Are My Neighbors Spying on Me?

Does anyone have any experience, positive or negative with Ring's Neighborhood app or something similar?

Ring doorbells, and any wifi network connected, voice activated 'convenience' device is pretty much a bug in your home. It is also prone to being hacked. Use them at your own risk.
Thanks. I don't have a Ring camera myself just access to their Neighborhood app which I've monitored from time to time. I've seen some really mundane activities marked as "suspicious", while other individuals seem to be aware that they're on camera and engaged in evasive measures to keep try to keep their faces from being photographed.

My inquiry has less to do with utilizing these services for myself than it does with finding a better destination to upload the footage. I have a few law enforcement options as well as a facial recognition database which is why I was asking if anyone has any positive or negative experiences with these devices/services before I start mass streaming ny evidence files.

You don't seem to find this voip stuff a slippery slope into an invasion into your personal identity. I do. These devices might be more convenient in aiding our lifestyles, but then, you're pretty much opening yourself to the filth of the unregulated Internet when you buy one. I'm trying not to sound like an ass. I sincerely have concern for preserving your identity. Just be careful, K?

You don't seem to find this voip stuff a slippery slope into an invasion into your personal identity. I do. These devices might be more convenient in aiding our lifestyles, but then, you're pretty much opening yourself to the filth of the unregulated Internet when you buy one. I'm trying not to sound like an ass. I sincerely have concern for preserving your identity. Just be careful, K?
K, thank you.

Does anyone have any experience, positive or negative with Ring's Neighborhood app or something similar? We may not know our neighbors very well, but video cameras and social platforms can reveal a lot more than any of us suspect.
You're worried about ring video cameras? Why, if I want to, I can watch you from a mile away and tell what brand cigarettes you are smoking. ;)
View attachment 313101
Not legally.

Oh really? What law am I breaking? You think that if I aim a pair of binoculars at the horizon and just because you're not aware of being within the field of view as you walk your dog, I can't look at you? I must turn away? You think that if I'm bird watching or people watching or just gazing at scenery and a person comes into the view or a car or something else, I must not look? What about all the cameras on every street corner, every alley, every building, in every restaurant-- -- -- next time you are out dining, look up; I bet you find a camera or three. There are cameras taking pictures of traffic around town recording your license plate and where you are going and where you drive. Every little thing that happens, people whip out their cellphones and take video of it.

If you are outside in public view, whether I am standing beside you or across the street or across the borough, if you are in view you are in view. If a telescope can see clouds on the surface of Mars, it can also see the rust on a nut on the back of a street sign half a mile away. We have telescopes that can see a penny or the flame of a match from across the United States. Really, the only limit usually is the instability of the ground air from heat waves rising off the Earth from sunlight.

Years ago I had a SMALL telescope I was evaluating and I took this afocal photograph from INSIDE my house. Mind you, I was IN my house, in my living room simply aimed at a CLOSED side window in my living room in the winter looking THROUGH the glass at a far hill at least 1/2 to 3/4 mile away and easily took this:

PC070286.JPG

Mind you, I wasn't actually looking at anything here, it was just a contrasty enough view to make an evaluation of the telescope optic on a day when it was too cold to go outside, but I have telescopes 10X more powerful that if I wanted, could probably fill the field of view with just a single one of those windows and under ideal conditions, look into the window to tell what program was on the TV!

Understand that if you are outside or even visible at your window, anything that CAN be seen with your eye is in the public domain, and an optical aid is merely an extension of the eye. Now, if some kook is deliberately trying to look in a window at night covertly in the shadows to watch some girl undress, that might be a different matter. But ring camera? They are a very poor optical aid. The good news I guess is that people willing to spend many thousands of dollars on a high quality telescope are far and few between and aren't much interested in what you are doing in your backyard, they spent all that money to study the surface of other planets or other galaxies. ;)

Does anyone have any experience, positive or negative with Ring's Neighborhood app or something similar? We may not know our neighbors very well, but video cameras and social platforms can reveal a lot more than any of us suspect.

You're worried about ring video cameras? Why, if I want to, I can watch you from a mile away and tell what brand cigarettes you are smoking. ;)

View attachment 313101
Get a better telescope. You go where I took this and you wont be leaving ;-)
bhouz.jpg

Yes, they are.

laughing0301.gif

KThat's why we knew 20 yrs ago and yall dumb asses are just now finding it out BAHAHAHAAH
laughing0301.gif

They had Ring doorbells 20 years ago, Crazy Train?

I'm sorry your IQ is to low to understand this as well
iu
i
Yes, they are.

laughing0301.gif

KThat's why we knew 20 yrs ago and yall dumb asses are just now finding it out BAHAHAHAAH
laughing0301.gif

They had Ring doorbells 20 years ago, Crazy Train?

