Arizona columnist gets it right on the nose

If we are now a police state, it's because nobody's been listening.
Right...And they're not listening on purpose because a police state is the end game.

But Arizona failed to recognize is that the goon squad in the District of Criminals that wants to be calling the shots.

Byoking and the rest of his Stalinist pom-pom club are only outraged because Arizona is horning in on what they perceive as their turf.

Where I live there are illegals, but haven't had major issues outside of Chicago. I'm sure there are drug connections, which IMHO is currently the looming problem in SW. It's not the 'illegals' coming for jobs that are the problem, but the drug cartels.

When the economy first started it's downward slide, illegal workers were the main issue for Americans throughout the country, now it's the illegal drug runners and they are beyond dangerous. It reemphasizes the need for border control and I hope all the states join AZ, if the feds refuse to do one of the few things they are supposed to do.
Let's see if I get this right...

The drug runners and gangs are responsible for the violence, so it's the immigration laws which need to be changed.

Huh,WHA? :confused:

Simple 2 step program.

1. Seal the border.

2. Deport any and all who are here illegally.

Never clean up the rain water until after you have closed the window.

Simple 2 step program.

1. Seal the border.

2. Deport any and all who are here illegally.

Never clean up the rain water until after you have closed the window.

Simple until you realize the cost and time of sealing up said border. Then add the amount of violations of civil liberties it would take to find any illegal and deport them.

Right...And they're not listening on purpose because a police state is the end game.

But Arizona failed to recognize is that the goon squad in the District of Criminals that wants to be calling the shots.

Byoking and the rest of his Stalinist pom-pom club are only outraged because Arizona is horning in on what they perceive as their turf.

Where I live there are illegals, but haven't had major issues outside of Chicago. I'm sure there are drug connections, which IMHO is currently the looming problem in SW. It's not the 'illegals' coming for jobs that are the problem, but the drug cartels.

When the economy first started it's downward slide, illegal workers were the main issue for Americans throughout the country, now it's the illegal drug runners and they are beyond dangerous. It reemphasizes the need for border control and I hope all the states join AZ, if the feds refuse to do one of the few things they are supposed to do.

The drug runners and gangs are responsible for the violence, so it's the immigration laws which need to be changed.

I wasn't clear, I was referring to getting that border secured. Should have been done under Bush, but he was pro-illegals. I was trying to address that the outcry then, ignored much at the time, like that against Obamacare recently, was for jobs. Now it seems, that the issue is life and limb. The area I live in was never 'overrun' with illegals, yet people were concerned about jobs, thus were for government involvement 2 years ago. It's quieted, indeed there seems many fewer illegals in this area, I think perhaps it's easier to be 'unemployed' in Mexico than Chicago area. That was my point. The only 'crime' those folks committed was crossing our border for jobs, hell it was and still is an open invitation by patrols.

If the drug cartels can get through, so can the jihadis.

I wasn't clear, I was referring to getting that border secured. Should have been done under Bush, but he was pro-illegals. I was trying to address that the outcry then, ignored much at the time, like that against Obamacare recently, was for jobs. Now it seems, that the issue is life and limb. The area I live in was never 'overrun' with illegals, yet people were concerned about jobs, thus were for government involvement 2 years ago. It's quieted, indeed there seems many fewer illegals in this area, I think perhaps it's easier to be 'unemployed' in Mexico than Chicago area. That was my point. The only 'crime' those folks committed was crossing our border for jobs, hell it was and still is an open invitation by patrols.

Problem being that the violence is over the drugs, not the immigration policy.

When smuggling drugs and gang warfare becomes more profitable than legitimate work, what kind of element do you think you're going to attract to the border?

Problem being that the violence is over the drugs, not the immigration policy.

When smuggling drugs and gang warfare becomes more profitable than legitimate work, what kind of element do you think you're going to attract to the border?

You may have a point, I don't know if we're really speaking of the same people. I guess my tendency is to think that some guy that comes over a thousand miles to work as a busboy to send money home to Mexico is unlikely to be the type to kill a farmer. However, the issue of a porous border remains the same, it's not safe and not legal. It's the Feds job to secure, but for nearly 30 years administrations of both parties have ignored it. Good for AZ and I'm hoping other states will do the same.

This law is no way to solve the problem.
If they want a to make a small dent in it, they should start throwing the people who hire illegals in jail. They won't come if they can't find a job.

To claim this was orchestrated by Obama is beyond dumb
Nobody has said that, you numbskull.

This is what you said.

You claim they are doing this on purpose to turn us into a police state

"Right...And they're not listening on purpose because a police state is the end game.

