Anti-Defamation League Redefines Racism

Deplorable Yankee

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2019
DIXIE
Jan312022

Under liberal rule, we are told we are racists, and that this is the worst thing imaginable, by people whose worldview is quintessentially racist. Even some progressives may have enough self-awareness to feel squeamish about denouncing dissidents as racist while imposing an ideology centered on worship of blacks and hatred of whites. No matter; as their endless subtractions from the Newspeak Dictionary prove, leftists control the language.
The social justice warriors of the Anti-Defamation League are changing the definition of “racism” so as to exculpate racists like themselves. Their new definition of racism:
Racism: The marginalization and/or oppression of people of color based on a socially constructed racial hierarchy that privileges white people.

Racism isn’t racism; racism is what evil white people do.

Not even low-IQ race hustler Ibram X. Kendi could come up with a more preposterous definition. His definition of racism takes the circular route: “a collection of racist policies that lead to racial inequity that are substantiated by racist ideas.”
Expect Merriam-Webster to adopt the ADL definition soon.
A passage from Lewis Carroll comes to mind:
“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.”
“The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.”
“The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master — that’s all.”
That was before the word “master” was excised from the Newspeak Dictionary.
On tips from Mr. Freemarket and Gringoman.

All links are highlighted and wayciss.bix nood!

White man gotta go so humanity can return to their dung huts, teepee,....and South American slums .
Peace and tranquility will reign along side mother nature !
You'll want for nothing you'll own nothing and like it

Think you'll avoid the boxcar White normie?

OIP.uc7eb4bnpiY09WCThSIazAHaD4

I see OP got the information off of "Moon Battery".

Why the Hell should I trust anything off of "Moon Battery?"

Are you stupid?

. . .

Sorry, I got carried away.

Jan312022

Under liberal rule, we are told we are racists, and that this is the worst thing imaginable, by people whose worldview is quintessentially racist. Even some progressives may have enough self-awareness to feel squeamish about denouncing dissidents as racist while imposing an ideology centered on worship of blacks and hatred of whites. No matter; as their endless subtractions from the Newspeak Dictionary prove, leftists control the language.
The social justice warriors of the Anti-Defamation League are changing the definition of “racism” so as to exculpate racists like themselves. Their new definition of racism:

Not even low-IQ race hustler Ibram X. Kendi could come up with a more preposterous definition. His definition of racism takes the circular route: “a collection of racist policies that lead to racial inequity that are substantiated by racist ideas.”

White man gotta go so humanity can return to their dung huts, teepee,....and South American slums .

The ADL is about as useful as the ACLU.

Jan312022

I understand that this update was done in July, 2020 and I wonder why it is just now becoming such an issue. They, as an organization stated how they believe racism can be defined.
According to the ADL, racism can be defined as "The marginalization and/or oppression of people of color based on a socially constructed racial hierarchy that privileges white people."

I see it like this: The word queer used to have one definition and now has a very different one. The word weed used to mean only one thing, now also means another. As the world changes, grows and evolves, definitions can also change. That being said, here’s what the Merriam-Webster website has as it’s official definition. It has not changed since the ADL change. “Does their definition also make people angry?” I wonder.

Definition of racism

1:
a belief that race is a fundamental determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

2a: the systemic oppression of a racial group to the social, economic, and political advantage of another.

2b: a political or social system founded on racism and designed to execute its principles.

The History and Dictionary Meanings of Racism and Racist: Usage Guide

Racism and racist appear to be words of recent origin, with no citations currently known that would suggest these words were in use prior to the early 20th century. But the fact that the words are fairly new does not prove that the concept of racism did not exist in the distant past. Things may have words to describe them before they exist (spaceship, for instance, has been in use since the 19th century, well before the rocket-fired vessels were invented), and things may exist for a considerable time before they are given names (T-shirt does not appear in print until the 20th century, although the article of clothing existed prior to 1900).

Dictionaries are often treated as the final arbiter in arguments over a word's meaning, but they are not always well suited for settling disputes. The lexicographer's role is to explain how words are (or have been) actually used, not how some may feel that they should be used, and they say nothing about the intrinsic nature of the thing named or described by a word, much less the significance it may have for individuals. When discussing concepts like racism, therefore, it is prudent to recognize that quoting from a dictionary is unlikely to either mollify or persuade the person with whom one is arguing.

As far as you calling Ibram X. Kendi, low-IQ, maybe you should read his bio: Here's part of it:

Dr. Kendi attended Florida A&M University, where he majored in journalism.

