Antarctic ice shelf melt 'lowest EVER recorded

I see Rasmussen is still Rasmussen.

97% of climate scientists and 97% of their published, peer reviewed work, accept AGW as valid.

So... whose opinion do we take on an issue of complex science for which the fossil fuel industry has been engaging in a large, well funded and extensive disinformation campaign? Let me see.......

I see Rasmussen is still Rasmussen.

97% of climate scientists and 97% of their published, peer reviewed work, accept AGW as valid.

So... whose opinion do we take on an issue of complex science for which the fossil fuel industry has been engaging in a large, well funded and extensive disinformation campaign? Let me see.......

Money paid to believers is 3500 times larger than that paid to skeptics (from all sources). Nearly all climate scientists rely to one degree or another on government grants. What does a study of 20 years of abstracts tell us about the global climate? Nothing. But it says quite a lot about the way government funding influences the scientific process...New paper confounds climate research with financial forces, is based on the wrong assumptions, uses fallacious reasoning, wasn’t independent, and confuses a consensus of climate scientists for a scientific consensus, not that a consensus proves anything anyway, if it existed. Given the monopolistic funding of climate science in the last 20 years, the results he finds are entirely predictable' -- 'The number of papers is a proxy for funding': 'As government funding grew, scientists redirected their work to study areas that attracted grants. It’s no conspiracy, just Adam Smith at work. There was no funding for skeptical scientists to question the IPCC or the theory that man-made climate science exaggerates the warming. More than $79 billion was poured into climate science research and technology from 1989 to 2009. No wonder scientists issued repetitive, irrelevant, and weak results. How hard could it be? Taxpayers even paid for research on climate resistant oysters. Let no barnacle be unturned'

climate-funding-US-govt-spending-web.jpg

Renewable energy is a $250 billion dollar industry that makes about 3% of our electricity.

Suckers.

All of this only has some significance if you first, without cause, assume that AGW is invalid. A great deal more is spent on fighting germs than combatting demons. The winning side gets the spoils. AGW is accepted mainstream science and global warming is recognized as a threat to which a response is required.

This doesn't mean you're some suppressed minority view. It just means you're the minority view. It means that in the eyes of the rest of the world, you're simply wrong. Why would we spend money on wrong ideas?

Antarctic ice shelf melt 'lowest EVER recorded
Antarctic ice shelf melt 'lowest EVER recorded, global warming is NOT eroding it' ? The Register
Antarctic ice shelf melt 'lowest EVER recorded, global warming is NOT eroding it'
Human CO2 just not a big deal at Pine Island Glacier
By Lewis Page, 3rd January 2014

Nice spin from that denier cult reporter but the article is completely meaningless in regard to overall global warming, in spite of your gullible 'grasping at straws' delusions about its meaning, ToiletBowl. Other newspapers and news sources carried a less biased version of the story.

Antarctica's Pine Island Glacier influenced by La Nina
Weather and climate anomalies may have more sway of sea ice melt than scientists anticipated, complicating their climate models.

Mother Nature Network
By Laura Poppick, Staff Writer
Jan 03 2014
(excerpts)
Though typically thought of as a tropical climate pattern, the influence of La Niña (the cold counterpart to El Niño) spreads as far as Antarctica, significantly slowing the melting rate of one of the continent's largest glaciers, according to a new study. Pine Island Glacier, which makes up about 10 percent of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet, empties into the Amundsen Sea. The glacier's ice shelf (the part of it that floats atop the water and acts kind of like a doorstop to the rest of the glacier) has been thinning since at least the 1970s, when scientists first started recording its behavior. This thinning causes the glacier to flow more quickly toward the sea, and the faster flow drives the thinning of the rest of the glacier. The melting appears to originate from below, as relatively warm ocean water trickles through a gap between the base of the glacier and the land it rests on, lubricating the river of ice and pushing it seaward, where it periodically disintegrates into icebergs (a natural process known as calving). Researchers previously believed that this disintegration has occurred steadily over time, in concert with steadily increasing average global atmospheric and oceanic temperatures. But new analyses from a team of researchers with the British Antarctic Survey shows that the glacier is more sensitive to sporadic weather and climate anomalies, such as La Niña events, than previously thought. During a La Niña event, cold-water masses extend up the coast of South America and into the central equatorial Pacific. (During an El Niño event, warmer-than-average waters predominate.) Eventually, the cold water gets pulled into a water mass known as the Circumpolar Deep Water, which sweeps by the continental shelf nearby Pine Island Glacier.

