Another Kit Almost Done

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
BTW, these are kits I've had for a while, were super cheap deals at thift stores or were presents from family members who know I love building PB guns and will keep me busy since the loss of my wife.

Here's the latest. Still have to finish the barrel, i.e. more sanding, browning the barrel and fitting the sights.

Kentucky rifle kit1.jpg

Kentucky rifle kit2.jpg

Kentucky rifle kit3.jpg

Kentucky rifle kit4.jpg

Nice job.
years ago I knew a fellow that built them by hand. No kit Job.
he has been gone many years now.

Black powder flint lock?
Yup. PB = Black Powder and I don't use modern smokeless powders. I even have a reproduction Sharps Calvary Carbine that I'm considering doing my own black powder cartridge loads.

I had a couple. 1863's. Great instructions online. I nitrated my papers, cut proper shapes all was cool!

That a Pedersoli? Nice how finished even the frizzen spring is. Like the relief carving, odd for a kit.

Black powder flint lock?
Yup. PB = Black Powder and I don't use modern smokeless powders. I even have a reproduction Sharps Calvary Carbine that I'm considering doing my own black powder cartridge loads.

I had a couple. 1863's. Great instructions online. I nitrated my papers, cut proper shapes all was cool!

That a Pedersoli? Nice how finished even the frizzen spring is. Like the relief carving, odd for a kit.
I'm the one who did the carving. It's the Pendesoli Kentucky in .45 caliber, a gift. I did a LOT of wood removal trying to get it more like the Bucks County the Kentucky kinda, sorta, maybe resembles.

Black powder flint lock?

I'm the one who did the carving. It's the Pendesoli Kentucky in .45 caliber, a gift. I did a LOT of wood removal trying to get it more like the Bucks County the Kentucky kinda, sorta, maybe resembles.
Do you shoot them much? If you do do you hunt with them?

Black powder flint lock?

Do you shoot them much? If you do do you hunt with them?
I used to shoot a lot way back and looking to start again. All of my previous BP experience was with percussion so I'm basically brand new to flintlocks. I have three .54 calibers, a .50 caliber and this build is a .45 caliber. Another (more detailed) build is a smoothbore .62 caliber. As for hunting I never have, don't have anything against hunting I've just never felt the need so my "hunting" is relegated to finding sales in the meat department..........

I've got a Traditions Crockett .32 cal kit that needs my attention.

I know who I'm going to when I need advice.
Advice: Get a real gun.........

Just kidding!!!

The Traditions Crockett is an excellent small game rifle. The kit should be fairly easy to put together.

Nice carving job! Relief is not easy to do pleasingly.
That was my first attempt at carving. Originally had grandiose carving plans but my patience level wasn't up to the challenge. It's not as easy as it looks.

That was my first attempt at carving. Originally had grandiose carving plans but my patience level wasn't up to the challenge. It's not as easy as it looks.

If that was your first try, keep at it, excellent work! No it's not easy is it. Contrary to what some "assume" building some kits is not easy either. the fusil de chase from Track for instance!

Have you engraved? I have tried with handheld chasers. I also have the "n-graver' system. Talk about hard!!!

I have collected old books on BP firearms over 50 years. One is a 1972 version about 2" thick letter size and ALL patchboxes!

I have been to Boonesbourough here just south Winchester KY. What a cool place. Resurrected fort. All shops like gunsmith, blacksmith etc. Year round mostly camping anyway, dressed period and working. I spent over 2 hrs talking to the gunsmith while he was showing me some of his work. He was doing a double bbl rifle at the time, swivel breech. Killer admission though, $8

If that was your first try, keep at it, excellent work! No it's not easy is it. Contrary to what some "assume" building some kits is not easy either. the fusil de chase from Track for instance!

Have you engraved? I have tried with handheld chasers. I also have the "n-graver' system. Talk about hard!!!

I have collected old books on BP firearms over 50 years. One is a 1972 version about 2" thick letter size and ALL patchboxes!

I have been to Boonesbourough here just south Winchester KY. What a cool place. Resurrected fort. All shops like gunsmith, blacksmith etc. Year round mostly camping anyway, dressed period and working. I spent over 2 hrs talking to the gunsmith while he was showing me some of his work. He was doing a double bbl rifle at the time, swivel breech. Killer admission though, $8

When I was much younger if I had the money and time I would have moved to, lived and worked at Colonial Williamsburg. As it was I visited every chance I got. I absolutely loved it! The wife on the other hand hated colonial particularly colonial architecture.
The one build that I pull out and work on every once in a while is the Fussil de Chasse, Tulle which I bought from Pecitonica back in 2014. I'll finish it eventually.......... And the Tulle was supposed to be the easy one.

Now if you want fairly easy and authentic Kibler makes two kits, an early Virginia Flintlock and a later South Mountain. I'm considering the Virginia eventually though I'm also looking at an early French Matchlock kit.

Rifle Kits

When I was much younger if I had the money and time I would have moved to, lived and worked at Colonial Williamsburg. As it was I visited every chance I got. I absolutely loved it! The wife on the other hand hated colonial particularly colonial architecture.
The one build that I pull out and work on every once in a while is the Fussil de Chasse, Tulle which I bought from Pecitonica back in 2014. I'll finish it eventually.......... And the Tulle was supposed to be the easy one.

I hear you. Got a Fusil de Chasse "chief's grade" I been working on 14 years, or more! Now I am in a move, need to set up a new shop and all to finish.

Forum List

Back