Andrew Yang Promotes Bipartisanship By Citing A Legendarily Terrible President...Andrew Johnson, who was Lincoln's VP, then became POTUS after tragedy

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
I'm trying to be civil here since Yang and his supporters are civil

As I’ve said before, Andrew Yang is like fudge, the first bite is great then you’re like what am I doing?

(Andrew Johnson is a fascinating character, also considered the worst US President for basically attempting to reinstate slavery.)

Maybe it's because he is also named Andrew?

I'm trying to be civil here since Yang and his supporters are civil

As I’ve said before, Andrew Yang is like fudge, the first bite is great then you’re like what am I doing?

(Andrew Johnson is a fascinating character, also considered the worst US President for basically attempting to reinstate slavery.)

Maybe it's because he is also named Andrew?

I don't follow that Yang's statement is incorrect or somehow not founded. Andrew Johnson's position on slavery was not dissimilar to Lincoln's initial position. He was definitely an enemy of the Republican Reconstructionists though. And their policies came to an end in Grant's second term when congress forced him to give up on Reconstruction.

And just let us be down heah. (joke, not serious)

I don't follow that Yang's statement is incorrect or somehow not founded. Andrew Johnson's position on slavery was not dissimilar to Lincoln's initial position. He was definitely an enemy of the Republican Reconstructionists though. And their policies came to an end in Grant's second term when congress forced him to give up on Reconstruction.

And just let us be down heah. (joke, not serious)

Yes. Johnson's plan was to follow up on Lincoln's; this is what made him unpopular with the grifters and thieves. It is one of the ironies of the CW that the South would have been better off if he hadn't been assassinated. He already had control of the ballot boxes via his private army in all the border states, and would have been able to control many of the southern ballots as well, and probably won a third term.

Yes. Johnson's plan was to follow up on Lincoln's; this is what made him unpopular with the grifters and thieves. It is one of the ironies of the CW that the South would have been better off if he hadn't been assassinated. He already had control of the ballot boxes via his private army in all the border states, and would have been able to control many of the southern ballots as well, and probably won a third term.
I don't see that Lincoln would ever have gone for an armed occupation of the South and demanding they not have the same barriers to blacks voting as existed in the North. The 14th amendment didn't exist when Lincoln was killed, so he could not have required states adopt that before rejoining the Union. So, no one can know what his views on that would have been.

But sometime after the Emancipation Proclamation he became a true believer in full franchise for former slaves. His humanity and ability to set aside prejudice may have been what made him a great leader. As a military president he seemed more LBJ than FDR or even Woodrow Wilson. LOL

I think he would have differed with Johnson. But the economic reality in the South was blacks would become sharecroppers, if not slaves. That was all there was for them. And some whites were already in that position. So, strife was inevitable.

But the lynchings. And they weren't all about "just" keeping blacks in segregation and out of the political sphere. Lincoln could not have let that go.

Forum List

Back