Byoking and the rest of his Stalinist pom-pom club are only outraged because Arizona is horning in on what they perceive as their turf."

Under the constitution who is it that is supposed to protect our borders?

If they want a to make a small dent in it, they should start throwing the people who hire illegals in jail. They won't come if they can't find a job.

That would address the issue of most illegals I'm familiar with, not the violent though. It's the border, pure and simple.

azcentral.com blogs - Laurie Roberts' Columns & Blog - LaurieRoberts - Arizona immigration law: Are you listening, Mr. President?

Mr. President, are you listening? Secretary Napolitano, remember us?

If you or your predecessors had done something to close the nation's back door, we wouldn't be in this fix, where U.S. citizens are left to wonder whether they'll be asked for their papers simply because of the color of their skin. Where our ranchers live in a war zone and our largest city is the kidnapping capital of the planet.

Where everybody is now dug in to whichever foxhole they've chosen in this fight – alien invader or noble immigrant -- with little room for middle ground or rational discussion.

A few hours before Brewer signed the bill, President Obama stood in his Rose Garden and lashed out at SB 1070, saying it threatens “to undermine basic notions of fairness that we cherish as Americans, as well as the trust between police and our communities that is so crucial to keeping us safe.”

He's right. But this bill is now state law because the trust between our communities and our federal government was long ago broken.

It is because of Washington's steadfast refusal to do its job that we find ourselves where we are today – when half of Arizona Democrats, 69 percent of independents and a whopping 84 percent of Republicans support SB 1070, according to the latest Rasmussen Poll of likely voters.

Dismiss this, if you like, as the work of the “radical fringe”, as Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund did on Friday. But 70 percent of likely voters supported this law.

The way things are going, we very well could have Sen. J.D. Hayworth, Gov. Joe Arpaio and Attorney General Andy Thomas running this place by the end of the year.

Can you hear us now, Mrs. Pelosi? And you, Harry Reid?

I'm assuming that you can because by the end of the week, immigration reform rocketed up Washington's to-do list, above climate-change legislation – and this during Earth Day week.

“Surely we can all agree that when 11 million people in our country are living here illegally, outside the system, that's unacceptable,” Obama said Friday. “The American people demand and deserve a solution. And they deserve common-sense, comprehensive immigration reform grounded in the principles of responsibility and accountability.”

They do. But first, they deserve to know that Uzi toting drug runners and human smugglers are no longer running through our desert.

Brewer's been asking for National Guard troops to be sent to the border for 13 months, as then-Gov. Janet Napolitano did before her.

IMO there are serious constitutional and civil rights issues with the law. But the passage of the law is having one positive effect: It's making national (DC) politicians acknowledge the elephant in the room.

The one part of the law that they got dead on was the imposition of stiff penalties to companies or individuals who employ illegal aliens.

Unfortunately Obama attempted to patronize the hispanic voters by painting the Gov. of Arizona as a racist....somebody that is being unfair. Instead of upholding the law he's trying to us Marxism to attack the rule of law in this country.

Last edited:
To claim this was orchestrated by Obama is beyond dumb
Nobody has said that, you numbskull.

This is what you said.

You claim they are doing this on purpose to turn us into a police state

"Right...And they're not listening on purpose because a police state is the end game.

Byoking and the rest of his Stalinist pom-pom club are only outraged because Arizona is horning in on what they perceive as their turf."

Under the constitution who is it that is supposed to protect our borders?
Right...Which would be true no matter which party controlled everything.

The partisan blinders are yours, dingbat.

You may have a point, I don't know if we're really speaking of the same people. I guess my tendency is to think that some guy that comes over a thousand miles to work as a busboy to send money home to Mexico is unlikely to be the type to kill a farmer. However, the issue of a porous border remains the same, it's not safe and not legal. It's the Feds job to secure, but for nearly 30 years administrations of both parties have ignored it. Good for AZ and I'm hoping other states will do the same.
Problem being that we can't sort out the would-be busboy from the drug hooligan. In fact, the would-be busboy is now the scapegoat and, as often as not, the target of the hoodlums or even coerced into being a drug mule as the price of passage.

have you been reading??? numbskull,, what part of drug runners don't want jobs do you not get?????

here's an idea. withhold any and all compensation from congress til they fix the borders or tell them to sit down and stfu and let Arizona take care of the problem..

No, it shouldn't. Maybe back in the 60's and 70's before the problem got this far out of hand. But not now. It would involve too big of a blow to our economy and would break up thousands of families.
It wouldn't if the family went along with the illegal who went back and followed the law.

That's a value judgment that they make.

