Any dog psychologist here? :D

Our GSD know the difference between weekend mornings, and weekday mornings.
I believe she knows the difference based on we do different things on Fr/Sat nite. Stay up later.
On work days, she begins walking around the bed, putting her paw on the bed right around 5:45am. We get up at 6,
On weekends, she doesn't bother us at all till closer to 7 am. Every time. Clearly she knows weekends we sleep later.
GSD's are amazing in that way, they are VERY tied to your habits. They know what you are going to do at the earliest sign of it.
They love and depend on routines, and get easily stressed when things don't follow them.
For instance, washing the back screened in patio off. We start moving furniture off... getting the hose out etc. - she is over their freaking out...running around in circles, whining as if to say "what the hell are you guys doing!!??"
She knows when I am going to mow the lawn, because instead of putting "comfy pants" on (sweat pants) I put on an old pair of jeans instead - she head straight for the back door because she likes to sit on the patio and watch.
Yep. Most of the dogs I have lived with are very aware of time and our routines.

I believe she knows the difference based on we do different things on Fr/Sat nite. Stay up later.
On work days, she begins walking around the bed, putting her paw on the bed right around 5:45am. We get up at 6,
On weekends, she doesn't bother us at all till closer to 7 am. Every time. Clearly she knows weekends we sleep later.
GSD's are amazing in that way, they are VERY tied to your habits. They know what you are going to do at the earliest sign of it.
They love and depend on routines, and get easily stressed when things don't follow them.
For instance, washing the back screened in patio off. We start moving furniture off... getting the hose out etc. - she is over their freaking out...running around in circles, whining as if to say "what the hell are you guys doing!!??"
She knows when I am going to mow the lawn, because instead of putting "comfy pants" on (sweat pants) I put on an old pair of jeans instead - she head straight for the back door because she likes to sit on the patio and watch.
Yep. Most of the dogs I have lived with are very aware of time and our routines.
Only bad thing about GSD's, especially females, they can be extremely territorial. As ours is.
She is super cool with people as long as the proper introduction is made. And you have to do it if she has never seen you before. It isn't a joke.
The best method, is when someone comes she doesn't know... leave her outside (she has a large fenced in area off the back door)
Bring the person in and have them sit in a chair. I bring her into the room on a leash.
She will be alerted to them instantly. She will huff n puff and pull towards the living room. She will smell them, look at them etc. And then I take her off the leash. She will smell them again, but the person can't reach out until she appears ok with it, usually she will lay her paw on their lap or bring them a toy. If someone makes a move when she isn't ready for them to... it's not good. And she may never trust them.

Only bad thing about GSD's, especially females, they can be extremely territorial. As ours is.
She is super cool with people as long as the proper introduction is made. And you have to do it if she has never seen you before. It isn't a joke.
The best method, is when someone comes she doesn't know... leave her outside (she has a large fenced in area off the back door)
Bring the person in and have them sit in a chair. I bring her into the room on a leash.
She will be alerted to them instantly. She will huff n puff and pull towards the living room. She will smell them, look at them etc. And then I take her off the leash. She will smell them again, but the person can't reach out until she appears ok with it, usually she will lay her paw on their lap or bring them a toy. If someone makes a move when she isn't ready for them to... it's not good. And she may never trust them.
Yep. GSD are that way. It's important to be consistent about introducing new people. A protective dog is a good thing but you want to be able to have friendlies to the house.

Our Germen Shepherd does a peculiar thing every time my wife and I leave the house.
She goes into our bedroom and gets one each of our slippers. She does not harm them, chew on them etc. Just brings it onto the living room.
Even if we are only gone for 5 minutes.
One of my hypothesis is when we change out of our shoes into slippers, she knows that means we are going nowhere. So she brings one of each of our slippers into the living room so we will stay home.
She can smell you on them makes her feel like you are there. A little separation anxiety going on there and she copes well

Forum List

Back