Another layer of administration added my school district.

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas
So the civilians on here are no doubt familiar with principles and assistant principals. From their own time in school. And they are probably aware of District administration which consists of superintendents and assistance superintendents and their staffs. Not sure if those administrators and their staff out number actual student facing teachers, or not. But in the military the tail to tooth ratio is shockingly high, so I wouldn't be surprised.

You may not be aware, because I was not until I became a teacher, that along with the principal and a couple of assistant principles there are also teacher leaders for each subject area, they are sometimes called lead teachers, in my district they are called Department chairs.

Their role is basically as a conduit of information between the district Math Department for example and the school's Math teachers, and they advise the principal before the principal announces policies that might affect their department. They also Mentor new teachers and try to settle any conflicts between teachers within their departments before it escalates to the principals.

It is theoretically an administrative position but Department Chairs are straw bosses, meaning they must teach a full load along with the extra duty of chairing the Department. They typically get teacher pay plus a stipend for being Department chair.

Now in many districts, there is a new position called instructional coach. Their job is to make sure that English is taught at West Junior High East Junior High North Junior High and South Junior High exactly as The English Department has determined English must be taught. In other words they are here to make sure we don't deviate from the standardized methods of teaching our subjects. They help with lesson plans, and observe teachers as they teach to make sure there is no deviation.

This also is a stipend position. However, instructional coaches only teach two periods a day and have four planning periods as instructional coaches. This means they lose three out of five opportunities to teach a class. So essentially at each campus four teachers lose 60% of instructional time.

To make up far that districts have two options, as far as I know: they can hire an additional teacher, or they can make the classes larger. The problem with hiring an additional teacher is that many districts budgets are strained already. Another problem is that there is a teacher shortage so you wind up scraping the bottom of the barrel to get that extra teacher.

My district opted to hire more teachers and keep teacher salaries low instead of giving us raises and the hazard pay stipends we had been getting during and immediately after covid. The extra English teacher turned out to be a dud almost immediately, and my principal opted to absorb her classes, meaning classes got larger.

All this is probably boring any non-teacher to tears, but I wonder what the other teachers on here think. Have y'all experienced this, SweetSue92, Unkotare and any other teacher?

So the civilians on here are no doubt familiar with principles and assistant principals. From their own time in school. And they are probably aware of District administration which consists of superintendents and assistance superintendents and their staffs. Not sure if those administrators and their staff out number actual student facing teachers, or not. But in the military the tail to tooth ratio is shockingly high, so I wouldn't be surprised.

You may not be aware, because I was not until I became a teacher, that along with the principal and a couple of assistant principles there are also teacher leaders for each subject area, they are sometimes called lead teachers, in my district they are called Department chairs.

Their role is basically as a conduit of information between the district Math Department for example and the school's Math teachers, and they advise the principal before the principal announces policies that might affect their department. They also Mentor new teachers and try to settle any conflicts between teachers within their departments before it escalates to the principals.

It is theoretically an administrative position but Department Chairs are straw bosses, meaning they must teach a full load along with the extra duty of chairing the Department. They typically get teacher pay plus a stipend for being Department chair.

Now in many districts, there is a new position called instructional coach. Their job is to make sure that English is taught at West Junior High East Junior High North Junior High and South Junior High exactly as The English Department has determined English must be taught. In other words they are here to make sure we don't deviate from the standardized methods of teaching our subjects. They help with lesson plans, and observe teachers as they teach to make sure there is no deviation.

This also is a stipend position. However, instructional coaches only teach two periods a day and have four planning periods as instructional coaches. This means they lose three out of five opportunities to teach a class. So essentially at each campus four teachers lose 60% of instructional time.

To make up far that districts have two options, as far as I know: they can hire an additional teacher, or they can make the classes larger. The problem with hiring an additional teacher is that many districts budgets are strained already. Another problem is that there is a teacher shortage so you wind up scraping the bottom of the barrel to get that extra teacher.

My district opted to hire more teachers and keep teacher salaries low instead of giving us raises and the hazard pay stipends we had been getting during and immediately after covid. The extra English teacher turned out to be a dud almost immediately, and my principal opted to absorb her classes, meaning classes got larger.

All this is probably boring any non-teacher to tears, but I wonder what the other teachers on here think. Have y'all experienced this, SweetSue92, Unkotare and any other teacher?
I find it hard to believe that a teacher does not know the difference between "principal" and "principles". That tells me all I need to know about your qualifications.

