Anyone want to talk about the joys of high taxes?

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Tell me again how higher taxes are good for the economy.

Tell me gain how high taxes spur investment.

Tell me again how we need to be more like Europe.

The French economy unexpectedly shrank in the third quarter as President Francois Hollande failed to revive corporate investment in the face of one of the world’s heaviest tax burdens.
Gross domestic product fell 0.1 percent in the three months through September, national statistics office Insee said in an e-mailed statement. Economists forecast no growth, according to the median of 24 estimates in a Bloomberg News survey.
The figures, which follow France’s exit from recession in the second quarter, underline the issues Hollande is confronting as he tries to revive Europe’s second-largest economy and reverse an increase in unemployment that’s at a 14-year high. Facing taxes equivalent to 46 percent of GDP, companies such as Cie de Saint Gobain SA are cutting investment spending or holding off raising it.
“The French economy may have touched bottom but companies are still hesitating,” said Michel Martinez, an economist at Societe Generale in Paris. “There remains huge uncertainty around economic policy and profit margins are among the weakest in Europe. The upshot is that we have a recovery but a tepid one.”
Investment spending by non-financial companies fell 0.6 percent in the quarter, while consumer spending rose 0.2 percent.

French Economy Shrinks as Businesses Hold Off on Investment - Bloomberg

While you are at it, tell me why this is "unexpected."

i guess taxes are "good" for the recipients of the resulting (government) spending, e.g. transfer payments

'twould be nice if everybody at least acknowledged, even if only privately, that taxes do always strangle the over-all macro-economy (then there would exist some sort of common ground, grounded in actual economic fact)

The French economy unexpectedly shrank in the third quarter as President Francois Hollande failed to revive corporate investment in the face of one of the world’s heaviest tax burdens.
Gross domestic product fell 0.1 percent in the three months through September, national statistics office Insee said in an e-mailed statement. Economists forecast no growth, according to the median of 24 estimates in a Bloomberg News survey.
The figures, which follow France’s exit from recession in the second quarter, underline the issues Hollande is confronting as he tries to revive Europe’s second-largest economy and reverse an increase in unemployment that’s at a 14-year high. Facing taxes equivalent to 46 percent of GDP, companies such as Cie de Saint Gobain SA are cutting investment spending or holding off raising it.
“The French economy may have touched bottom but companies are still hesitating,” said Michel Martinez, an economist at Societe Generale in Paris. “There remains huge uncertainty around economic policy and profit margins are among the weakest in Europe. The upshot is that we have a recovery but a tepid one.”
Investment spending by non-financial companies fell 0.6 percent in the quarter, while consumer spending rose 0.2 percent.

You really think? that the USA is in a "high tax" environment? Taxes as low as they have been for some time.

Why don't you point out the success of the tax cuts under Bush. You know, where all those jobs were created after the "job creators" got their big tax cut.

"High taxes" are hardly a problem.

LOW WAGES, on the other hand, is a big problem. And unemployment.

You really think? that the USA is in a "high tax" environment? Taxes as low as they have been for some time.

Why don't you point out the success of the tax cuts under Bush. You know, where all those jobs were created after the "job creators" got their big tax cut.

Incredible job of totally missing the point.

Chinese output slid the last quarter also, as did Mexico's and other nations, but the rich in the USA are not feeling it.

i guess taxes are "good" for the recipients of the resulting (government) spending, e.g. transfer payments

'twould be nice if everybody at least acknowledged, even if only privately, that taxes do always strangle the over-all macro-economy (then there would exist some sort of common ground, grounded in actual economic fact)

Taxes, the price we pay for civilization. Oliver Wendell Holmes

yeah, after FDR America had a wonderful experience happen: the American dream was realized for tens of millions of working class stiffs.

