Are you American?

I'm often asked if I'm American but, upon telling people I'm English, their harsh voice becomes friendly and happy.

Why do you think that is?

I don't know.

Perhaps because those people don't know the long, sorry and, let's face it, criminal history of the British Empire?

It's awesome being an American.

Top of the food chain.

Except:
to a few Vietnamese peasants
A load of Afghan tribesmen
A bunch of uneducated blokes in Somali
The Chinese who kicked your arses in Korea

As for 1812, does anyone really believe you didn't get totally hammered?
Come on - you may have won the odd battle but most ended in a sound defeat and Americans being forced to pledge allegiance to King George.
New York was destroyed and your president's home was burnt out.
I think we can pretty much call that an arse fucking of the first order.
You're top of the food chain when you're fighting people who can't fight back but the moment someone stands up to you, you run away like snotty nosed school bullies.

However, think positive, I don't believe America has ever surrendered in any war; just run away from a few.

Top of the food chain.

Except:

Come on - you may have won the odd battle but most ended in a sound defeat and Americans being forced to pledge allegiance to King George.
You're top of the food chain when you're fighting people who can't fight back but the moment someone stands up to you, you run away like snotty nosed school bullies.

However, think positive, I don't believe America has ever surrendered in any war; just run away from a few.

Still trying to look impressive?

WWI
WWII

When we take war seriously, we kick ass

Top of the food chain.

Except:

Yeah...one of Americas biggest faults is letting politicians run wars.
If we let the military do it's thing? Well you know what would happen.
Take your jealous whiny ass some where else.

I'm often asked if I'm American but, upon telling people I'm English, their harsh voice becomes friendly and happy.

Why do you think that is?

Funny I had the total opposite experience traveling abroad. Esp when you I told them I was from Chicago!

Top of the food chain.

Except:

WWI
WWII

When a kid arrives late for school, we often send him home.
Still, you turned up earlier to the second one than you managed in the first.
As for "serious"; you're saying you didn't take any of the wars you started but lost, seriously.
Wow.

As for 1812, does anyone really believe you didn't get totally hammered?.

Anyone who really knows anything about the war.

Perhaps I misunderstood.
The goals of the war were to invade and occupy Florida (a native Indian country) which you did because you had guns whilst they had nothing more dangerous than sharpened fruit, and to remove Britain from Canada.
The latter resulted in mass American surrenders (many without a shot being fired because your generals were cowards), the destruction of New York, the burning of the white house but zero gained.
Please tell me how that constitutes a victory for America.

Except:

WWI
WWII

When a kid arrives late for school, we often send him home.
Still, you turned up earlier to the second one than you managed in the first.
As for "serious"; you're saying you didn't take any of the wars you started but lost, seriously.
Wow.

Serious wars require serious sacrifice. Politicians make terrible Generals.

Ask the Germans.

The thread was prompted by this.

BBC News - US in worldwide travel alert after 'al-Qaeda threat'

It's absolutely true.
Many times, I'm asked if I'm American but once they find out I'm not, their whole attitude changes for the better.
In my opinion, U.S. foreign policy is endangering Americans all over the world and putting others in danger because they may be mistaken for Americans.
IMHO, a lot of travel alerts are just a cover your ass maneuver. If the people in Homeland Security and other intelligence agencies are wrong when they issue the alerts and shutdown embassies and there is no attack, they're praised for preventing a terrorist attack. However, if there is any hint of an attack, they keep quit, and there is such attack then then they are in deep shit.

Last edited:
As for 1812, does anyone really believe you didn't get totally hammered?.

Anyone who really knows anything about the war.

Perhaps I misunderstood.
The goals of the war were to invade and occupy Florida (a native Indian country) which you did because you had guns whilst they had nothing more dangerous than sharpened fruit, and to remove Britain from Canada..

You do misunderstand. Those were NOT the goals of the war, nor its cause. The goals of the war were to stop Britain from interfering in US trade, seizing US merchant vessels, and abducting US citizens and impressing them into the British Navy. Those goals were accomplished. The war ended with relations between the US and the UK basically as they had been before the war. The UK paid a heavy price at a time it could ill afford it (and were sent home with one last serious ass-kicking at the Battle of New Orleans. The US ended up with a White House to rebuild, but a greatly advanced and confident armed forces, particularly regarding the Navy (Old Ironsides ring a bell?) and in general a sense of national identity we really hadn't had before. So, arguably the strongest military in the world engaged a country that basically had no military to speak of, and came away with a draw at best.

Forum List

Back