I find it hard to believe that a teacher does not know the difference between "principal" and "principles". That tells me all I need to know about your qualifications.
Thanks, Admiral!

I do know the difference, but speech to text does not. I used to stress out about that, and proofread all my posts very carefully.

But now I know that life's to short to worry that some grumpy old man will rejoice in catching a teacher in a spelling error when he still has test anxiety nightmares because he flunked all of his spelling quizes in fourth grade.

Thanks, Admiral!

I do know the difference, but speech to text does not. I used to stress out about that, and proofread all my posts very carefully.

But now I know that life's to short to worry that some grumpy old man will rejoice in catching a teacher in a spelling error when he still has test anxiety nightmares because he flunked all of his spelling quizes in fourth grade.
Just FYI, I NEVER failed a spelling test, not that it matters. As a former assistant PRINCIPAL, it is one of my pet peeves.

Just FYI, I NEVER failed a spelling test, not that it matters. As a former assistant PRINCIPAL, it is one of my pet peeves.
You're like the kid in the sandbox whose sand castles always look like crap, so he specializes in kicking other kids' more worthy creations.

Apparently you have nothing I need to know on any topic. Goodbye!
Ok, I'll tell you.

I post a well thought out OP of interest to teachers. 500 words or so on the topic. Something you would not be capable of. So you make a childish snark about spelling instead of addressing the issue it discusses.

Maybe you're pissed that I did not include you when I asked for comments from teachers such as unkatare and SweetSue. I know they really are teachers, because they post like teachers and I respect their opinions even when I disagree with them.

You only seem to mention that you "were an assistant principal," when you want to argue from authority. I'm not saying that you were not an AP, but I have no reason to think that you were, is all.

Yes, instructional coaches are new in my district, and apparently our test scores are up as a result of them. So they are here to stay. What's a sad mark is that the rush to get OUT of the classroom and INTO these non-teaching positions was excessive. A teacher who formerly won "teacher of the year" in our large district is a coach now and has said if she had to be back in the classroom she would retire.

Your other linked poster here will insult and name-call me, and now probably you, for not singing how wonderful education is atm. Oh, while he refers to former high school girls as "fat cows".

Yes, instructional coaches are new in my district, and apparently our test scores are up as a result of them. So they are here to stay. What's a sad mark is that the rush to get OUT of the classroom and INTO these non-teaching positions was excessive. A teacher who formerly won "teacher of the year" in our large district is a coach now and has said if she had to be back in the classroom she would retire.

Your other linked poster here will insult and name-call me, and now probably you, for not singing how wonderful education is atm. Oh, while he refers to former high school girls as "fat cows".

As an addendum to this: our princiPAL (for you, Admiral Rockwell Tory ) recently opened a mtg with a question that revealed how exhausted most of us are. When a small group of us later questioned him, he seemed not even to take it in.

I've been at this for thirty years. Two states, three districts, 12 different schools, and at least 20 administrators I have worked for in that time. I have never seen this kind of strain on the profession.

Yes, that is another problem. Not only are they pulling a teacher out of the classroom for three periods, they are pulling one of the better teachers. Makes sense, you're not going to have a poor teacher teach other teachers, but it's a loss for the kids.

When we started with the IC's last year, three of the them were very good classroom teachers on our campus and one was the son of the district official in charge of curriculum sent to us from another campus. He was OK the first year, but this year he has been coming up with new and time-consuming ideas not just for his department but for the whole campus. The Perns'ple (bite me Admiral Rockwell Tory) goes along with whatever he says lest he give a bad report to mamma.

As an addendum to this: our princiPAL (for you, Admiral Rockwell Tory ) recently opened a mtg with a question that revealed how exhausted most of us are. When a small group of us later questioned him, he seemed not even to take it in.

I've been at this for thirty years. Two states, three districts, 12 different schools, and at least 20 administrators I have worked for in that time. I have never seen this kind of strain on the profession.
Yes, everyone in my campus is commenting on how much more stressed out they are this year than previously. Districts have a big problem this year, which is the loss of instruction during the COVID shutdowns, and the alienation caused by the return to school with mask mandates.

As usual, the solution is to apply more pressure to teachers. I'm fine with it, because I'm old enough to know that we just have to do the best we can and not get in a twist over unrealitic expectations. I feel bad for the new teachers, though.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back