Another Federal Appeals Court Strikes Down DOMA

This is one thing I agree with you on. I think couples who make a vow to each other should get tax breaks, the right to cover the other on their insurance and the spouse should receive benefits if one spouse dies. It seems pretty basic and fair. It is important to leave religion out of it because of the separation of church and state.

That said, the military is probably the worst place to conduct social experiments and force people to accept things that may go against their beliefs. DOMA worked well for years and hopefully nothing really changed since doing away with it. There will always be those who are intolerant and our troops are already put in enough dangerous situations without adding any other thing to deal with. You have to trust your fellow soldiers with your life and even if there is one guy who can't accept gays, it could be bad for everyone. I also worry about troops in the Arab countries because some of them kill gays.

I don't know the best way, but military has always had it's own rules and they do things that are best for safety and morale and maybe we shouldn't mess with any of it. We've come a long way and people accept things over a time as they learn to let go of their prejudices, but just don't know if you can speed that up. When people feel pushed to do something, they might resist more.

As far as a person's rights, we either all have rights or none of us have rights. Our constitution doesn't allow giving rights to some while denying the same to others.

DOMA is the Defense of Marriage Act which is a federal law passed during the Gingrich/Clinton era. It states that for purposes of the federal laws which award cash and prizes to married people, those cash and prizes are only for one man-one woman type marriages.

The appeals courts are saying that DOMA violates the "equal protection of the laws" part of the 14th amendment.

Last edited:
That's why it has to be decided in the Supreme Court. We have a nation in decline and decay, I expect DOMA to be struck down by the Supreme Court, we are simply becoming too degenerate to survive.

Can you explain how two adults in a monogamous relationship filing a married tax return is degenerate?

One man sticking his dick in another man's ass is degenerate, and providing them with government benefits because of such behavior is even more degenerate.

2itmzdc.gif

If Uncle Sam gives cash and prizes to Adam and Eve, he has to give them to Adam and Steve!

New York appeals court strikes down DOMA - CNN.com

The long and the short of their decision is that DOMA violates the 14th amendment, which is exactly correct. DOMA is unequal protection of the laws, granting special privileges to opposite-sex couples and withholding them from same-sex couples.

A same-sex married couple cannot file a federal married tax return, nor can a same-sex spouse collect Social Security death benefits, nor can they exercise a myriad of other privileges extended to opposite-sex couples.

So, either remove the marriage privileges that are currently granted only to opposite-sex couples, or grant them to same-sex and opposite-sex couples alike.

There is no rational objection anyone can raise to granting the privilege of a married tax return to same-sex couples. There is no rational objection anyone can raise to granting Social Security death benefits to same-sex couples.

No societal harm arises from these activities.

This is one thing I agree with you on. I think couples who make a vow to each other should get tax breaks, the right to cover the other on their insurance and the spouse should receive benefits if one spouse dies. It seems pretty basic and fair. It is important to leave religion out of it because of the separation of church and state.

That said, the military is probably the worst place to conduct social experiments and force people to accept things that may go against their beliefs. DOMA worked well for years and hopefully nothing really changed since doing away with it. There will always be those who are intolerant and our troops are already put in enough dangerous situations without adding any other thing to deal with. You have to trust your fellow soldiers with your life and even if there is one guy who can't accept gays, it could be bad for everyone. I also worry about troops in the Arab countries because some of them kill gays.

I don't know the best way, but military has always had it's own rules and they do things that are best for safety and morale and maybe we shouldn't mess with any of it. We've come a long way and people accept things over a time as they learn to let go of their prejudices, but just don't know if you can speed that up. When people feel pushed to do something, they might resist more.

As far as a person's rights, we either all have rights or none of us have rights. Our constitution doesn't allow giving rights to some while denying the same to others.

You're confusing DOMA and DADT. DADT has been gone for a year with no problems, thanks.

Sorry, I did. I still think DADT should have stayed in force.

I do believe in equal rights for all, not just some. Despite my hurried answer where I made a mistake, I am in agreement with many on the issue.

