Are new cars just too much for us old jerks?

The more crap they put into these vehicles the more expensive they become and in reality the more failure points they create.
Half of safety recalls are now software glitches and fire hazards from electronic controls.
But then idiots would trust self driving technology...no friggin thanks...
You can't even buy a simple vehicle anymore.

I had a friend whose Uncle worked at a Ford assembly plant.

He told us vehicles are heinously overpriced, as ANY non-commercial vehicle built by ANY automaker costs around $5,000 OR LESS to produce.

What the automakers charge are nothing but the fees, taxes, and other charges THE COMPANY is charged by the government for being allowed to produce vehicles. That, and they quadruple the price or more!!! Customers should not be paying the companys charges for what THEY want to produce, thats ALL ON THEM! But customers get shafted hard and rough on vehicles.

Oddly enough, the electronic magic is a major factor in car purchases for people under 45 years old. They are as interested in those features as my generation was in HP and torque.

I understand that Kia and Hyundai are good for that extended warranty, so there's that.

So I just bought a brand spanking new hybrid SUV for my wife. South Korean company. Great gas mileage. Still costs close to $40k (too expensive) because my better half 'just had to have' a certain trim level package. Whatever,.It's what she wanted, and she got it. So far, very, very nice fit and finish. Interior materials (leather seats, shiny plastic) are way higher quality then I ever expected. The entire dash is digital, and the entertainment system easily connects to my mobile device and even charges it. Rocking the fucking future, right? Meh. I have that tech in my '97 Jeep. It's seems the aftermarket tech has taken over new vehicles now. :dunno:

My family has several vehicles. I bought a new truck last year. Average age of the rest (non new) of our vehicles? 19.5 yrs. old. I've personally wrenched on all of them.

So, this new hybrid SUV is supposed to be 'the future' to a genuine knuckledagger like me. So far, it pretty much seems to be a mobile phone on 4 wheels. When the dealer's 'instruction' was to immediately pair my mobile device to it to get 'the full experience' of this vehicle, I realized how out of touch with a new hybrid (and apparently, new cars in general now) I truly was. My wife asked me to drive it. The car has a push button start. I pushed the button, nothing happens. I push it again. And again. And again like a mental patient. What a fucking piece of shit, right?

Wrong. The car is a hybrid. It pretty much starts out in electric mode, and I'm a complete dope. I just needed to move the shiny 'transmission' selector knob to 'D', and It was ready to go the whole time! Cool. :113: Yes, I'm quite stupid at times.

The presentation of the tech when sitting in the car is impressive, but can be a bit of a sensory overload. There are oodles of unnecessary shit (to me, but remember, I'm a complete dope ^^) in this automobile. There are so many computer controlled options, and little to no manual options. Did I need a daily affirmation from my car that I made the right choice in buying this car? Fuck no. Would I like lane assistance, computer controlled cruise control (including braking) , and passenger alert assist? Fuck no. Would I like to call 911, or speak to a live representative? How about neither. Let me further illustrate, this car has passenger alert assist. Am I driving an 18-wheeler? No. But this car seems to think it's smarter than it's driver.

And it probably is, who knows. Stay tuned. I'll update the experience with it when I can. I like simple. Wife likes other.
Cars get you from point A to point B and that is pretty much all they do. The GREAT ones do it reliably year after year. I've never understood the need for a new vehicle and a bunch of car payments along with dealing slimey car salesmen if you have a car that doesn't break down.

Oddly enough, the electronic magic is a major factor in car purchases for people under 45 years old. They are as interested in those features as my generation was in HP and torque.

I understand that Kia and Hyundai are good for that extended warranty, so there's that.
Kia actually fixes their issues-------their warranties are solid unlike say Ford.

So I just bought a brand spanking new hybrid SUV for my wife. South Korean company. Great gas mileage. Still costs close to $40k (too expensive) because my better half 'just had to have' a certain trim level package. Whatever,.It's what she wanted, and she got it. So far, very, very nice fit and finish. Interior materials (leather seats, shiny plastic) are way higher quality then I ever expected. The entire dash is digital, and the entertainment system easily connects to my mobile device and even charges it. Rocking the fucking future, right? Meh. I have that tech in my '97 Jeep. It's seems the aftermarket tech has taken over new vehicles now. :dunno:

My family has several vehicles. I bought a new truck last year. Average age of the rest (non new) of our vehicles? 19.5 yrs. old. I've personally wrenched on all of them.

So, this new hybrid SUV is supposed to be 'the future' to a genuine knuckledagger like me. So far, it pretty much seems to be a mobile phone on 4 wheels. When the dealer's 'instruction' was to immediately pair my mobile device to it to get 'the full experience' of this vehicle, I realized how out of touch with a new hybrid (and apparently, new cars in general now) I truly was. My wife asked me to drive it. The car has a push button start. I pushed the button, nothing happens. I push it again. And again. And again like a mental patient. What a fucking piece of shit, right?