Of course, it was wealth redistribution that made America great

Operationally, we don't need to tax the rich to pay for government spending, since the government has to spend first before we have the $$$$ to extinguish our tax liabilities. Contrary to right wing propaganda, the government isn't some Robin Hood, dependent on tax revenues to operate. The government spends/creates $$$$ by having the FED credit private bank accounts.

We should increase taxes on the rich when their spending poses a direct threat to the stability of the currency with inflation. If there isn't an inflation danger, we shouldn't tax the rich before keystroking spending power for the poor. As progressives, we shouldn't link the two, because it confuses the public and decreases support for the poor. And it's totally incorrect from a monetary operations standpoint, unless the economy is at full capacity utilization.

The rich can do more damage to a currency by exiting from the domestic currency and running to safe havens at any sign of inflation. Think about Argentina where this is currently a problem, thus causing inflation fears and an exit out of pesos and into dollars. We should have a progressive tax system to protect our currency from any type of antisocial behavior by the rich.

Capital gains taxes on the rich can also discourage speculative excesses, usury, excessive inequality, etc. Most importantly, taxing the rich has nothing to so with government revenue. We use taxes to keep the currency strong and regulate aggregate demand.

Last edited:
... the government isn't some Robin Hood, dependent on tax revenues to operate. The government spends/creates $$$$ by having the FED credit private bank accounts...
Actually, the money the fed issues and the currency the Treasury Dept. prints/coins adds up to a small percentage of the total $12T in the US money supply. The vast majority of money creation is by banks loaning money on the collateral they get title to. The government does not issue and print enough money to operate, so it needs some of the money created in banks. The reason the rich get taxed more than the poor is because they have more money than the poor.

It's how things work.

I love the use of "unexpectedly" in describing the abysmal economy of France.

Their economic performance is not unexpected to those of us who understand economics and human nature.

I'll just use California.............................

Dems yell, WE ARE GOING TO TAX THE SHIT OUT OF YOU.............YOU EVIL CORPORATE PIGS.................................AJDKFJAJDFKAJF and all that.............

Then...............

Why are you leaving us..........................

Boogles the mind doesn't it........................

This morning I got up.
Drove my car on something called "a road". That was the result of taxes.
It took me over something called "bridge". That was a the result of taxes.
Before turning on to the street I worked, I noticed another car stopped at something called a "traffic light". That was the result of taxes.

So I made it to work in one piece. That was the result of taxes.

Get rid of automatic payroll withholdings ... Make everyone pay taxes once a year ... And we won't be discussing problems with taxation any more.
It might take us a little while to recover from what happens when we do that ... But I think it would be worthwhile.

This morning I got up.
Before turning on to the street I worked, I noticed another car stopped at something called a "traffic light". That was the result of taxes.

General Disclaimer note..............

All products used to produce roads, bridges, electricity, lights were invented, produced and installed by the private sector. These above comments are not intended to suggest that the Gov't built and paid for these products and in no way does the Gov't intend to take credit for those individuals that have produced the products we use through Capitalism................

Another note..................

The businesses and Companies have paid sufficient taxes to pay for all the roads, bridges etc. used in the Shallow post.

To show his appreciation for the liberties of using their roads, as they paid for them, he should send thankyou letters to them all.................

This morning I got up.

General Disclaimer note..............

All products used to produce roads, bridges, electricity, lights were invented, produced and installed by the private sector. These above comments are not intended to suggest that the Gov't built and paid for these products and in no way does the Gov't intend to take credit for those individuals that have produced the products we use through Capitalism................

Well no.

But dream a little dream.

:lol:

The businesses and Companies have paid sufficient taxes to pay for all the roads, bridges etc. used in the Shallow post.

To show his appreciation for the liberties of using their roads, as they paid for them, he should send thankyou letters to them all.................

Most all the businesses that have gone bankrupt are on or near roads the government built ... It must be the government's fault their doors are closed now.

Basically each American pays something like 4 grand a year to subsidize the "Too big to fail types".

The thanks should come from them. :lol:

Forum List

Back