An IQ of 100

IQ has never had anything to do with good old, just plain COMMON SENSE!

I dispute that assertion. The tests I took were MOSTLY, what seemed to me as, "common sense" questions.

And what is "common" to you or I may not be so typical to say someone from a ghetto. That is why there was a push to test some people without the weight being placed on language they might not have become familiar with.

Testing someone's ability to learn must be skewed towards what situations and information they have had an opportunity to access.

I've taken some that had a lot of math, like geometry and such. Math is one of MY biggest weaknesses. :D I don't really think that makes me "stupid" though. Lol.

Mathematics is the ability to simplify problems using a known set of rules. to me it is the essence of I Q. Still, it is an environment in it's self. If you have not been exposed to mathematics in a way that encouraged and rewarded you it can appear more of an obstacle than a useful tool.

Unless you have taken a supervised, qualified test - you don't know your IQ.
Internet test are extremely unreliable and vary wildly depending on each test.
They are good for entertainment, maybe a bit of sport for a few bored college kids seeing who fares better.
Secondly, from personal experience people who have scored in the upper echelon rarely talk about it. They certainly wouldn't normally create a thread on the internets and attempt to brag about it.
Especially a moderately impressive 140.

I dispute that assertion. The tests I took were MOSTLY, what seemed to me as, "common sense" questions.

And what is "common" to you or I may not be so typical to say someone from a ghetto. That is why there was a push to test some people without the weight being placed on language they might not have become familiar with.

Testing someone's ability to learn must be skewed towards what situations and information they have had an opportunity to access.

I've taken some that had a lot of math, like geometry and such. Math is one of MY biggest weaknesses. :D I don't really think that makes me "stupid" though. Lol.

Mathematics is the ability to simplify problems using a known set of rules. to me it is the essence of I Q. Still, it is an environment in it's self. If you have not been exposed to mathematics in a way that encouraged and rewarded you it can appear more of an obstacle than a useful tool.
Mathematics is just one aspect of intelligence.

I have known math whizzes with verbal skills a slight cut above a gorilla.

Unless you have taken a supervised, qualified test - you don't know your IQ.
Internet test are extremely unreliable and vary wildly depending on each test.
They are good for entertainment, maybe a bit of sport for a few bored college kids seeing who fares better.
Secondly, from personal experience people who have scored in the upper echelon rarely talk about it. They certainly wouldn't normally create a thread on the internets and attempt to brag about it.
Especially a moderately impressive 140.
140 on an internet IQ test is like an 82 IRL.

There was a RW USMB member a couple of years ago called CaliforniaGirl that lived in London England. She constantly bragged about having a 162 IQ. She left when Romney lost. I find NeoCons with high IQ's an oxymoron or just smart sociopaths.

Mathematics is just one aspect of intelligence.

I have known math whizzes with verbal skills a slight cut above a gorilla.

That would be rare. I would guess more often great math people that don't communicate well just feel awkward and sense that others who don't share their interests would mock them. Or maybe they just don't waste their time with irrelevant chit chat.

There was a RW USMB member a couple of years ago called CaliforniaGirl that lived in London England. She constantly bragged about having a 162 IQ. She left when Romney lost. I find NeoCons with high IQ's an oxymoron or just smart sociopaths.
Thank you for showing your bias. There are plenty of highly intelligent people on both the left and right that are not sociopaths.

Whatever, I have known Cali for over 10 years. I don't remember her bragging about her IQ here or other forums.

I used to love to read the Ask Marilyn ask column in the Prade insert of the Sunday news paper. I think at one time she was in the G. Book for highest IQ. Her column used to have some good brain teasers, but here lately it not so much. I think she has fallen off of her game as she has gotten older.

Whatever, I have known Cali for over 10 years. I don't remember her bragging about her IQ here or other forums.

I can't say I knew her for a decade, I believe she joined this MB in 2010, but have shared E-mails with her on some personal business. I don't have a hatred for her in any sense. But she most certainly did bring up her IQ on many occasions here on USMB.

I have to give her credit. She IS smart. She organized the most effective rep whoring organization this board has ever seen.

It's true we differed in politics. She claimed to spend something like a day a week making sammies for the poor at some Catholic outreach church in London which is commendable but for the most part had an attitude that everyone despite their handicaps or bad life's luck needed to just pull themselves up by their bootstraps. A rather glib attitude from someone that had access to daddy's biz jet and bragged about hob nobbing around Europe with the elites.

I have an IQ of 147, this the latest test I took.

So I have a question.
What makes the "Average IQ" so attractive to other people ?
The average IQ is 100.

Just a reminder, 100 is very first number with three digits !
Compared to how I function, how most people I have ever dealt with on a daily basis as equals function... 100 is fucking slow as molasses.

An IQ of 90 is considered dull.... 100 is just 10 points higher than DULL, scientifically, and 85 is getting near retarded, if it isn't retarded.

The average person that I know has an IQ ranging from about 118, up to about 160.

So what is with all these complaints in marriages, when the spouse has an "above average iq".. especially regarding people with Asperger ?