After working for a time at The Virginian Pilot, Dr. Kendi pursued his graduate studies. At 27 years old, he earned his doctoral degree in African American Studies from Temple University in 2010. Kendi has taught at SUNY Oneonta, SUNY Albany, the University of Florida, and American University. In 2017, he became a full professor, the highest professorial rank, at 34 years old. In 2020, Boston University awarded him an endowed professorship, the highest academic award a University can bestow on a faculty member. BU’s endowed Andrew W. Mellon Professorship has been held by only one other person in the University’s history: Elie Wiesel, the late Holocaust survivor and 1986 Nobel Peace Prize laureate who fought for decades for human rights around the world and who died in 2016.

Dr. Kendi has been visiting professor at Brown University, a 2013 National Academy of Education/Spencer Postdoctoral Fellow, and postdoctoral fellow at the Rutgers Center for Historical Analysis.

On June 1, 2020, the ADL’s definition of racism was one that most Americans would agree with:

Racism is the belief that a particular race is superior or inferior to another, that a person’s social and moral traits are predetermined by his or her inborn biological characteristics. Racial separatism is the belief, most of the time based on racism, that different races should remain segregated and apart from one another.

But by September 2020, after a summer of violence and looting brought about by Black Lives Matter and Antifa, the old definition of racism was removed.

In its place came a much shorter definition, more in line with the dictates of far-left critical race theory, that defines racism as the oppression of “people of color” by white people.

The marginalization and/or oppression of people of color based on a socially constructed racial hierarchy that privileges white people.

The ADL’s previous definition would have (correctly, in the view of many Americans) defined far-left critical race theory as racist, because it suggests that “a person’s social and moral traits are predetermined” — that white people are, due to their inborn characteristics, privileged and oppressive.

The new definition adopts that very same argument, making the ADL racist by its own previous definition of the word.

IMHO, racism and discrimination should not be restricted to be for or against any particular race, ethnicity, religions, or any other discriminator. The ADL, of all people should have held fast to their original definition. Once again integrity falls victim to politics.

On June 1, 2020, the ADL’s definition of racism was one that most Americans would agree with:

Racism is the belief that a particular race is superior or inferior to another, that a person’s social and moral traits are predetermined by his or her inborn biological characteristics. Racial separatism is the belief, most of the time based on racism, that different races should remain segregated and apart from one another.

But by September 2020, after a summer of violence and looting brought about by Black Lives Matter and Antifa, the old definition of racism was removed.

In its place came a much shorter definition, more in line with the dictates of far-left critical race theory, that defines racism as the oppression of “people of color” by white people.

The marginalization and/or oppression of people of color based on a socially constructed racial hierarchy that privileges white people.

The ADL’s previous definition would have (correctly, in the view of many Americans) defined far-left critical race theory as racist, because it suggests that “a person’s social and moral traits are predetermined” — that white people are, due to their inborn characteristics, privileged and oppressive.

The new definition adopts that very same argument, making the ADL racist by its own previous definition of the word.

IMHO, racism and discrimination should not be restricted to be for or against any particular race, ethnicity, religions, or any other discriminator. The ADL, of all people should have held fast to their original definition. Once again integrity falls victim to politics.
In my reading about CRT I haven't seen that particular definition of racism. What I don't quite get is why CRT has become such a hot-button issue when it has been taught in colleges and universities for many years. Young people in college are capable of thinking for themselves and deciding after they have been taught a certain theory, whether they find it true or untrue. They can decide for themselves if they agree with the theory or object to it. They can debate it and research it. Things are presented as theories because there will be other theories that contradict them. Why do we get so bent out of shape when people are given choices and differences of opinion?

In my reading about CRT I haven't seen that particular definition of racism. What I don't quite get is why CRT has become such a hot-button issue when it has been taught in colleges and universities for many years. Young people in college are capable of thinking for themselves and deciding after they have been taught a certain theory, whether they find it true or untrue. They can decide for themselves if they agree with the theory or object to it. They can debate it and research it. Things are presented as theories because there will be other theories that contradict them. Why do we get so bent out of shape when people are given choices and differences of opinion?
That definition is from the ADL, as noted in my link in the OP.

I didn't know CRT has been taught for many years in colleges and universities, but what I'm concerned about is in high school or maybe jr high. It's one thing to define and explain what it is, but it's another to attempt to convince kids that CRT is true. We should be teaching kids how to think, not what to think.

That definition is from the ADL, as noted in my link in the OP.

