Another beef thread!

Larsky

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2016
DuPage County
Specifically, steaks.

What are your thoughts on Prime, Choice, or select USDA grading?

Lately, I've seen some discussion on this.

Any results on your cook would be appreciated.

Specifically, steaks.

Dry aged Prime or Dry aged CAB,then there's A5 Wagyu Dry Aged and none dry aged.
All are fantastic with dry aged being the main factor,at least 30 day dry aged.

I got two small ribeyes for Valentine's Day and mean to cook them with a rub plus cracked peppercorns. Because Wegmans makes them up that way and charges $42 for one reasonable-size steak. I figure the peppercorns add $10 to the price ------------- and I've got peppercorns and can crack them with a wine bottle like everyone else!

Oh, and they are very well marbled.

We're doing a tenderloin with a diane sauce.

And I'll be using my latest meat gadget, The Meater, which is a wifi thermometer that works in the oven. It calculates cook time (can be a bit hit or miss on that), but it usually nails the time to pull it out then sit it to reach the actual desired temperature.

Nice little toy for those that like their beef right on the nuts in terms of done temp. It did a nice job with turkey also. I think there are less expensive models available, but can't speak to how those work, but this one I use every time a decent piece of meat hits the oven or grill.

It's also nice as you can just monitor progress on your phone to see where it's at, and if you're slow cooking ribs or something it will give you ambient temp as well. Nice little gadget.

And I'll be using my latest meat gadget, The Meater, which is a wifi thermometer that works in the oven. It calculates cook time (can be a bit hit or miss on that), but it usually nails the time to pull it out then sit it to reach the actual desired temperature.

Nice little toy for those that like their beef right on the nuts in terms of done temp. It did a nice job with turkey also. I think there are less expensive models available, but can't speak to how those work, but this one I use every time a decent piece of meat hits the oven or grill.

It's also nice as you can just monitor progress on your phone to see where it's at, and if you're slow cooking ribs or something it will give you ambient temp as well. Nice little gadget.
I got a meater plus, just the single. I love it. Except for the periodic glitches and fixes. I think traeger bought them?

Screenshot_20230214_125337.jpg

Specifically, steaks.

To me Prime is only worth it if you have the hardware to cook it right. Usually I only deal with Choice at home and save the Prime for the Steakhouses with the uber-grill/broilers.

I got a meater plus, just the single. I love it. Except for the periodic glitches and fixes. I think traeger bought them?
Not sure if Traeger bought them, but I do love this thing. Bottom line, it works. It has done whatever I've used it for pretty much perfectly every time I've used it.

Forum List

Back