Anyone into crossbows?

Looking at crossbows.
Did shoot bows back in the day but I dont think my shoulder is up to snuff these days for drawing a bow repeatedly.
Looking for one in the $1500 dollar range.
I pulled out my 40lb practice bow a few weeks back and it damn near pulled my shoulder out of the socket,, so not a chance of pulling my 65lb bear recurve,
so I'm looking onto cross bows too, just not going for the 1500.00 ones, hoping for under 900

let us know what you get

Barnett is still good quality.

Yep,there's so many brands out there it's really tough to choose.
Definitely want one that has a decocker. Dont want to have to shoot the bolt into a target or a hay bale in order to unload it. And of course the crank rather than the stirrup.
They all come with a scope at that price point,some better than others. They also come with the lighted reticle.
Want 400fps or above for sure.

I pulled out my 40lb practice bow a few weeks back and it damn near pulled my shoulder out of the socket,, so not a chance of pulling my 65lb bear recurve,
so I'm looking onto cross bows too, just not going for the 1500.00 ones, hoping for under 900

let us know what you get

I started out looking at $1000 and found I'd need to ass up another $500 to get the features I want.

they always get you with the add ons,,

While true,the add ons in this case are a good idea.
Being able to decock the bow without shooting it into a soft target is a good idea. You dont want to climb out of your stand with a loaded bow.
Also want the crank rather than the stirrup.

Looking at crossbows.
Did shoot bows back in the day but I dont think my shoulder is up to snuff these days for drawing a bow repeatedly.
No. I have one. Do not like. I like my old bow, do not like crossbow.

I guess you better get a crank-cocking one then. The one I have shoots just as good as a $1500 one.

I cock it about 3x by hand, hoping my foot doesn't slip. You're supposed to use this string gimmick.

I just don't like it like a regular bow. Most likely it's just me. Accuracy? Eh..it's probably a little tighter than me and my bow with the medium hunter sight and probably is better at like 40 yards, too.
But I don't be taking hunting shots that far out.
Hmm..did I put that thing on the chrono? I think 370 FPS, but I use scuds.
I have found over the years that arrow speed don't make a fuck, but heavy arrows/heads group a helluva lot tighter.
Slower can be quieter, too. The stirrup did slip from my foot on the crossbow one time while cocking it, the butt hit me dead in the jaw. Yes, I saw a flash of light.
I need to get rid of that thing.

Last edited:
Yep,there's so many brands out there it's really tough to choose.
Definitely want one that has a decocker. Dont want to have to shoot the bolt into a target or a hay bale in order to unload it. And of course the crank rather than the stirrup.
They all come with a scope at that price point,some better than others. They also come with the lighted reticle.
Want 400fps or above for sure.
I am at about 360 fps on mine. Don't know why you would end any more. A deer will duck the shit from the noise of your string release most times at shots over 40 yards. As far the crank verse pulls rope to cock. Not sure how I feel there. Crank takes some time. The decocker is nice but I just Cary a target bolt and let her loose into the ground or target. As far as getting down from stand I put the safety on and remove the bolt while getting down. Most people I know carry Centerpoint. My buddy Mike just bought an Excalibur. He spent a great deal more time researching it than when I bought my Centerpoint. Check out DeathbyBungy I think is the name of the site where he tests every bow on the market for you many with video. I would not go past 360 fps. Almost every one I know with those higher fps bow have limb problems after a couple of years. You don't need to spend that kind money on a crossbow.

I am at about 360 fps on mine. Don't know why you would end any more. A deer will duck the shit from the noise of your string release most times at shots over 40 yards. As far the crank verse pulls rope to cock. Not sure how I feel there. Crank takes some time. The decocker is nice but I just Cary a target bolt and let her loose into the ground or target. As far as getting down from stand I put the safety on and remove the bolt while getting down. Most people I know carry Centerpoint. My buddy Mike just bought an Excalibur. He spent a great deal more time researching it than when I bought my Centerpoint. Check out DeathbyBungy I think is the name of the site where he tests every bow on the market for you many with video. I would not go past 360 fps. Almost every one I know with those higher fps bow have limb problems after a couple of years. You don't need to spend that kind money on a crossbow.
I put limb savers on mine. Yeah, I know a lot of bow tricks. Not even sure if for crossbow or not, but they're on there.
Think I even got a front mathingy on there and string silencers. The front weight thingy..stabilizer? :dunno:
It's accurate, but a pain in the ass. I lightened Ye Olde 80 pounder up a tad and it works just fine for me.
I enjoy shooting bow, crossbow?..Eh! I do know it takes 90 lbs with 2 hands to cock the crossbow and w/o
the string thingy, it feels like it will burn lines in your fingers.

Last edited:
I put limb savers on mine. Yeah, I know a lot of bow tricks. Not even sure if for crossbow or not, but they're on there.
Think I even got a front mathingy on there and string silencers. The front weight thingy..stabilizer? :dunno:
It's accurate, but a pain in the ass. I lightened Ye Olde 80 pounder up a tad and it works just fine for me.
I enjoy shooting bow, crossbow?..Eh! I do know it takes 90 lbs with 2 hands to cock the crossbow and w/o
the string thingy, it feels like it will burn lines in your fingers.
Many a year with 75 or 80 pound compound bow. Just hurts my shoulders to pull at my age. Switched to crossbow 3 years ago. My cheap 700 dollar Centerpoint has been more than reliable. I never try and cock mine with out the string pulls. That would tear your fingers up big time. I take enough hooks during fishing season my hands need to heal over fall winter. I am so far with out taking a deer. Last year this time 4 does and a buck. Many hours in a stand this year and have taken only one shot and did not drop it. Hunting has been rough this year for me on land. My main line is water foul. I duck guide 3 days a week this year down from every day last season. Just old to be covered in ice every day. Hired a 25 year old guy to take most the trips this year. This guy is a hunting and fishing beast. May even be able to sell him my boat and decoys in couple years. He is also one of the best charter captains up. I told him I would add a boat if he would run for me this summer. Unfortunately he was planning on doing his own thing summers. Oh well

Looking at crossbows.
I hadn't looked at crossbows in around 30 + years. Checked them out recently, saw the prices and almost choked...........

I want a crossbow for several reasons.
One it's quiet,two it's deadly and three I can retrieve my bolts,assuming they dont get fucked up when I shoot em.
In other words it's a great SHTF weapon. And it's fun to shoot.
I would like to have one of the new air guns that'll drop a deer but without canned air it becomes kinda useless

Forum List

Back