Wrong. The car is a hybrid. It pretty much starts out in electric mode, and I'm a complete dope. I just needed to move the shiny 'transmission' selector knob to 'D', and It was ready to go the whole time! Cool. :113: Yes, I'm quite stupid at times.

The presentation of the tech when sitting in the car is impressive, but can be a bit of a sensory overload. There are oodles of unnecessary shit (to me, but remember, I'm a complete dope ^^) in this automobile. There are so many computer controlled options, and little to no manual options. Did I need a daily affirmation from my car that I made the right choice in buying this car? Fuck no. Would I like lane assistance, computer controlled cruise control (including braking) , and passenger alert assist? Fuck no. Would I like to call 911, or speak to a live representative? How about neither. Let me further illustrate, this car has passenger alert assist. Am I driving an 18-wheeler? No. But this car seems to think it's smarter than it's driver.

And it probably is, who knows. Stay tuned. I'll update the experience with it when I can. I like simple. Wife likes other.
On the second window motor I had to replace, I was done with "technology".

I told my wife my new automotive mantra...if it doesn't have pivoting wing windows... I'm not buying it.

Now we have two trucks with manual windows and locks, carburetion, points and condenser, and adjustable valves.

P.S. - my folks Cadillac has a bad actuator that causes one side of the personal climate control to blow hot air even when the ac is on max cold in Florida. Deep...deep inside the dash.

Have no idea what the shop would charge to fix it...$600 according to the Internet...

They are patiently waiting for me to come down and fix it.

On the second window motor I had to replace, I was done with "technology".

I told my wife my new automotive mantra...if it doesn't have pivoting wing windows... I'm not buying it.

Now we have two trucks with manual windows and locks, carburetion, points and condenser, and adjustable valves.
I've still got a couple of those too. An old Ford pickup and Jeep.

P.S. - my folks Cadillac has a bad actuator that causes one side of the personal climate control to blow hot air even when the ac is on max cold in Florida. Deep...deep inside the dash.

Have no idea what the shop would charge to fix it...$600 according to the Internet...

They are patiently waiting for me to come down and fix it.
My Grand Cherokee has the same issue again.
It was a stupid twenty dollar plastic gear that is attached to the actuator. In winter it will blow cold air instead. I fixed the passenger side two years ago, then had to do drivers side after ripping half the lower dash out. Now it failed again. The damn blend door gets stuck then breaks the crappy gear.
The stupid thing does self tests and the system won't run properly if the actuator over spins. Had to glue a stop on the gear to fool the computer.
Now I have to do it all again.

:102:

My Grand Cherokee has the same issue again.
It was a stupid twenty dollar plastic gear that is attached to the actuator. In winter it will blow cold air instead. I fixed the passenger side two years ago, then had to do drivers side after ripping half the lower dash out. Now it failed again. The damn blend door gets stuck then breaks the crappy gear.
The stupid thing does self tests and the system won't run properly if the actuator over spins. Had to glue a stop on the gear to fool the computer.
Now I have to do it all again.

:102:
<SMH> Ain't technology grand...

<SMH> Ain't technology grand...
I can't imagine what it would cost at the dealership to replace that stupid gear.
Just replaced the front struts, wheel bearing hubs, rotors and brakes and a bad front CV axle myself a few weeks ago.
That was relatively easy compared to crawling under the dash and not being able to see crap.

I can't imagine what it would cost at the dealership to replace that stupid gear.
Just replaced the front struts, wheel bearing hubs, rotors and brakes and a bad front CV axle myself a few weeks ago.
That was relatively easy compared to crawling under the dash and not being able to see crap.
I get parts for my XJ from a salvage yard. You might want to check into that if you have that option nearby.

Here's the bigger problem with modern cars: computerized obsolescence.

Look at how computers are end-of-lifed due to the operating system no longer being supported - and most people's inability to do self-repairs. The same thing is going to happen to computers-with-wheels. Instead of a car lasting 20+ years in the old mechanical world, new cars will be obsolete in under ten. The batteries are an ecological disaster as well.

When mr. boe and I finally leave CA, we are going to buy a 50 year old Travelall and go off the grid.

That's what I'm not looking forward to.

I hate that kinda crap.

But...ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Struts are always a blast. Nothing like using a set of spring compressors to get the old heart pumpin'.

First time I replaced a half-shaft I forgot to pack 'em with grease...making my second time much easier, as I had just done it a couple weeks earlier and none of the bolts were rusty...

Here's the bigger problem with modern cars: computerized obsolescence.

Look at how computers are end-of-lifed due to the operating system no longer being supported - and most people's inability to do self-repairs. The same thing is going to happen to computers-with-wheels. Instead of a car lasting 20+ years in the old mechanical world, new cars will be obsolete in under ten. The batteries are an ecological disaster as well.

