Are My Personal Ethics Contradictory?

According to the bible god is the one who gave us free will, so in a way its true...

And this is how that free will is used.

1551638_10151950682021275_840270262_n.jpg

If there was a god, she would be SO ashamed and disappointed in the greedy money grubbing of most religions.
funny how very little of the "donation"cash goes to the needy..

Man does not live by bread alone. And God expects His children to prosper, as any good Father would.
Nevertheless, I bet the one that built that church has fed more starving people than you have. What did you feed the hungry for supper tonight? Obamacare?

Today, I was told that I cannot - absolutely impossible for me to - believe the way I do. Either I was for religion and freedom, or I was not.

To explain as an example: I am for complete religious freedom, yet I'm also okay with gay people getting married. I am definitely okay with someone owning fourteen thousand guns if they so wished, but I do want there to be a system in place to make sure a paranoid schizophrenic doesn't get one. I hate federal government but I like state government.

Stuff like that, but I want to focus on that first sentence.

It is apparently literally impossible for me to believe in both religious and (let's call it) personal freedom. Likewise because I can do both, I am (exact words here) an "affront against God" for believing as much.

Why? Why is it wrong to want what I feel is best for everyone? Why do I have to "choose a side"? Can things like gay marriage and religion truly not coexist? Am I grasping at straws wanting both?

You can believe in religious freedom and gay marriage.

Believing in religious freedom does not mean you yourself are religious.

If your Priest is the one who said you can't believe in religious freedom and gay marriage then in that context they may have been addressing a belief in a religious doctrine that opposes gay marriage for religious reasons and therefore, cannot see how you would support gay marriage and religion's freedom to oppose it.

:dunno:

Today, I was told that I cannot - absolutely impossible for me to - believe the way I do. Either I was for religion and freedom, or I was not.

To explain as an example: I am for complete religious freedom, yet I'm also okay with gay people getting married. I am definitely okay with someone owning fourteen thousand guns if they so wished, but I do want there to be a system in place to make sure a paranoid schizophrenic doesn't get one. I hate federal government but I like state government.

It is apparently literally impossible for me to believe in both religious and (let's call it) personal freedom. Likewise because I can do both, I am (exact words here) an "affront against God" for believing as much.

Why? Why is it wrong to want what I feel is best for everyone? Why do I have to "choose a side"? Can things like gay marriage and religion truly not coexist? Am I grasping at straws wanting both?

OK, we get it: You are in favor of "gay marriage."

Neither "God" nor the Bible prevents us from doing anything. They are merely teaching and suggesting.

If you are not "free" then there is no virtue or sin. Mother Teresa deserves no praise for giving her life to serve the poor and diseased of India, unless she had a choice to do otherwise (which she did).

As I have written in this space before, people with homosexual tendencies are FREE to either succumb to them or to remain celibate, or live a "normal" life. The choice(s) they make, however, have moral implications and, if you believe the Bible, affect their prospects in the afterlife - if there is one.

Gay marriage? Knock yourself out. But recognize that (for men) entering into this institution is a public rejection of Judeo-Christian and Islamic teachings, and tells the world that you INTEND to engage in behavior that Christians, Jews, Muslims, etc., consider seriously sinful. And don't expect such people to condone that decision or pretend that it is morally neutral, when they emphatically believe otherwise.

Christians love homosexuals, but hate sin. Just as I loved my uncle who was a chronic drunk. I didn't love him any less, but I never condoned his behavior.

It is more a matter of your personal opinion being in conflict with God's Word - not your own values. We can readily agree that you are not more compassionate than God and His Word - you are not wiser than God and His Word and the same statement can be applied to everyone here. No one is wiser or more compassionate than God.

Your conflict isn't a conflict at all. There is the Word of God and that is what the believer adheres to. There is no room for opinion when it comes to Gods Word. You are not asked to give your own opinion. Just answer with His Word and do not speak for Him because that is where you are falling into confusion here. Read Romans 1 a few times and realize this is New Testament teaching ( not old ) and the warnings continue from 1 Corinthians all the way through Revelation. Then get a heart for these people and pray for those you know represent Romans 1 living. It is Gods job to reveal the truth to them but if you are asked what Gods Word has to say about it don't give your opinion. Just give them the Word. Otherwise you are denying Christ.

note* God hates the sin but loves the sinner. God is not looking for ways to cast people into hell but rather ways to reach & save those that are lost. Your opinion cannot save them but His Word can.

This is where that scripture - Let the Word of God be true and every man be found a liar. ( who disagrees with Gods Word ) falls into place.
- Jeri

Last edited:
Neither "God" nor the Bible prevents us from doing anything. They are merely teaching and suggesting.

If you are not "free" then there is no virtue or sin. Mother Teresa deserves no praise for giving her life to serve the poor and diseased of India, unless she had a choice to do otherwise (which she did).

As I have written in this space before, people with homosexual tendencies are FREE to either succumb to them or to remain celibate, or live a "normal" life. The choice(s) they make, however, have moral implications and, if you believe the Bible, affect their prospects in the afterlife - if there is one.

Gay marriage? Knock yourself out. But recognize that (for men) entering into this institution is a public rejection of Judeo-Christian and Islamic teachings, and tells the world that you INTEND to engage in behavior that Christians, Jews, Muslims, etc., consider seriously sinful. And don't expect such people to condone that decision or pretend that it is morally neutral, when they emphatically believe otherwise.

Christians love homosexuals, but hate sin. Just as I loved my uncle who was a chronic drunk. I didn't love him any less, but I never condoned his behavior.

Sin is sin. Although sexual sin is against ones own body and according to scripture is set apart in that regard - still that is speaking of fornication - sex outside of marriage is forbidden the same as homosexuality is forbidden in scripture - yet rarely do people think about that.

