge the elephant in the room.

The one part of the law that they got dead on was the imposition of stiff penalties to companies or individuals who employ illegal aliens.

Except the democratic solution is MORE amnesty. That is NOT what Arizona wants and it is NOT what most Americans want.

azcentral.com blogs - Laurie Roberts' Columns & Blog - LaurieRoberts - Arizona immigration law: Are you listening, Mr. President?

Mr. President, are you listening? Secretary Napolitano, remember us?

If you or your predecessors had done something to close the nation's back door, we wouldn't be in this fix, where U.S. citizens are left to wonder whether they'll be asked for their papers simply because of the color of their skin. Where our ranchers live in a war zone and our largest city is the kidnapping capital of the planet.

Where everybody is now dug in to whichever foxhole they've chosen in this fight – alien invader or noble immigrant -- with little room for middle ground or rational discussion.

A few hours before Brewer signed the bill, President Obama stood in his Rose Garden and lashed out at SB 1070, saying it threatens “to undermine basic notions of fairness that we cherish as Americans, as well as the trust between police and our communities that is so crucial to keeping us safe.”

He's right. But this bill is now state law because the trust between our communities and our federal government was long ago broken.

It is because of Washington's steadfast refusal to do its job that we find ourselves where we are today – when half of Arizona Democrats, 69 percent of independents and a whopping 84 percent of Republicans support SB 1070, according to the latest Rasmussen Poll of likely voters.

Dismiss this, if you like, as the work of the “radical fringe”, as Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund did on Friday. But 70 percent of likely voters supported this law.

The way things are going, we very well could have Sen. J.D. Hayworth, Gov. Joe Arpaio and Attorney General Andy Thomas running this place by the end of the year.

Can you hear us now, Mrs. Pelosi? And you, Harry Reid?

I'm assuming that you can because by the end of the week, immigration reform rocketed up Washington's to-do list, above climate-change legislation – and this during Earth Day week.

“Surely we can all agree that when 11 million people in our country are living here illegally, outside the system, that's unacceptable,” Obama said Friday. “The American people demand and deserve a solution. And they deserve common-sense, comprehensive immigration reform grounded in the principles of responsibility and accountability.”

They do. But first, they deserve to know that Uzi toting drug runners and human smugglers are no longer running through our desert.

Brewer's been asking for National Guard troops to be sent to the border for 13 months, as then-Gov. Janet Napolitano did before her.

If we are now a police state, it's because nobody's been listening.

IMO there are serious constitutional and civil rights issues with the law. But the passage of the law is having one positive effect: It's making national (DC) politicians acknowledge the elephant in the room.

The one part of the law that they got dead on was the imposition of stiff penalties to companies or individuals who employ illegal aliens.

Except the democratic solution is MORE amnesty. That is NOT what Arizona wants and it is NOT what most Americans want.

I agree with you that most Americans do not want amnesty. Most are not against immigration, but in favor of, just not illegal. As for Democrats being for amnesty, seems the last several Republican administrations have been also, including Reagan.

I agree with you that most Americans do not want amnesty. Most are not against immigration, but in favor of, just not illegal. As for Democrats being for amnesty, seems the last several Republican administrations have been also, including Reagan.

Supporting Amnesty is a nice way of saying that they support allowing others to break the law so they can suck up to them.

Personally I wouldn't vote for some lying jerk who feels that granting special favors to someone is a good way to get elected or pass a bill. But that is your average run of the mill Democrat these days. Breaking the law....breaking the law..........breaking the law...breaking the law.

I vaguely remember that Irvine, CA legislated a very similar law as the one AZ did. Now I hear the crime is way down and there was never any thing said about racial profiling in that town. I really think that it should be given a chance to see how it works. My worry is that now most of the 400,000 illegals in AZ will head to CA.

I vaguely remember that Irvine, CA legislated a very similar law as the one AZ did. Now I hear the crime is way down and there was never any thing said about racial profiling in that town. I really think that it should be given a chance to see how it works. My worry is that now most of the 400,000 illegals in AZ will head to CA.

Like it could get any worse

Forum List

Back