Are we overly dependent on the justice system?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
And if so, what problems is it making for us?

In times past, problems were handled without involving law enforcement and the courts. You parleed and discussed the issue, maybe had 3rd party mediation from neighbors or disinterested parties, and settled things among yourselves. In the case of more serious grievances things would likewise be handled 'extrajudicially.'

Have we in the US gotten to be overly reliant upon calling police and expecting them to handle things? And is this shaping the problems we have because of it? If no one's gonna intervene during the commision of a crime waiting however long for police to show up there's not alot of disincentive to not commit crimes if you're that sort of person. No one's gonna stop you, they'll just call police, but by the time they arrive you're long gone. Someone screws you in a business interaction you take them to court. Burden of proof being high though if you can't prove your having beenw ronged it's just time off work, a lot of extra costs for you, and the offender gets away with it anyway.

Weren't we better off in the past handling most of our mundane problems ourselves?

When the criminal can sue the victim and win, things have gone too far.

When the criminal can sue the victim and win, things have gone too far.

Or goes unpunished altogether. Discussing the 2% prison time for rapists I recalled "Bastard out of Carolina" when everyone wailed on the stepfather rapist. That's justice. And in my opinion, superior to any call to the cops or prosecution of an offender.

Depends on the crime, innit?

Are you rethinking your stance on housing the mentally ill in prisons?

The Justice system is supposed to work for the victims, and those done wrong. The Justice system is supposed to correct wrongs , punish criminals, and correct the wrongful acts. The Justice system is there to make those who have done wrong to others.....compensate the victims.

Sometimes it occurs in bad faith - but one is to have confidence in the Justice system. Myself having read court cases and media releases of bad events ...... Where the victims were further oppressed ; or done more wrong in a court of law.

The Justice system ...... as I have said before - is there for the victims and those done terrible by others.

The Justice system ...... Is where Justice us supposed to occur.

Shadow 355

Town Hall: Halloween Baggage

"In a certain suburban neighborhood in America, a rather eerie-looking house occupied by an eccentric man named Jacoby was the bane of all trick-or-treating kids every Halloween. Every Halloween, Jacoby would decorate his porch with jack-o'-lanterns with odd green lights inside them (apparently, he wanted to make a statement about the color green, ever-present in nature things like trees and grass and vegetation, and its relationship to Earth and Halloween). Were it not for Jacoby's odd nature, kids would not think that the green pumpkins were an omen signaling the wisdom to avoid his house as a trick-or-treat stop.

This went on for some years, as Jacoby grew older into his 50s. One Halloween Eve, three high school boys, the affirmed town bullies, decided to ring Jacoby's doorbell and break in his house once he opened the door (the man had no guard dog or apparent alarm system). These three boys were never heard from again."

We admire the police for handling those pesky situations involving the oddballs of society. We believe the police efficiently serve the Justice System.

What then is the pedestrian allure of Halloween, the traffic-thrill annual autumn festival of ghoulish masquerade?

:afro:

Halloween III: Season of the Witch (Film)

fright-rags-halloween-poster[1].jpg

The Justice system is supposed to work for the victims, and those done wrong. The Justice system is supposed to correct wrongs , punish criminals, and correct the wrongful acts. The Justice system is there to make those who have done wrong to others.....compensate the victims.

Sometimes it occurs in bad faith - but one is to have confidence in the Justice system. Myself having read court cases and media releases of bad events ...... Where the victims were further oppressed ; or done more wrong in a court of law.

The Justice system ...... as I have said before - is there for the victims and those done terrible by others.

The Justice system ...... Is where Justice us supposed to occur.

Shadow 355

Yep, The state takes on the role of the victim. So, this whole little movement of lets feel really bad for the individual that has done harm is about as backwards as it goes.

Forum List

Back