I didn't know CRT has been taught for many years in colleges and universities, but what I'm concerned about is in high school or maybe jr high. It's one thing to define and explain what it is, but it's another to attempt to convince kids that CRT is true. We should be teaching kids how to think, not what to think.
Agree that we should be teaching kids how to think for themselves and that's why CRT is not taught in High School or Jr. High, as far as I've seen. Plus, like the theory of evolution is taught in high schools, teachers are supposed to teach it as a theory and not try to convince kids that it's true.

I know a kid who told me that his high school teacher told him that if his parents believed in the Biblical story of creation, they were wrong and that he also should not believe them. I don't think that's a teacher's place. But now that I think about this, parents are supposedly discussing matters with their children and giving them their perspective while encouraging them to decide for themselves as they get older and get exposed to various teachings.

I understand that this update was done in July, 2020 and I wonder why it is just now becoming such an issue. They, as an organization stated how they believe racism can be defined.
According to the ADL, racism can be defined as "The marginalization and/or oppression of people of color based on a socially constructed racial hierarchy that privileges white people."

I see it like this: The word queer used to have one definition and now has a very different one. The word weed used to mean only one thing, now also means another. As the world changes, grows and evolves, definitions can also change. That being said, here’s what the Merriam-Webster website has as it’s official definition. It has not changed since the ADL change. “Does their definition also make people angry?” I wonder.

Definition of racism

1:
a belief that race is a fundamental determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

2a: the systemic oppression of a racial group to the social, economic, and political advantage of another.

2b: a political or social system founded on racism and designed to execute its principles.

The History and Dictionary Meanings of Racism and Racist: Usage Guide

Racism and racist appear to be words of recent origin, with no citations currently known that would suggest these words were in use prior to the early 20th century. But the fact that the words are fairly new does not prove that the concept of racism did not exist in the distant past. Things may have words to describe them before they exist (spaceship, for instance, has been in use since the 19th century, well before the rocket-fired vessels were invented), and things may exist for a considerable time before they are given names (T-shirt does not appear in print until the 20th century, although the article of clothing existed prior to 1900).

Dictionaries are often treated as the final arbiter in arguments over a word's meaning, but they are not always well suited for settling disputes. The lexicographer's role is to explain how words are (or have been) actually used, not how some may feel that they should be used, and they say nothing about the intrinsic nature of the thing named or described by a word, much less the significance it may have for individuals. When discussing concepts like racism, therefore, it is prudent to recognize that quoting from a dictionary is unlikely to either mollify or persuade the person with whom one is arguing.

As far as you calling Ibram X. Kendi, low-IQ, maybe you should read his bio: Here's part of it:

Dr. Kendi attended Florida A&M University, where he majored in journalism.

After working for a time at The Virginian Pilot, Dr. Kendi pursued his graduate studies. At 27 years old, he earned his doctoral degree in African American Studies from Temple University in 2010. Kendi has taught at SUNY Oneonta, SUNY Albany, the University of Florida, and American University. In 2017, he became a full professor, the highest professorial rank, at 34 years old. In 2020, Boston University awarded him an endowed professorship, the highest academic award a University can bestow on a faculty member. BU’s endowed Andrew W. Mellon Professorship has been held by only one other person in the University’s history: Elie Wiesel, the late Holocaust survivor and 1986 Nobel Peace Prize laureate who fought for decades for human rights around the world and who died in 2016.

Dr. Kendi has been visiting professor at Brown University, a 2013 National Academy of Education/Spencer Postdoctoral Fellow, and postdoctoral fellow at the Rutgers Center for Historical Analysis.

Bottom line: do you believe that racism only exists against people of color? A white person might be a racist but a black person can't? We're talking about the ADL, the Anti Defamation League. Are we to assume that as far as the ADL is concerned under their current definition that a white person cannot be defamed? The ADL is not a gov't agency and they can do what they want, but they are also subject to criticism for their decisions, just like everybody else.

Bottom line: do you believe that racism only exists against people of color? A white person might be a racist but a black person can't? We're talking about the ADL, the Anti Defamation League. Are we to assume that as far as the ADL is concerned under their current definition that a white person cannot be defamed? The ADL is not a gov't agency and they can do what they want, but they are also subject to criticism for their decisions, just like everybody else.
I have thought about this many times before. I believe that the kind of systemic racism which disenfranchises an entire group of people has historically been on the white side. I believe that black folks can have prejudices and personal biases based on the personal experiences which have developed for many years because of the way so many of them have been treated. Didn't Maya Angelou say that when someone shows you who they are, believe them? I do not believe that black folks have ever been given the control over the systems and institutions in this country that so often seek to eliminate them from its prosperity. So, yeah, whites have taken racism to a level that other folks could never reach, even if it was in their hearts to do so.