So what the fuck is the attraction to people with just an "Average IQ" ?
Most people don't know their IQ because they were either never tested or were not informed of the score. At one time, the military gave standard IQ tests but today they give the Armed Forces Vocational Aptitude Battery which has a section to measure general intelligence but it's not an IQ test. If student in school appears to be gifted, they will probably be given an IQ test as a part of a battery of tests. In may schools such tests are given to all students but students are not givern their IQ score. Most average student don't know their IQ and in fact many gifted students don't either.

Last edited:
Hey, she started it.
it takes at least two to play

Point being?
stop hijacking threads with personal battles.

why not respect the community and take it to the Flame Zone?

I didn't. I was addressing the topic of the thread. A&D came in and called me shallow, among other things. It was self defense. :D Lol.

and all you have to do is take it...

like I will if I address this again :D

I used to love to read the Ask Marilyn ask column in the Prade insert of the Sunday news paper. I think at one time she was in the G. Book for highest IQ. Her column used to have some good brain teasers, but here lately it not so much. I think she has fallen off of her game as she has gotten older.
figures you'd confuse trivia with actually knowledge

I had an idiot savant aunt that was a whiz at trivia, and knew the answer to anything that had ever been on a quiz show.

She had had dengue fever as a kid, and was dingy.

I had an idiot savant aunt that was a whiz at trivia, and knew the answer to anything that had ever been on a quiz show.

I had a friend who used to study the questions in the game trivial pursuit. He had a decent memory, yet knew nothing outside of the answer to the question.

Memory versus intelligence. This is why I don't buy computers are becoming more like people. I agree with others that people are becoming more like computers: shit in, shit out

I had a friend who used to study the questions in the game trivial pursuit. He had a decent memory, yet knew nothing outside of the answer to the question.

Memory versus intelligence. This is why I don't buy computers are becoming more like people. I agree with others that people are becoming more like computers: shit in, shit out
Paris!

When in doubt, Paris.

What a stupid game, a moron can win on the roll of dice.

Paris!

When in doubt, Paris.

What a stupid game, a moron can win on the roll of dice.
I'd play Scrabble with this nitwit and ask him to correctly use the word in a sentence. :laugh2:

I used to watch Jeopardy a lot. Alex Trebek (who has philosophy degrees from the University of Ottawa and the University of Toronto, and who was a noted philosophical debater in Canada before slumming into show business) never seemed to tire of announcing that MENSA members were miserable Jeopardy players, most getting bounced early on. I don't know what the connection is, I'm just passing on what Trebek observed over many years.
Jeopardy requires rapid recall of "trivial" information. Pattern recognition and problem solving are more often tested with IQ tests.

I disagree. In order to glean that "trivial" information, one had to be very well read in an eclectic mix of human interests. If the category was Shakespeare, and a single contestant answered eight questions in a row of Shakespeare esoterica, well then that person must have read, understood, and retained the great bard's entire corpus. In short, Jeopardy winners weren't necessarily high IQ people, but they were well-rounded and very well-read people. They were in touch with the world.

Probably the greatest theoretical physicist in American history was Nobel Prize winner, Richard Feynman. The Cal Tech professor was also one of the greatest lecturers in American academia. His lectures were never dry cyphering drones. Rather Feynman interjected a plethora of reasons as to why subjects like theoretical calculus are important to humanity. His lectures were as much about the why as they were about the how. His IQ was 125.

Last edited:
I used to watch Jeopardy a lot. Alex Trebek (who has philosophy degrees from the University of Ottawa and the University of Toronto, and who was a noted philosophical debater in Canada before slumming into show business) never seemed to tire of announcing that MENSA members were miserable Jeopardy players, most getting bounced early on. I don't know what the connection is, I'm just passing on what Trebek observed over many years.
Jeopardy requires rapid recall of "trivial" information. Pattern recognition and problem solving are more often tested with IQ tests.

I disagree. In order to glean that "trivial" information, one had to be very well read in an eclectic mix of human interests. If the category was Shakespeare, and a single contestant answered eight question in a row of Shakespeare esoterica, well then that person must have read, understood, and retained the great bard's entire corpus. In short, Jeopardy winners weren't necessarily high IQ people, but they were well-rounded and very well-read people. They were in touch with the world.

Probably the greatest theoretical physicist in American history was Nobel Prize winner, Richard Feynman. The Cal Tech professor was also one of the greatest lecturers in American academia. His lectures were never dry cyphering drones. Rather Feynman interjected a plethora of reasons as to why subjects like theoretical calculus are important to humanity. His lectures were as much about the why as they were about the how. His IQ was 125.
great post Tom. Poor little Joey, he doesn't even know what goes into IQ testing yet he posts about it as if he did:

1. Verbal Intelligence
  2. Mathematical Ability
  3. Spatial Reasoning Skills
  4. Visual/Perceptual Skills
  5. Classification Skills
  6. Logical Reasoning Skills
  7. Pattern Recognition Skills
IQ Test Experts - Parts of an IQ Test - IQ Articles

Forum List

Back