A thousand pardons for my mistake.

That's why it has to be decided in the Supreme Court. We have a nation in decline and decay, I expect DOMA to be struck down by the Supreme Court, we are simply becoming too degenerate to survive.

Can you explain how two adults in a monogamous relationship filing a married tax return is degenerate?

One man sticking his dick in another man's ass is degenerate, and providing them with government benefits because of such behavior is even more degenerate.

That you think homos are icky is not a legal foundation for discrimination.

how is it any of your business what one man does with another, fuckwit?

is there a list of approved sexual activities somewhere?

Aka government sticks its nose where it doesn't belong AGAIN....government has no business in marriage...its a contract between people that's all...no need for government to enforce people's beliefs in what marriage is based on some book of fiction.

You are completely ignoring the fact that a contract carries legal issues which must be resolved by government. As long as people keep breaking those contracts through divorce and upon their deaths, government will be involved. Striking down DOMA has nothing to do with enforcing people's beliefs. This has to do with enforcing the law.

The claim that DOMA violates the 14th Amendment is too stupid for words to describe. If that's a violation, then how about separate restrooms for men and women? The law has always made distinctions between men and women, and for a very good reason. Why shouldn't the law also make distinctions between heterosexual couples and homosexual couples? Marriage laws exist for one reason: two protect mothers and their children. Homosexuals can never have children, so there's no social benefit to providing a couple of homos shacking up together with those benefits.

DOMA is the Defense of Marriage Act which is a federal law passed during the Gingrich/Clinton era. It states that for purposes of the federal laws which award cash and prizes to married people, those cash and prizes are only for one man-one woman type marriages.

The appeals courts are saying that DOMA violates the "equal protection of the laws" part of the 14th amendment.

You are right and I have learned my lesson. Was in a hurry as things were hectic around here, but suffice it to say we are in agreement on DOMA. Either we all have rights or none of us have rights.

I just attended a gay wedding two weeks ago and hate the thought that they cannot have the same rights as the rest of us. If two people commit to each other and make it legal, then tax breaks, putting each other on employee insurance and all other benefits should be extended. I believe in tax breaks and monogamy. I don't care who the parties are that come together, but they deserve the same as everyone else.

Aka government sticks its nose where it doesn't belong AGAIN....government has no business in marriage...its a contract between people that's all...no need for government to enforce people's beliefs in what marriage is based on some book of fiction.

You are completely ignoring the fact that a contract carries legal issues which must be resolved by government. As long as people keep breaking those contracts through divorce and upon their deaths, government will be involved. Striking down DOMA has nothing to do with enforcing people's beliefs. This has to do with enforcing the law.

The claim that DOMA violates the 14th Amendment is too stupid for words to describe. If that's a violation, then how about separate restrooms for men and women? The law has always made distinctions between men and women, and for a very good reason. Why shouldn't the law also make distinctions between heterosexual couples and homosexual couples? Marriage laws exist for one reason: two protect mothers and their children. Homosexuals can never have children, so there's no social benefit to providing a couple of homos shacking up together with those benefits.
Are there separate bathrooms for men and women in PRIVATE homes? OR just in yours?

Oh...and it will be enlightening for my daughter to hear that she, the child of a homosexual couple, doesn't exist.

The claim that DOMA violates the 14th Amendment is too stupid for words to describe.

That you have a head full of logical fallacies does not render DOMA constitutional.

If that's a violation, then how about separate restrooms for men and women?

It would be a violation of the 14th Amendment to provide restrooms for men but not for women. That is gender discrimination.

It would be a violation of the 14th Amendment to provide government cash and prizes to married same-race couples but not to married opposite-race couples. That is racial discrimination. See Loving v. Virginia.

It is a violation of the 14th Amendment to provide government cash and prizes to married opposite-sex couples but not to married same-sex couples. That's gender discrimination.

Marriage laws exist for one reason: two protect mothers and their children. Homosexuals can never have children, so there's no social benefit to providing a couple of homos shacking up together with those benefits.