We once again know your IQ can't get this one either

upload_2020-3-18_10-8-11.jpeg

CIA Chief: We'll Spy on You Through Your Dishwasher

AGAIN ZOMBIE YOU KNOW JACK AND SHIT!!

CIA Chief: We'll Spy on You Through Your Dishwasher

upload_2020-3-18_10-37-30.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh really? What law am I breaking?
Yeah really. If I'm in my home and you need a telescope, binoculars, etc. to see and photograph me while inside even if the windows/curtains are open then that's in the very least a violation of privacy because we all have a reasonable expectation of privacy within our abodes.

It could also be a violation of the laws prohibiting "peeping Toms"/voyeurism, and possibly harassment and/or stalking since the language of our protection orders often includes verbiage prohibiting placing or keeping the protection subject "under surveillance".

I'm glad though that you're arguing this from the perspective of what is a reasonable expectation of privacy while out in public because I've had both a front door camera (a makeshift "Ring" camera) and a dashcam for almost 2 decades longer than when they became popular and part of our current landscape. I was denigrated beyond belief by some people who still are harassing me about what they believe should be their privacy while prowling around my front & back doors and vehicles. And they have been tampered with on more than one occasion.

When I posted this I wanted to know what other people's experiences have been with the reporting system moreso than the cameras but have since decided it would probably be best just to fill out an online report with my local police department and upload the video footage to them. Who knows, it might help them clear one of their cases.

Anything else?

Oh really? What law am I breaking?
Yeah really. If I'm in my home and you need a telescope, binoculars, etc. to see and photograph me while inside even if the windows/curtains are open then that's in the very least a violation of privacy because we all have a reasonable expectation of privacy within our abodes.
Really? You think so? Is that why the police have a camera that can see right through your walls to see what your doing? Is that why the utility can look at your smartmeter data to figure out when you're home, when you go on vacation, whether you're an invalid and even roughly what you do? Is that why a couple years ago they tried to sue a man for lewdness for standing at his front door completely nude in sight of children and his rights were upheld because he did so inside his home?

It could also be a violation of the laws prohibiting "peeping Toms"/voyeurism, and possibly harassment and/or stalking since the language of our protection orders often includes verbiage prohibiting placing or keeping the protection subject "under surveillance".
Wrong. There is no harassment of a person if they don't know you're looking at them. There is no harm seeing something from 10 miles away if it can also be seen from 30 feet away. And there is no surveillance of someone unless it is done systematically, repeatedly and can be proven. A casual glance at someone because they walked in plain view across your field of gaze is not surveillance.

Like I said, you are probably being caught on camera and data taken of you or your car most everywhere you go once you get out onto major roads or most any public place.

I'm glad though that you're arguing this from the perspective of what is a reasonable expectation of privacy while out in public because I've had both a front door camera (a makeshift "Ring" camera) and a dashcam for almost 2 decades longer than when they became popular and part of our current landscape. I was denigrated beyond belief by some people who still are harassing me about what they believe should be their privacy while prowling around my front & back doors and vehicles. And they have been tampered with on more than one occasion.

Look, I'm not defending the issue. It offends me to be sitting in a family diner and see four cameras on their ceiling taking pictures of me while I eat from every angle. I'm just trying to be realistic and put it all in perspective, and no, the odds of you being watched by someone with a high-power $10,000 telescope from a mile away are probably a million to one. You have every right to monitor your property and your ring camera isn't doing or seeing any more than if you simply stood there yourself. Same with your dashcam. In fact, most insurance companies recommend them as a witness to accidents.

Those people complaining to you are obviously complaining because they don't want you to be able to see and record what they are doing, and yes, they are harassing you and ought to be charged as such. They obviously don't mean you well.

Does anyone have any experience, positive or negative with Ring's Neighborhood app or something similar?