When mr. boe and I finally leave CA, we are going to buy a 50 year old Travelall and go off the grid.
But on the other side of that is a different type of obsolescence...

I had a wonder 1967 Jeep Gladiator that I just could not find parts for anymore. Ended up selling it to a guy...not to drive or restore...but to strip for parts that HE couldn't find.

Electronics have a shelf life. Meaning capacitors and diodes and transistors go bad with time. Older ones are less susceptible because of the thickness but now that an amplifier is the size of half a grain of rice...they will destroy themselves with time.

There's a huge reason why cars need an auto drive feature and lane drift and braking feature....these mobile entertainment systems are distracting. Purposefully made to be distracting...when what you need to do is pay attention to traffic.

My 2006 Chevy silverado work series 4 door truck is more than enough in distractions now.
I can't imagine what all a luxury car will have with a television built into the dashboard to distract your driving.

With the amount of electronic recalls and software glitches by all manufacturers, I sure as hell will never take my hand off the wheel as they advertise the Ford F150 doing while towing a large camper.
No way, never...I will drive myself, thank you. :eusa_hand:
1613500163215.jpg

I can't even have a damn television that lasts more than 5 years.

But on the other side of that is a different type of obsolescence...

I had a wonder 1967 Jeep Gladiator that I just could not find parts for anymore. Ended up selling it to a guy...not to drive or restore...but to strip for parts that HE couldn't find.

Yep - that is a sad phenom.

Great thread man. I love this part about "mobile phone on wheels". Just wait until you're on a nice quiet country backroad and all the warning sirens go off on your collision alert because the shadows of the power wires make it think you're approaching an object at 45 mph, Your life will flash before your eyes and you'll drop that bag of french fries.

Or you try to patch a GPS routing app thru the entertainment system like the dealer told to do and find out you've GOOGLED to death because they have a lock on "add-on" travel apps. I just quit on that and bought a Garmin. Nice quiet UN-googled life now.

OR you're washing your "keyless entry" vehicle with the keys in your pocket and everytime the hose hits the front handles the locks go up and down !!!! Put the keys in the garage and you're good. Just happy the windows didnt roll down on their own while I was hosing it. LOL..

It's actually ALL GREAT. Just annoying the car with an IQ of about 27 is nagging you and bossing you around.
UPDATE: When you're right, you're right. So, I haven't had enough time with it to fine tune my 'experience' with the spaceship automobile (READ: I refuse to create a 'profile' to drive a fucking car. C'mon man), but so far so good.

1. It hauls so much more ass than I expected for a grocery getter. From a standstill, you can stomp the pedal and it usually rockets off still in EV mode. Regular engine kicks in at a certain rev, and you're at 60 in a little over 8 seconds. Impressive.
2. 42.1 MPG average thus far! Even more impressive.
3. When you're right, you're right. Nice, quiet country roads are my backyard. I believe this vehicle currently fixes your power line challenge with a forward facing radar. BUT, when lane control assist almost put me into a concrete barrier because it wanted to fight me in a construction zone, I elected to turn that shit OFF.
4. It looks exactly like a catfish. I mean exactly. Or, maybe an electric shaver. Yeah, it looks exactly like an electric shaver. I just need to remember in the sea of parking lots filled with electric shavers, mine's red.
5. Super comfortable. Pretty happy with it. :113: :113:

UPDATE: When you're right, you're right. So, I haven't had enough time with it to fine tune my 'experience' with the spaceship automobile (READ: I refuse to create a 'profile' to drive a fucking car. C'mon man), but so far so good.

1. It hauls so much more ass than I expected for a grocery getter. From a standstill, you can stomp the pedal and it usually rockets off still in EV mode. Regular engine kicks in at a certain rev, and you're at 60 in a little over 8 seconds. Impressive.
2. 42.1 MPG average thus far! Even more impressive.
3. When you're right, you're right. Nice, quiet country roads are my backyard. I believe this vehicle currently fixes your power line challenge with a forward facing radar. BUT, when lane control assist almost put me into a concrete barrier because it wanted to fight me in a construction zone, I elected to turn that shit OFF.
4. It looks exactly like a catfish. I mean exactly. Or, maybe an electric shaver. Yeah, it looks exactly like an electric shaver. I just need to remember in the sea of parking lots filled with electric shavers, mine's red.
5. Super comfortable. Pretty happy with it. :113: :113:

There's something psychological goin on here with hybrid styling. Have you noticed the BIG ASS GRILLS on these things? Maybe why it looks like a catfish. LOL. And what's the purpose of that when you dont have MUCH under the hood and not a lot to cool?

Aint no way I'm creating a profile or linking more than a phone to the console. I pity people who sync all their devices or buy apps that run in the cloud. Because everytime you DO that -- you're giving another company access to ALL of your stuff. And they WILL abuse it and you...

Bad enough the companies are putting Siri, Alexa, etc in your vehicle.

Forum List

Back