Another gem from the Dems, a tax on bags.......

It's another democrat plot to raise the price of tea in order to squelch the tea-bag protests.

well if it happens ill pay it.....cause i am not going to give into those fuckers who back this kind of shit......i will not use those little fucking canvas things they want you to use....wont do it.....

Those canvas bags are great and they aren't little anymore. They're huge and they'll carry your entire week's worth of groceries and your stuff doesn't fall out all over the car like they do in those plastic bags.

I even like the paper bags better than plastic.

Don't worry about it. President Obama will never sign it as it will be a tax increase on the 95% of Americans he promised to lower... um wait, cigarettes?

Immie

I don't even want to talk about the cigarette tax which was raised by the state level here at the same time it was federally. It is $70 for most cartons here. I am a liberal but I am starting to get sick of my liberal governor. We either need to get a Republican State congress here or Republican governor for alittle checks and balances. It kills me to say that but somethings are out of control.

LOL i have been using canvas bags for shopping for YEARS
this wont effect me at all
and it will not raise anywhere near the revenues they expect it too

Most grocery stores near me are doing this, but opposite. you get $.05 off per reusable bag that you supply. It's not much but $.25 a week off my grocery bill is nothing I'm going to complain about. Those 5 bags are long since paid for and they're making me money now.

Most grocery stores near me are doing this, but opposite. you get $.05 off per reusable bag that you supply. It's not much but $.25 a week off my grocery bill is nothing I'm going to complain about. Those 5 bags are long since paid for and they're making me money now.
especially when Walmart has them for 50 cents
they used to cost around $2.00 to $3.00

I think that is a better idea! Reward people for doing the right thing instead of forcing them to.

I dig this idea.

The forced bag tax, not so much.

Don't worry about it. President Obama will never sign it as it will be a tax increase on the 95% of Americans he promised to lower... um wait, cigarettes?

Immie

I don't even want to talk about the cigarette tax which was raised by the state level here at the same time it was federally. It is $70 for most cartons here. I am a liberal but I am starting to get sick of my liberal governor. We either need to get a Republican State congress here or Republican governor for alittle checks and balances. It kills me to say that but somethings are out of control.

You must be in New York!

Immie

Seventy bucks a carton?! Thank God I never picked up that habit.

Immie

I don't see the problem. I'd prefer taxes on things that should be discouraged (like wasting plastic) rather than taxes on income and investments which should be encouraged.

Give me a break--You think the federal government is going to let you off on income tax & investments. Hell will freeze over first.

Plastic is just another way to TAKE your money--so they can SPEND it on something you DON'T NEED.

This is another issue in which the jury is still out. Consider what BJ's stores do? They give no bags of any kind. Not even the plastic coated canvas ones, probably made in China and polluting the world same as other bags - maybe even worse. And these heavier canvas bags are they really better? And wasting lots of cotton is that good too? I don't know but open your refrigerator right now and it probably has more plastic than a hundred bags - so should you carry your milk in your hands? How about dish detergent bottles or cosmetics by the trillions? I don't profess to know the answers here but it is another issue that needs more study and better solutions. Recycling plastic could even be the solution?

GOOD Magazine | Blog - Bad Plastic Bags

'Plastic shopping bags'

"I saw the plastic bag video on the site today. It discussed the downside of plastic shoppiong bags and pointed out that paper bags used more energy etc. - concluding that canvass totes were the answer.

Unfortunately no analysis of the impact of totes was made available.

The question of shopping bags has been debated in Australia for years - I recognised the turtle photo - it was taken at the Melbourne Zoo - and no, it was not a shopping bag in his mouth.

Canvass / cotton bags use a lot of resources to manufacture, and there is an impact associated with their re-use.

I worked out that if all Australian shoppers were to use them for grocery shopping, there would be an additional 5000 tons of material transported in those shoppers' cars. If people left them in the car so as not to forget them, this amount of material would be transported on every trip taken in the vehicles.

Think of the extra fuel required!

I use my plastic shopping bags as bin liners, for gym gear, and when I take the dog for a walk. If I did not get them at the store I would need to buy them.

As long as you don't litter them, I think they are low impact and very useful."

Gerard, Sydney, Australia"

I don't see the problem. I'd prefer taxes on things that should be discouraged (like wasting plastic) rather than taxes on income and investments which should be encouraged.

Give me a break--You think the federal government is going to let you off on income tax & investments. Hell will freeze over first.

Plastic is just another way to TAKE your money--so they can SPEND it on something you DON'T NEED.

I said no such thing. I agree with you that this is just a revenue source for the government, but what I said is that I prefer sin taxes to taxes on income and investments. This is the same reason I support cigarette taxes, gambling winnings taxes, and carbon taxes.... You can choose to avoid these things, you cannot choose to avoid income.

I said no such thing. I agree with you that this is just a revenue source for the government, but what I said is that I prefer sin taxes to taxes on income and investments. This is the same reason I support cigarette taxes, gambling winnings taxes, and carbon taxes.... You can choose to avoid these things, you cannot choose to avoid income.

You seem to just want to tax anything, that's what a sin tax is, it's a needless tax which does nothing but give more money to the government to waste.

Bullshit.
Ever hear of welfare?

You consider something a sin, so it's ok for you to wish taxes on it.
I think you being on the internet is a sin, so you should be taxed for every click you make to every website you visit. Sounds pretty damn stupid of me to say that, doesn't it? Now, go look in the mirror.

Bullshit.
Ever hear of welfare?

You consider something a sin, so it's ok for you to wish taxes on it.
I think you being on the internet is a sin, so you should be taxed for every click you make to every website you visit. Sounds pretty damn stupid of me to say that, doesn't it? Now, go look in the mirror.

Shhh ... don't give them any ideas!

Your going to open a can of worms with just the syn tax. From there it just goes on and on. Politicians take the easy road such as syn taxing, and they go with the harder taxes. Like gas tax increases, telecommunication increases, energy increases. Higher income taxes...on and on, and on. Don't be a fool and just say it's only the syn taxes...because it ain't.:evil:

A sin tax is nothing more than an easy way to con people into taxing something by making them "feel good". They could justify such a tax on anything ... and I do mean anything, because everything is wrong to someone, and enough people would vote for it, if they ever let people vote on it.

Immie

You must be in New York!
nope washington state!

Forum List

Back