We may not know our neighbors very well, but video cameras and social platforms can reveal a lot more than any of us suspect.​
08RightatHome-illo-articleLarge.jpg
Credit...Trisha Krauss​
I don’t know many of my neighbors, but I can tell you a lot about what’s happening on their doorsteps.​
Here’s a sampling of some recent events, viewed through the grainy footage of other people’s security cameras: An enterprising squirrel lay waste to a pumpkin; a man in a red plaid shirt shamelessly raked leaves into his neighbor’s driveway; and, around my bedtime one recent night, a teenager rang someone’s doorbell and ran off.​
I watched all this happen in 30-second loops, from video uploaded to Neighbors, the app for Ring, a brand of motion-detection cameras and video doorbells owned by Amazon. You don’t need to own a Ring to join Neighbors. Just enter your address and there you have it, a map of a five-mile radius of your home, littered with tags like “suspicious,” “crime,” and “unknown visitor.” Click on one and you get a fish-eye view from the porch, garage or second-floor window posted by someone who felt like sharing.​
The footage, posted anonymously, is invariably accompanied by a headline and caption. “Ring and run” read the one of a teenager in a hoodie bounding down the front steps of a house after ringing the doorbell. “Hey kid, you’re trespassing and it’s 10 p.m. Isn’t it past your bedtime?”​
“Because we do so much of our communication on our devices, we may have lost a bit of our skill and our comfort of communicating in person,” said Bella DePaulo, the author of “How We Live Now.”​
So instead, we upload videos and then commiserate virtually about porch pirates, potential porch pirates or a delivery man lingering too long on the doorstep. Cameras often catch what’s happening on the sidewalk or on a neighboring property, too. So your neighbors may never say hello, but they can film you taking out the trash, walking the dog, or shamelessly neglecting to scoop the poop, and then share it.​
There’s a risk to all the peeping and posting. “If you have a society where everyone knows they’re spying on one another, you could undercut social capital in the neighborhood,” said Jay Van Bavel, the director of the Social Perception and Evaluation Lab at New York University.​
I installed some of these apps a few weeks ago, curious to see what my neighborhood looked like from this vantage. Every few hours, my phone rattled with alerts, telling me about attempted car thefts, police chasing suspects and someone needing a bathroom contractor.​
Scott Sokol, 34, who lives in Montclair, N.J., with his wife and two young daughters, bought a Ring doorbell over the summer when Amazon was selling them at a discount. Thanks to the video doorbell, he now gets alerts on his phone when the nanny arrives home with the children, making him feel more comfortable leaving the children while he’s at work.​
But he finds the Neighbors app baffling. “It’s an odd collection of information,” he said. “Most of the time I get a Neighbors alert, it’s something in a neighboring town or three miles away — somebody’s car door was opened in Cedar Grove — it’s irritating.”​
Ring insists it tries to keep Neighbors alerts to a minimum. “Our app is meant to be low frequency, high relevancy,” said Che’von Lewis, a Ring spokeswoman.​
Regardless, the apps are popular. As of Wednesday, Nextdoor was the fourth most popular free app in the Apple App Store’s news category, and Citizen ranked sixth. Neighbors ranked 38th in the social networking category. There’s enough material to go around that the Twitter account @bestofnextdoor has gained almost 300,000 followers sharing particularly absurd postings, like one warning neighbors to be wary of teenage trick-or-treaters who may actually be criminals posing as children.​
All this data also may paint a skewed picture of the areas where we live. Across the U.S., crime is falling. In 2018, property crime dropped 6.3 percent from the previous year, and almost 28 percent from 2009, according to the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Yet log into Citizen or Neighbors and you might think you were in the middle of a crime wave.​
“We need to learn how to be data literate and we’re not,” said Pamela Rutledge, a media psychologist at Fielding Graduate University in Santa Barbara, Calif., and director of the Media Psychology Research Center, a nonprofit organization. “We need to know what we’re looking at and know what it means.”​
We may not be data literate, but our thirst for data seems boundless.​
Now, for $2,000 a year, a concerned homeowner can buy a service from a company that will affix a camera to a pole and angle it toward the street to capture pictures of the license plates on every car across two lanes of traffic up to 100 feet away. Two cameras, one positioned at either end of the block, could capture all the cars coming and going down a street. The company, Flock Safety, can view or access the footage with the homeowners’ consent. Flock cameras are in 400 cities in 36 states, and half of its customers are civic associations.
The idea behind the camera: If someone steals a bike or breaks into a house, police can review the footage looking for any suspicious vehicles. While Ring has partnered with 405 law enforcement agencies around the country, potentially providing them access to homeowners’ video feeds, Flock alerts authorities if a camera spots a vehicle with a license plate in the FBI’s National Crime Information Center database.​
“Is this a surveillance state? We don’t think that it is,” said Garrett Langley, chief executive of Flock Safety.​
At some point, you have to wonder how many cameras we actually need, and how much of the footage is worth watching. Robin Guarino, who has lived in her house in West Orange, N.J., for 20 years, doesn’t mind that many of her neighbors installed video doorbells. She sees the benefit — a camera might deter a porch pirate.​
But recently a couple moved into a house on the corner and affixed small cameras to the side of their porch, facing out onto the street. That got her attention.​
“It’s a little bit creepy,” she said. “What are they going to capture? Nothing goes on in this neighborhood.”​

Are My Neighbors Spying on Me?

You guys don’t really believe this information is accessible “only if the homeowner consents “ do you LOL.
That’s pure bs and it’s a lie.

Forum List

Back