Anyone else setting off some Tannerite for the weekend?

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
I'm not. But I'm going to let my wife set some off. :laughing0301:

I picked up a four-pack of one-pounders for $20 today. Gonna duct tape them to some dead trees up the hill about 80 yards, and let the wife blow them up. She'll be shooting a sporterized WW1-era P-1917 Enfield in 30-06, with some 174 grain FMJ handloads I have. They were loaded down to USGI velocity: 54.4 grains of Hodgdon H4350, running ~2700 fps, and having ~2300 ft. lbs. of kinetic energy. To put that in perspective, a 115 grain 9mm moving at 1000 fps has about 292 ft. lbs. of kinetic energy.

So here's what she'll be shooting...

tannerite1.jpg

tannerite2.jpg

tannerite3.jpg

See that white speck up the hill? The one right above the forearm rest? That's the target I used to check the sight-on on the scope...

tannerite4.jpg

tannerite5.jpg

The first tree that getting blown up is the 6" tree to the right of the target...

tannerite6.jpg

I checked the sight-in on the rifle, and got it dead-center within five rounds. Now if she can just hit the Tannerite when I tape it to the tree this weekend.

tannerite7.jpg

Stay tuned. I'll probably film it and upload the video this weekend, if I can figure out how without using Youtube.

I have a reproduction 1840 Coehorn mortar. Modern skinny beer cans filled with cement are right for the 3-1/2 inch bore. Loaded with an ounce of black powder it makes the earth shake and propels the cans outa sight.

I picked up a four-pack of one-pounders for $20 today. Gonna duct tape them to some dead trees up the hill about 80 yards, and let the wife blow them up. She'll be shooting a sporterized WW1-era P-1917 Enfield in 30-06, with some 174 grain FMJ handloads I have. They were loaded down to USGI velocity: 54.4 grains of Hodgdon H4350, running ~2700 fps, and having ~2300 ft. lbs. of kinetic energy. To put that in perspective, a 115 grain 9mm moving at 1000 fps has about 292 ft. lbs. of kinetic energy.

View attachment 508230

View attachment 508231

View attachment 508232

See that white speck up the hill? The one right above the forearm rest? That's the target I used to check the sight-on on the scope...

View attachment 508233

View attachment 508234

The first tree that getting blown up is the 6" tree to the right of the target...

View attachment 508235

I checked the sight-in on the rifle, and got it dead-center within five rounds. Now if she can just hit the Tannerite when I tape it to the tree this weekend.

View attachment 508236

Stay tuned. I'll probably film it and upload the video this weekend, if I can figure out how without using Youtube.
Wow, your area is very lush and green. I like using tannerite, but we live in a forest as well but ours is tinder dry right now. I won't be setting off any incendiary devices this summer.

View attachment 508230

View attachment 508231

View attachment 508232

View attachment 508233

View attachment 508234

View attachment 508235

View attachment 508236

Wow, your area is very lush and green. I like using tannerite, but we live in a forest as well but ours is tinder dry right now. I won't be setting off any incendiary devices this summer.

Good news: Tannerite is by definition a non-incendiary explosive, since all of the oxygen in it is consumed by the reaction when it goes off.

Plus, we've have a bit of rain here during the last few weeks, and the ground is still pretty wet.

I

View attachment 508230

View attachment 508231

View attachment 508232

View attachment 508233

View attachment 508234

View attachment 508235

View attachment 508236

Good news: Tannerite is by definition a non-incendiary explosive, since all of the oxygen in it is consumed by the reaction when it goes off.

Plus, we've have a bit of rain here during the last few weeks, and the ground is still pretty wet.
It may say it is non incendiary, but it starts fires here in the NW every year.

I

View attachment 508230

View attachment 508231

View attachment 508232

View attachment 508233

View attachment 508234

View attachment 508235

View attachment 508236

It may say it is non incendiary, but it starts fires here in the NW every year.

Thanks. I'll have to drink plenty of beer so I can piss the fire out, should that happen.

:laughing0301:

I'm surrounded by match sticks disguised as pine trees.....so no....but there is a fishing derby at the lake and a town BBQ in the park with live music dancing and beer and wine booths....
They roped off an area for three legged races and tug of war contests...
It should be fun....

So my wife was too busy doing the dishes today and I couldn't wait. So I set off a pound tied to the tree. All it did was skin the bark off the tree. I'll try two pounds tomorrow.

So my wife was too busy doing the dishes today and I couldn't wait. So I set off a pound tied to the tree. All it did was skin the bark off the tree. I'll try two pounds tomorrow.

Yeah...
It takes at least 4 lbs to do any real damage to something.
You can launch bowling balls with a piece of steel pipe around 6 inches in diameter with a notch cut in it.
You cut a U shaped notch in the pipe and bury it till the top is level with the ground. Then you dig a trench leading to the notch which exposes the tannnerite.
The rest is self explanatory.
It'll send a bowling ball a good 300 ft up if ya load enough tannnerite.

Yeah...
You can launch bowling balls with a piece of steel pipe around 6 inches in diameter with a notch cut in it.
You cut a U shaped notch in the pipe and bury it till the top is level with the ground. Then you dig a trench leading to the notch which exposes the tannnerite.

Yikes! That sounds scary, especially since I live 60 yards from a highway.

Yeah...

Yikes! That sounds scary, especially since I live 60 yards from a highway.

Yeah that could get a bit risky.
We set the stuff off on a 6k acre lease we're on. Our campsite is a good two miles off the road.
We get the old bowling balls and pins from bowling alleys,a lot of the time they just give them away.
The pins are great to hang from trees as a target. Occasionally we'll send some of the bowling balls into the lake by the camp sight.
They make a huge splash when they land.

Forum List

Back