I remember hearing that Frederick Douglass addressed how scared white slaveholders were of freed black men. They were afraid that they would turn on them and treat them the same terrible way they had been treated. Frederick Douglass basically said that were positions reversed he would invite the white man to dinner and show him how a gentleman really behaves.

I like that short definition of racism. One minor point: "privilege" is not, and never will be, a verb. Better word might be "exalts."

The more interesting questions might be, what are the factors that have resulted in so many contemporary Blacks in such a wretched economic and social status? That is where the real debate lies today. If you have a demographic group of which 75% or so are born outside a traditional family, what would one expect?

In our culture, "nobody" likes jews (other than other jews), and yet they thrive. Nobody likes Asians. And yet they thrive. Nobody likes Africans (from the Islands and from Africa), and yet they do quite well. Why isn't racism or cultural bigotry (w/r/t jews) holding them down? The obvious reason is because those groups buy in to middle-class values. They value education, entrepreneurship, hard work, and thrift. They shun substance abuse, petty crime, and bastardy.

So what percentage of the Black plight (statistically speaking) is attributable to racism, and what percentage is attributable to Blacks' refusal to get with the Program? Isn't that what it's all about?

I like that short definition of racism. One minor point: "privilege" is not, and never will be, a verb. Better word might be "exalts."

The more interesting questions might be, what are the factors that have resulted in so many contemporary Blacks in such a wretched economic and social status? That is where the real debate lies today. If you have a demographic group of which 75% or so are born outside a traditional family, what would one expect?

In our culture, "nobody" likes jews (other than other jews), and yet they thrive. Nobody likes Asians. And yet they thrive. Nobody likes Africans (from the Islands and from Africa), and yet they do quite well. Why isn't racism or cultural bigotry (w/r/t jews) holding them down? The obvious reason is because those groups buy in to middle-class values. They value education, entrepreneurship, hard work, and thrift. They shun substance abuse, petty crime, and bastardy.

So what percentage of the Black plight (statistically speaking) is attributable to racism, and what percentage is attributable to Blacks' refusal to get with the Program? Isn't that what it's all about?
Just why is it that whites get to make other folks get with their program and demand other groups of people assimilate into their culture and way of thinking? And, while a lot of what you say is true about other groups being disliked by whites for whatever reason they so choose, I do not believe that these other groups were literally taken from their homeland and enslaved. Africans were separated from those in their own tribes so they could not communicate with one another and band together against their slaveholders. Families were separated and sold. Slaves were pitted against each other, darker skinned against lighter skinned, older against younger, male against female, field hand against house slave so that they would not band together against their slaveholders.

I know, you will say that was long ago. But the effects of slavery are long-term and psychologically damaging for many, many years. And I believe, it is difficult when black people see they are still hated and assumed criminal even when they did "get with the program." I have read many articles about black folks, who were celebrities being stopped by cops for no apparent reason. One very famous black celebrity was at an after party and a white woman asked her to fill her plate, assuming she was a waitress. And here's some others:

Idris Elba​

Last year, the actor expressed his disappointment over the racist backlash he endured when rumors emerged he could one day replace Daniel Craig as James Bond. Speaking to Vanity Fair, he said: "You just get disheartened, when you get people from a generational point of view going, 'It can't be.' And it really turns out to be the color of my skin. And then if I get it and it didn’t work, or it did work, would it be because of the color of my skin? That's a difficult position to put myself into when I don’t need to."

Michelle Obama
She became the first black First Lady of the United States, who has since empowered countless women to fight for their rights. But during her time in the White House, Michelle has revealed she sadly endured racist remarks. Speaking at the Women's Foundation of Colorado's 30th anniversary celebration in Denver back in 2017, the mother-of-two said she was called an "ape in heels" and was told she had a "gorilla face" by government officials.

According to Denver Post, she revealed: "The shards that cut me the deepest were the ones that intended to cut. Knowing that after eight years of working really hard for this country, there are still people who won't see me for what I am because of my skin color." She added: "Women, we endure those cuts in so many ways that we don't even notice we're cut. We are living with small tiny cuts, and we are bleeding every single day. And we're still getting up."

Then, there's this. I think white folks in the U.S. send very contradictory messages to black people. While they "dislike" them, as you say, they also cheer for black athletes, steal and dance to black music, dress like the boys in the hood, flock to black movies about gangsters and admire beautiful black women in the movies. But all the while, keeping the distance, not getting too close, and definitely not embracing them. I wonder, what would make folks want to get with the program of people who dislike them?

Forum List

Back