Did you ever consider that religion and freedom aren't necessarily contradictory, but your religion and freedom are.

The minute a religion claims to be the inerrant religion based on divine revelation, it must impose that religion on others or eventually die out. Therefore its survival takes precedence over Truth, when its dogma clashes with the Truth, which inevitably happens for all such religions .

I disagree, PT. The moment a religion imposes itself on others or risk dying out - it becomes a cult and should be dismissed as one. Following God is every man or womans free will choice and no religion has the right to impose itself by force / laws - it is not scriptural.

I'm asking you "what percentage of the bible is fact?"
I'm not Interested in destroying the bible just scraping away the nonsense..put another way to put in context ...

I have no idea what percentage of the Bible is accurate, however, that percentage go's up every year.
if you have no idea about the first then the second is erroneous speculation.. got to give you style points...

Well, what percentage of the Bible is accurate?

I disagree, PT. The moment a religion imposes itself on others or risk dying out - it becomes a cult and should be dismissed as one. Following God is every man or womans free will choice and no religion has the right to impose itself by force / laws - it is not scriptural.

Very well. But that doesn't change the second half of what I said, "Therefore its survival takes precedence over Truth, when its dogma clashes with the Truth, which inevitably happens for all such religions ." That's undeniable for every revealed religion that's ever come to be. None have any authority but their own, for their claim that God tells them what to say.

According to the bible god is the one who gave us free will, so in a way its true...

God gave us free will so your ethics are your own. It is when you try to impose them on others that there's a problem.

God gave Israel the land and the Israelites drove the other nations out of the land in Biblical times. God also warned Ninevah that He would judge them and didn't for 400 years. God measures time morally.

When the earth was corrupt, He brought a flood. He won't use a flood next time.

Man is just slowing down what God is going to do.

Very well. But that doesn't change the second half of what I said, "Therefore its survival takes precedence over Truth, when its dogma clashes with the Truth, which inevitably happens for all such religions ." That's undeniable for every revealed religion that's ever come to be. None have any authority but their own, for their claim that God tells them what to say.

There is no such thing as the doctrine of infallibility. Still this has nothing to do with the truth, P.T.. Truth is sovereign. It changes not. The Word of God is the truth and by reading it for ourselves we too shall know the Truth - and that is what sets us free from the deception of man / organized religion / false teachers, etc.

There is no such thing as the doctrine of infallibility.

So the Bible can be wrong. How many Christians and observant Jews would agree with that.

Still this has nothing to do with the truth, P.T..

What has nothing to do with the Truth? The Bible? Is it the divine Truth or just the fallible words of men?

Truth is sovereign. It changes not.

Objective, scientific Truth, yes. Beauty is also Truth but it can be different for everybody.

The Word of God is the truth and by reading it for ourselves we too shall know the Truth - and that is what sets us free from the deception of man / organized religion / false teachers, etc.

First you say the Word of God, or the Bible, is not infallible, but that Truth doesn't change. How then do you know what you read is the Truth--your infallible intuition? Any kind of appeal to an internal Holy Spirit is ripe for deception. Sexual orgasm can be seen as an overwhelming manifestation of the Holy Spirit. Judging something to be universal Truth with your emotions makes you become your own false teacher.

God gave us free will so your ethics are your own. It is when you try to impose them on others that there's a problem.

God gave us ethics to follow. Free will is our choice to follow them or not. Proverbs is full of ethics. :eusa_angel:

There is no such thing as the doctrine of infallibility.

So the Bible can be wrong. How many Christians and observant Jews would agree with that.

Still this has nothing to do with the truth, P.T..

What has nothing to do with the Truth? The Bible? Is it the divine Truth or just the fallible words of men?

Truth is sovereign. It changes not.

Objective, scientific Truth, yes. Beauty is also Truth but it can be different for everybody.

The Word of God is the truth and by reading it for ourselves we too shall know the Truth - and that is what sets us free from the deception of man / organized religion / false teachers, etc.

First you say the Word of God, or the Bible, is not infallible, but that Truth doesn't change. How then do you know what you read is the Truth--your infallible intuition? Any kind of appeal to an internal Holy Spirit is ripe for deception. Sexual orgasm can be seen as an overwhelming manifestation of the Holy Spirit. Judging something to be universal Truth with your emotions makes you become your own false teacher.

The bible is the infallible Word of God. The Church is not infallible. The Church is made up of human beings - some who are in leadership interpret the scriptures wrong. God is not fallible. Man is. example* The Catholic church doctrine holds to the infallibility of the Church yet the RCC has been proven fallible. No where did I ever say the Word of God is fallible. I am speaking of man made doctrines that are not supported by the Word of God.

Last edited:

God gave us ethics to follow. Free will is our choice to follow them or not. Proverbs is full of ethics. :eusa_angel:
false!
Ethics is just a way of writing down or codifying things that most people agree are principles of good behavior.

There was ethics back before there was such a thing as philosophy. The Shaman or the village elder who would call the tribe to meeting and say, "you, big-nose, you must not beat your wife so much," and "you, Many Spears, have too much corn and should give some to Dog Face over there." And "Pig Stalker you should not have burned down Fish Eye's hut, it was bad, you are banished from the tribe." That's ethics. The fundamentals of ethics is what makes the tribe say "yes, Longbeard the Elder is right, he is wise, he knows how we should behave." Cause they all have a sense of ethics too, but they're not as skilled at putting it into words or practice as Longbeard.

And written ethics is the same thing. If I said, "the highest ethic is to walk down the street and kill everyone you see, and also annoy people" nobody would pay any attention because it's a bad description of the thing "ethics" generally stands for. It's not generally considered good behavior. That's all ethics is, is good behavior. Nobody discovered or invented good behavior.

Forum List

Back