Reproduction is not a condition for receiving government cash and prizes for being married.

And there are homosexuals raising children. They should be in a two parent home, yes?

Last edited:

Someone asked the question, douchebag, and I answered it. If you don't want an answer, then don't ask for it. Furthermore, the minute the government taxes me to provide perverts with benefits, their sexual proclivities become my business. If you want to keep the government out of your personal affairs, then don't demand that it get involved in them.

Yes there is. For instance, having sex with a 5-year-old is on the strictly prohibited list. So is having sex with your sister. The only question here is whether anal sex is on the list, not whether the list exists.

You're confusing DOMA and DADT. DADT has been gone for a year with no problems, thanks.

Sorry, I did. I still think DADT should have stayed in force.

I do believe in equal rights for all, not just some. Despite my hurried answer where I made a mistake, I am in agreement with many on the issue.

A thousand pardons for my mistake.

Did you serve? I ask because I am curious as to whether you personally experienced the military during DADT or maybe even beforehand. Would you have thought it acceptable for everyone to dance around reality like DADT did?

Someone asked the question, douchebag, and I answered it. If you don't want an answer, then don't ask for it. Furthermore, the minute the government taxes me to provide perverts with benefits, their sexual proclivities become my business. If you want to keep the government out of your personal affairs, then don't demand that it get involved in them.

Yes there is. For instance, having sex with a 5-year-old is on the strictly prohibited list. So is having sex with your sister. The only question here is whether anal sex is on the list, not whether the list exists.

On your "list", would heterosexual couples who like anal sex be disqualified from civil marriage?

Do you realize you just claimed that giving someone else government marriage benefits costs you money?

Correct. Sex with a minor causes societal harm. Sex between two consenting adults does not.

Last edited:

On your "list", would heterosexual couples who like anal sex be disqualified from civil marriage?

Apparently anal sex is degenerate only when two men do it. The same must be true for oral sex.

Apparently anal sex is degenerate only when two men do it. The same must be true for oral sex.

I wonder if voyeurism is on that list....because a LOT of posters here talk MORE about gay sex than gays do.

I wonder if voyeurism is on that list....because a LOT of posters here talk MORE about gay sex than gays do.

It is interesting. They want you to focus on a couple of waxed and ripped guys humping each other and smoking each other's poles instead of the federal cash and prizes for married people.

The mental image literally blinds them to the legalities at issue.

Do you realize you just claimed that giving someone else government marriage benefits costs you money?

Yes, actually, it does cost me money. I personally don't believe the government should be providing privileges of any kind to anyone for any reason. However, so long as it does, it should have a good reason. Allowing to fuck buddies of the same sex to feel like they're normal isn't a good reason. Why should they have any more rights than a single person?

Correct. Sex with a minor causes societal harm. Sex between two consenting adults does not.

One could argue all day that Sex between two consenting adults can cause plenty of harm. For instance, it spreads diseases.

However, no one is making that argument. The issue here is whether two consenting adults should be entitled to government benefits just because they are having sex with each other. No one has made a valid case for that.

Yes, actually, it does cost me money. I personally don't believe the government should be providing privileges of any kind to anyone for any reason. However, so long as it does, it should have a good reason. Allowing to fuck buddies of the same sex to feel like they're normal isn't a good reason. Why should they have any more rights than a single person?

How is giving gay couples the exact same rights as you giving them MORE rights?

You are the one wanting special privileges. You have been arguing gays should be exluded from the cash and prizes, not everyone.

One could argue all day that Sex between two consenting adults can cause plenty of harm. For instance, it spreads diseases.

However, no one is making that argument. The issue here is whether two consenting adults should be entitled to government benefits just because they are having sex with each other. No one has made a valid case for that.

Wrong. The issue is whether two consenting adults should be discriminated against and refused the same rights as everyone else just because they are having sex you don't like.

Last edited:

Monogamist couples spreading diseases? OK, maybe in your world (certainly don't want to think about that one).

Forum List

Back