"This enormous, and unexpected, variability contradicts the widespread view that a simple and steady ocean warming in the region is eroding the West Antarctic Ice Sheet," study co-author Pierre Dutrieux, of the British Antarctic Survey, said in a statement. The researchers were surprised to find that the glacier was so vulnerable to these short-term climate anomalies. "It is not so much the ocean variability, which is modest by comparison with many parts of the ocean, but the extreme sensitivity of the ice shelf to such modest changes in ocean properties that took us by surprise," study co-author Adrian Jenkins, also from the British Antarctic Survey, said in a statement. As Pine Island Glacier melts, it contributes to global sea level rise, which could reach 10 to 16 feet (3 to 5 meters) above current levels if the entire West Antarctic Ice Sheet were to melt. The researchers say that if these La Niña events were to occur more frequently in the future, the glacial melting rate would slow down substantially and rising sea levels could subside. However, the scientists say they have no evidence suggesting this will be the case, and they expect the glacier to continue melting and disintegrating through the rest of the century.

Frank, you may have noticed that I don't often respond to your posts. That's because you're one of the first people here that I put on my ignore list. Occasionally, I run out of other people's posts to reply to and will open one of yours. But, almost without fail, I find that my initial choice was the correct one.

I'm so hurt.

Frank, you may have noticed that I don't often respond to your posts. That's because you're one of the first people here that I put on my ignore list. Occasionally, I run out of other people's posts to reply to and will open one of yours. But, almost without fail, I find that my initial choice was the correct one.

I'm so hurt.

Yeah, the truth hurts. But I'm sure you're too retarded to actually comprehend the fact that all of your posts put together aren't even worth a pile of moldy cat shit, CrazyFruitcake.

Oh, also, I never noticed if you respond or not to me, but now that I know I will try to forget it as soon as possible

I'm so hurt.

Yeah, the truth hurts. But I'm sure you're too retarded to actually comprehend the fact that all of your posts put together aren't even worth a pile of moldy cat shit, CrazyFruitcake.

Tell me again how 70 degrees below zero is evidence of "Global Warming"

I'm so hurt.

Thanks for so quickly demonstrating my point about the vacuity of your worthless posts, CrazyFruitcake. That's a really insane 'straw-man' you're trying to push there, and therefore very typical of your braindead posts.

Thanks for so quickly demonstrating my point about the vacuity of your worthless posts, CrazyFruitcake. That's a really insane 'straw-man' you're trying to push there, and therefore very typical of your braindead posts.

You have now nosed ahead as the stupidest of all liberals. Since every liberal is dumber than dirt (I mean to vote for any democrat at all is stupid enough, but to actually believe and actually defend anything from Obama gives every fucking liberal like you a whole new classification of stupidity that has not been identified as of yet), that makes you the lord of the idiots.

Do you actually think any of us believe you pay any of your own bills?

You have now nosed ahead as the stupidest of all liberals. Since every liberal is dumber than dirt (I mean to vote for any democrat at all is stupid enough, but to actually believe and actually defend anything from Obama gives every fucking liberal like you a whole new classification of stupidity that has not been identified as of yet), that makes you the lord of the idiots.

Do you actually think any of us believe you pay any of your own bills?

In other words, you equate knowledge of science with being a liberal. And, since you detest liberals, you are going to remain the dumb shit you are. :lol:

I'm sure you're on quite a few people's ignore because most of your posting are just like this one

snooty and rude

Last edited:
I don't seem to be on yours.

Was I being snooty and rude when I patiently and at some length explained 'stuff' to you yesterday?

Hmm... that may have been Elektra. I wrote a lot of posts here yesterday and the search function is damn near useless.

Last edited:

70 below zero = Global Warming

And you believe it

70 below zero = Global Warming

What exactly do you hallucinate that cold temperatures in Antarctica has to do with global warming, CrazyFruitcake?

Global warming manifests in many ways but this is certainly one of them. And, BTW, 2013 is now the 4th warmest year on record so they'll have to revise this list.

10 warmest years on record

...As is this...

Fig.A2.gif

Global Annual Mean Surface Air Temperature Change - Line plot of global mean land-ocean temperature index, 1880 to present, with the base period 1951-1980. The dotted black line is the annual mean and the solid red line is the five-year mean. The green bars show uncertainty estimates.

Last edited:
You have now nosed ahead as the stupidest of all liberals.

Why are you even pretending this isn't entirely about your slavish loyalty to your political cult? It's not like you're fooling anyone.

Almost all the denialists here focus on crybaby political shrieking. In contrast, none of the rational people talk about politics. We talk about data. That's because AGW science is actual science, while denialism is a political cult.

Forum List

Back