Any celiacs here? Or others who avoid wheat/gluten for whatever reason?

barbella

Rookie
Jul 28, 2013
My husband is a Celiac, and can't eat ANY wheat or gluten whatsoever. If he does, he gets deathly ill, stomach problems as well as a terrible skin rash that drives him mad. Over the years, we've adapted to the gluten free diet very well, but I'm always looking for new, tasty recipes that can be made with everyday ingredients, not some exotic thing that no one ever eats and your supermarket doesn't even carry... LOL.

As an aside, I, myself, have lately decided to avoid wheat as much as possible. I've been reading quite a bit about wheat allergies or intolerance, even for people who don't have celiac disease. Seems like every time I eat white or wheat bread or pasta, my arthritis pain flares up terribly... my joints feel like they're on fire. I'm starting to put the two together, finally, and am going to continue to avoid those foods as much as possible.

Anyone else here in the same boat?

Funny how only recently, and despite thousands of years of eating wheat products with no issues whatsoever, suddenly some people have problems with it.

I think something else is going on.

I don't have celiac disease but that was a suspect about 10 years ago, as was lactose intolerance for the same symptoms -- it turned out to be ulcers, and once that was made clear I got the multi-antibiotic regimen and got rid of it. But before it was diagnosed I had some of those same symptoms you describe if I ate something like pasta. It got to where I was living on baby food and broth, not trusting anything else, until it was figured out with a blood test.

But wheat has gotten really nasty. A year and a half ago when my weight got out of control and my doctor started flinging terms I had never heard before -- 'pre-diabetes'.... 'high cholesterol'... 'high BP'... I knew the time had come to drop the excess, and immediately dropped wheat. That was worth at least 30 pounds all by itself (I had done it before, dropped wheat, making no other changes, actually eating more, and still dropped 40). Altogether I got rid of 65 pounds, and most of that was simply done by not eating wheat.

Eating wheat, which is a grass, is not only very recent in terms of human history -- it ain't anything like what it used to be.
Somebody else passed on this link a while back and it's an eye-opener: The Dark Side of "Healthy" Wheat

Nobody loves bread more than I do but it's one of those things one has to leave behind, or let it kill you.

The interview subject in this program has some illuminating background on it too.

Last edited:
I don't have celiac disease but that was a suspect about 10 years ago, as was lactose intolerance for the same symptoms -- it turned out to be ulcers, and once that was made clear I got the multi-antibiotic regimen and got rid of it. But before it was diagnosed I had some of those same symptoms you describe if I ate something like pasta. It got to where I was living on baby food and broth, not trusting anything else, until it was figured out with a blood test.

But wheat has gotten really nasty. A year and a half ago when my weight got out of control and my doctor started flinging terms I had never heard before -- 'pre-diabetes'.... 'high cholesterol'... 'high BP'... I knew the time had come to drop the excess, and immediately dropped wheat. That was worth at least 30 pounds all by itself (I had done it before, dropped wheat, making no other changes, actually eating more, and still dropped 40). Altogether I got rid of 65 pounds, and most of that was simply done by not eating wheat.

Eating wheat, which is a grass, is not only very recent in terms of human history -- it ain't anything like what it used to be.
Somebody else passed on this link a while back and it's an eye-opener: The Dark Side of "Healthy" Wheat

Nobody loves bread more than I do but it's one of those things one has to leave behind, or let it kill you.

The interview subject in this program has some illuminating background on it too.

I agree with you on all counts. People THINK humans have eaten wheat for thousands of years... not true. And yes, the hybridization of wheat, IMO, is very likely contributing to the steep increase of celiac disease and gluten intolerance we see today. All I know for sure, of course, is that, after being "good" for weeks and staying away from wheat made me feel better. Then, last night, if messed up and ate (shame on me, but I was traveling) a Burger King Whopper, including the bun. An hour later I was in agony... my joints were on fire.

No more. NOTHING is worth that pain. :-D

PS... I know several people who dropped 30 lbs or more once they went gluten free...

New portable gluten testing device...
icon_cool.gif

Company's Device Permits On-the-spot Gluten Tests
August 30, 2016 — A California startup has developed a portable technology that will allow consumers to test their food for gluten on the go.
"Even when you go out and see these labeled menu items, you are still playing Russian roulette," said Shireen Yates, co-founder and chief executive of Nima, founded in 2013. Designed in San Francisco by a team from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Stanford University, Google and Nike, the company's namesake product, Nima, can analyze any type of food or beverage for gluten down to 20 parts per million, the Food & Drug Administration classification for gluten-free products. "There is still cross-contamination, there is miscommunication. You just never know," Yates added.

C266915E-AA85-4101-8D56-D90E58910764_cx0_cy1_cw0_w250_r1_s_r1.jpg

A test for gluten with Nima takes a couple of minutes. After the device measures the chemical reaction between antibody proteins and gluten, the screen will display a happy face if no gluten was detected.​

An estimated 15 million people in the United States have some form of food allergy, a statistic that is on the rise, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Users of the device are instructed to fill a disposable cartridge with a pea-sized sample of food and then load it into the device, which is about half the size of a smartphone. Roughly two minutes later, after the device measures the chemical reaction between antibody proteins and gluten, the screen will display a happy face if no gluten was detected. Conversely, a wheat icon and text that reads "gluten found" will appear if any gluten is detected.

According to Yates, the antibodies bind to the presence of gluten if it is present in the sample, triggering a change that a sensor picks up on, Yates said. To date, the company has raised $14 million with the help of a $9.2 million Series A round of venture capital funding earlier this year. The funding, Yates said, will drive the company's next-generation sensor, which consumers will be able to purchase as soon as 2017 if they want to detect milk and peanut allergens in their food as well. Yates is launching an iPhone application to complement the device, allowing users to share their results. The first orders of the gluten device, priced at $199, are expected to ship out to customers by the end of the year.

Company's Device Permits On-the-spot Gluten Tests

PS... I know several people who dropped 30 lbs or more once they went gluten free...
Dropping 30 pounds is not necessarily a sign of better health. Many times it is a symptom of being very ill and malnourished.

Oftentimes for a snack I eat a loaf of warm Italian style bread just out of the oven and never suffer any ill effects.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back