Antiabortion movement seeks to jail people for ‘trafficking’ illegal pills

People have gone to jail in Minnesota for having marijuana shipped to their homes. federal or not. How is this different?
Yes, because the mail was legally searched under a warrant. It is different in that - where would they get the probable cause to support the warrant? They can't randomly open mail.

Are you advocating the commission of a crime by violating state laws?

Classy, dude.
it's a federally approved drug delivered by the federal mail system.

I doubt Texas law can usurp the fed..... Though I do believe there is a case on this working its way through the courts or about to do such..... Soooo, we will see....

No. I am saying enforcement is demonstrably unfeasible.

Yes starting 12/16.

So should we not enforce the laws regarding shipping illegal drugs through to mail too? It would seem to me that using the United States Postal Service to violate state laws, would be something the federal government would need to deal with.

So should we not enforce the laws regarding shipping illegal drugs through to mail too? It would seem to me that using the United States Postal Service to violate state laws, would be something the federal government would need to deal with.
Thats not how it works. Again, the police need a valid warrant to search your mail (not your trash though).
The Fourth Amendment, on the other hand, only protects people against “unreasonable” searches. “Reasonable” searches can trump Fourth Amendment privacy concerns. In general, the police require two elements before invading a person’s legitimate expectation of privacy:

• Probable cause
  • A judge-issued search warrant that describes the scope of the search.
How are they going to get probable cause?

Going after the pill shipper is difficult as, again, they are typically coming out of states or other countries where that is not illegal. Indeed, some states have put in place shield laws protecting them and doctors from out of state attack.

it's a federally approved drug delivered by the federal mail system.

I doubt Texas law can usurp the fed..... Though I do believe there is a case on this working its way through the courts or about to do such..... Soooo, we will see....

States can and they will. Some state legislatures are convening and you can expect more proposed bans on medication abortion care, as well as efforts to prohibit the mailing of medication abortion pills. The National Right to Life and other anti-abortion advocates are also eyeing ways to prevent abortion pills from crossing over state borders to states with abortion bans.

Even though abortion drugs are regulated by the FDA, the question is whether FDA approval of abortion drugs conflict with state laws. And the truth is, federal law is presumed not to preempt the state's powers, including regulation of the medical profession and restricting or prohibiting abortion.

As of July 2022, 33 states allowed only physicians to prescribe abortion drugs, and 19 of these states also required that abortion drugs be dispensed in person rather than delivered through the mail. Two states prohibit chemical abortions directly: Texas at seven weeks and Indiana at 10 weeks. As the Congressional Research Service notes, “a state’s ability to restrict or prohibit access to these drugs may solely depend on the interplay between state and federal law.”

Within hours of the Supreme Court’s overruling of Roe and Casey, Attorney General Merrick Garland issued a statement disagreeing with the decision, asserting that “the FDA has approved the use of the medication Mifepristone. States may not ban Mifepristone based on disagreement with the FDA’s expert judgment about its safety and efficacy.” His statement, however, suggested that states may restrict or even ban abortion drugs based on other justifications or authority."

States May Restrict Abortion Drugs

end of thread.

Good luck with that. You can ban them but they will still be shipped from out of state to individuals. What are you going to do then?

Good luck with that. You can ban them but they will still be shipped from out of state to individuals. What are you going to do then?

The same thing as people who violate state bans on high capacity magazines, certain gun parts, certain types of ammunition and certain firearms accessories. I bet you didn't know that depending on your state's laws, you could be arrested for purchasing those banned items. So naturally, sellers refuse to ship those items to the states that have those bans.

And of course, the person who illegally-purchases the abortion drugs through the mail from another states, would be fined or arrested.

Life's a bitch, ain't it? :21:

The same thing as people who violate state bans on high capacity magazines, certain gun parts, certain types of ammunition and certain firearms accessories. I bet you didn't know that depending on your state's laws, you could be arrested for purchasing those banned items. So naturally, sellers refuse to ship those items to the states that have those bans.

And of course, the person who illegally-purchases the abortion drugs through the mail from another states, would be fined or arrested.

Life's a bitch, ain't it? :21:
You want to arrest women now? How would you know they were getting the pills? Where are they going to have their babies? In jail?

You want to arrest women now? How would you know they were getting the pills? Where are they going to have their babies? In jail?

Does any of that matter? Get your ass caught with a 30-round AR-15 magazine in Washington DC, and see what happens to you.

"Oh. I didn't know they were illegal, officer." :laughing0301:

Does any of that matter? Get your ass caught with a 30-round AR-15 magazine in Washington DC, and see what happens to you.

:laughing0301:
No thanks I am a Texan. However, that doesn't answer the question. How is this going to work? Do you intend to randomly stop and frisk women for abortion pills?

No thanks I am a Texan. However, that doesn't answer the question. How is this going to work? Do you intend to randomly stop and frisk women for abortion pills?

No idea. But "no person in the District shall possess, sell, or transfer any large capacity ammunition feeding device regardless of whether the device is attached to a firearm. A “large capacity ammunition feeding device” means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition."

"Upon conviction, be fined not more than $1,000 or be imprisoned for not more than one year, or both."

The law is the law, even for those individuals who were arrested on January 6, for possession of a high capacity magazine. Are you saying it's ok to pick and choose which laws you want to follow?

Maybe those people who want to ban abortions should want to provide federal help for expectant mothers.

Pregnant women already receive considerable state and local benefits.

Right wing Republicans are the vermin in this country.

patrick-bateman-smile.gif

Forum List

Back