Any dog psychologist here? :D

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Our Germen Shepherd does a peculiar thing every time my wife and I leave the house.
She goes into our bedroom and gets one each of our slippers. She does not harm them, chew on them etc. Just brings it onto the living room.
Even if we are only gone for 5 minutes.
One of my hypothesis is when we change out of our shoes into slippers, she knows that means we are going nowhere. So she brings one of each of our slippers into the living room so we will stay home.

Our Germen Shepherd does a peculiar thing every time my wife and I leave the house.
She goes into our bedroom and gets one each of our slippers. She does not harm them, chew on them etc. Just brings it onto the living room.
One of my hypothesis is when we change out of our shoes into slippers, she knows that means we are going nowhere. So she brings one of each of our slippers into the living room so we will stay home.
Sense of smell. It makes her feel better having your smell around.

I thought that perhaps, but in the living room our scent is everywhere.

I had a dog who liked to poop in my shoes. It broke me off my habit of just kicking them off wherever on the floor.

If that's the case, your dog is smarter than Biden. And he's way smarter than Biden's ill mannered antifa dog.

If that's the case, your dog is smarter than Biden. And he's way smarter than Biden's ill mannered antifa dog.
Biden's GSD's are abused.
German Shepherds have an intense bond with their family members, and usually one in particular the most.
They NEED this bond to be mentally healthy. It is what they are.
Without that, they will become easily irritable and destructive. He should never have chosen a GSD to live in such a public setting with so much going on.

Sounds to me that your GSD is bonded to you and your wife. When you are away, she takes comfort in your slippers. Sure, your scent is everywhere but the slippers are specific. This is a positive thing. At least that's my take.

They smell like feet?

1621180713584.png

Our dog (border collie/ cattle dog mix) is obsessed with our shoes/slippers too. When she wants to play outside, and my wife and/or I am watching TV, she will bring us a shoe or a slipper and hand it to one of us. I will take the shoe or slipper and then tell her to get the other one, and she goes to our walk-in closet and brings the other one. She then sits and looks at us until we get up and toss the frisbee. It doesn't matter if we are wearing shoes or slippers, it's her method of communication.

BTW: She's way smarter and more polite than dumb donald. And she is not a fat lazy blob such as the former President.

Go away, you contribute not a damn thing.

godboy has it close to right IMO.
Most people don't consider a dog to be capable of deeo thought. This is mostly due to religious superstitious beliefs that humans stand alone as special mammals.

My Border Collie has shown me that he's capable of deeper thinking and understanding on some matters than any human. His senses are more finely tuned than human's senses.

The spamming of this thread is just another example of how religious superstitious beliefs hold humans back from a full appreciation of the world around them.

Our dog (border collie/ cattle dog mix) is obsessed with our shoes/slippers too. When she wants to play outside, and my wife and/or I am watching TV, she will bring us a shoe or a slipper and hand it to one of us. I will take the shoe or slipper and then tell her to get the other one, and she goes to our walk-in closet and brings the other one. She then sits and looks at us until we get up and toss the frisbee. It doesn't matter if we are wearing shoes or slippers, it's her method of communication.

BTW: She's way smarter and more polite than dumb donald. And she is not a fat lazy blob such as the former President.
She's doing her job in that the slippers or frisbee is her substitution for the prey animal. She brings them to her pack. But most Border Collie owners will already understand that.

Wow had to make a pooch love thread a TDS / Trump OCD support group rant

You displayed your affliction well for all to see.

Wow had to make a pooch love thread a TDS / Trump OCD support group rant

You displayed your affliction well for all to see.
I had to block them because I got so sick of seeing their never ending stupid show.

As smart as they are, even Shepards don't fully understand the concept of time.

My Boxers know when it's time to eat and when the Wife is due home from work.
They start looking at the door at around 5:15. When they know it's time to eat they'll sit in front of me and stare.
My Male Boxer Gadsden decided he no longer liked his food,and he let us know in no uncertian terms.
He pulled stuffing out of his bed and did this with it..........
5D25562E-E411-4B8A-894A-039C07A540A2.jpeg

They start looking at the door at around 5:15. When they know it's time to eat they'll sit in front of me and stare.
My Male Boxer Gadsden decided he no longer liked his food,and he let us know in no uncertian terms.
View attachment 490212
I bet they really get pissed off when the clock has to fall back!

View attachment 490212
I bet they really get pissed off when the clock has to fall back!

The last time change jacked with them for a couple of weeks.

Let it go and don't worry about it. Let your dog do his/her thing--- whatever floats their boat. Leaving the house is a source of great insecurity and stress for a lot of house pets and your dog copes with it by having something readily available that has a strong presence of your being there to bolster their security until you come back.

Our GSD know the difference between weekend mornings, and weekday mornings.
I believe she knows the difference based on we do different things on Fr/Sat nite. Stay up later.
On work days, she begins walking around the bed, putting her paw on the bed right around 5:45am. We get up at 6,
On weekends, she doesn't bother us at all till closer to 7 am. Every time. Clearly she knows weekends we sleep later.
GSD's are amazing in that way, they are VERY tied to your habits. They know what you are going to do at the earliest sign of it.
They love and depend on routines, and get easily stressed when things don't follow them.
For instance, washing the back screened in patio off. We start moving furniture off... getting the hose out etc. - she is over their freaking out...running around in circles, whining as if to say "what the hell are you guys doing!!??"
She knows when I am going to mow the lawn, because instead of putting "comfy pants" on (sweat pants) I put on an old pair of jeans instead - she head straight for the back door because she likes to sit on the patio and watch.

Forum List

Back