True, but it's still too big of a blow, and too large of an expense in manpower and dollars, to deport 'em all.

DC ignored the problem for waaaay too long, and actually pandered to the problem, in order for that to be a viable solution. The numbers are, by many orders of magnitude, too large for it to be realistic.

No, it shouldn't. Maybe back in the 60's and 70's before the problem got this far out of hand. But not now. It would involve too big of a blow to our economy and would break up thousands of families.
It wouldn't if the family went along with the illegal who went back and followed the law.

True, but it's still too big of a blow, and too large of an expense in manpower and dollars, to deport 'em all.

DC ignored the problem for waaaay too long, and actually pandered to the problem, in order for that to be a viable solution. The numbers are, by many orders of magnitude, too large for it to be realistic.
Yet, none of the amnesty will curtail the violence, which is being perpetrated by the drug gangs.

And if you think it's bad in Arizona, it's next to Armageddon in El Paso/Juarez, where the kidnapping and murder rates, respectively, are off the charts.

Yet, none of the amnesty will curtail the violence, which is being perpetrated by the drug gangs.

And if you think it's bad in Arizona, it's next to Armageddon in El Paso/Juarez, where the kidnapping and murder rates, respectively, are off the charts.

If they are running drugs or committing violent acts, then they are breaking other laws other than immigration. Apples and Oranges. Deport those, fine. But to hunt down all illegals and deport them is too much for our economy to handle. Not saying that I agree with their actions, but I'm just trying to keep it realistic. Tracking down 20+ million people, yanking their productivity (however small each individually contributes) from our economy, and then transporting the equivalent population of one of the states is just by far too large of an expense, and quite frankly our country can't handle it.

Like I said, not condoning their actions, and we need to seal the border first, but IMO it's simply not realistic to expect that a form of amnesty (even a temporary one) will not be a part of any reform package.

azcentral.com blogs - Laurie Roberts' Columns & Blog - LaurieRoberts - Arizona immigration law: Are you listening, Mr. President?

Mr. President, are you listening? Secretary Napolitano, remember us?

If you or your predecessors had done something to close the nation's back door, we wouldn't be in this fix, where U.S. citizens are left to wonder whether they'll be asked for their papers simply because of the color of their skin. Where our ranchers live in a war zone and our largest city is the kidnapping capital of the planet.

Where everybody is now dug in to whichever foxhole they've chosen in this fight – alien invader or noble immigrant -- with little room for middle ground or rational discussion.

A few hours before Brewer signed the bill, President Obama stood in his Rose Garden and lashed out at SB 1070, saying it threatens “to undermine basic notions of fairness that we cherish as Americans, as well as the trust between police and our communities that is so crucial to keeping us safe.”

He's right. But this bill is now state law because the trust between our communities and our federal government was long ago broken.

It is because of Washington's steadfast refusal to do its job that we find ourselves where we are today – when half of Arizona Democrats, 69 percent of independents and a whopping 84 percent of Republicans support SB 1070, according to the latest Rasmussen Poll of likely voters.

Dismiss this, if you like, as the work of the “radical fringe”, as Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund did on Friday. But 70 percent of likely voters supported this law.

The way things are going, we very well could have Sen. J.D. Hayworth, Gov. Joe Arpaio and Attorney General Andy Thomas running this place by the end of the year.

Can you hear us now, Mrs. Pelosi? And you, Harry Reid?

I'm assuming that you can because by the end of the week, immigration reform rocketed up Washington's to-do list, above climate-change legislation – and this during Earth Day week.

“Surely we can all agree that when 11 million people in our country are living here illegally, outside the system, that's unacceptable,” Obama said Friday. “The American people demand and deserve a solution. And they deserve common-sense, comprehensive immigration reform grounded in the principles of responsibility and accountability.”

They do. But first, they deserve to know that Uzi toting drug runners and human smugglers are no longer running through our desert.

Brewer's been asking for National Guard troops to be sent to the border for 13 months, as then-Gov. Janet Napolitano did before her.

IMO there are serious constitutional and civil rights issues with the law. But the passage of the law is having one positive effect: It's making national (DC) politicians acknowledge the elephant in the room.

The one part of the law that they got dead on was the imposition of stiff penalties to companies or individuals who employ illegal aliens.
So a state decides to punish its citizens because the federal government hasn't done anything? :cuckoo:

This is more a drug issue than anything else. And the federal government did do something...they broke up the cartels in Columbia and pushed the drug trade from the shores of Florida to the border states in the west.

This will just push it elsewhere...or get legals to take over the drug trade.

:lol:

The problem is the war on drugs.

Forum List

Back