An Honest Moral Question

Is slavery itself evil? (please read before answering)

• Yes

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Depends on its execution

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
SpidermanTuba said:
Does what is wrong and what is right change with time?
Actually, yes. There was a time that a white male, without property, could not vote. During the same period, women could not own property in most places, much less vote.

Kathianne said:
If you post a poll asking if 'slavery is always wrong, today.' I would vote yes. I see no place for slavery today, though I do know it's being implemented in some Islamic states.

Oh, I wholeheartedly agree. Like I said, Devil's Advocate.

Hobbit said:
Oh, I wholeheartedly agree. Like I said, Devil's Advocate.

At least slavery is honest. The mind of the slave is free. In corporate america they force you to memorize and regurgitate their one way street of pseudopolicy.

In the instance of one human being having absolute ownership of another, slavery is wrong.

Under the circumstances of enslaving oneself to get ahead or repay debt, and within the limitations of that person being freed once the debt is paid, I see no problem.

We do it to ourselves EVERY day. Every time we use a credit card.

GunnyL said:
In the instance of one human being having absolute ownership of another, slavery is wrong.

Under the circumstances of enslaving oneself to get ahead or repay debt, and within the limitations of that person being freed once the debt is paid, I see no problem.

We do it to ourselves EVERY day. Every time we use a credit card.

Slavery wouldn't be bad with a benevolent master. A cashless economy, colocation of work and homelife. Sounds like a new business enabled bedroom community of the future.

rtwngAvngr said:
Slavery wouldn't be bad with a benevolent master. A cashless economy, colocation of work and homelife. Sounds like a new business enabled bedroom community of the future.

http://www.atlanticstation.com/

What could you do with an extra hour a day?...an extra day a month?...an extra week a year?...Anything you want. The average Atlantan spends more time commuting to work than most anywhere in the world. Wouldn't you rather work two blocks from home and shop around the corner? In Atlantic Station you will.

Atlantic Station is the national model for smart growth and sustainable development. Picture a community with unsurpassed architectural quality, a fusion of functionality and finesse that combines an attractive mix of affordable, middle-income, and up-scale housing with world-class restaurants, theaters, and retailers.

Providing homes for 10,000 people, employment opportunities for 30,000, with shopping and entertainment for millions more, this 24-hour community will buzz with pedestrian traffic on its wide boulevards and the crowd of people in the sidewalk cafes and expansive parks. The result? A quality of life unmatched in the Southeast.

What if you had a freakster whose sole goal was to become a 24/7 sex slave? Would he be happy without reaching that goal?

Yeah, he would be a freak but would it be wrong to enslave him?

no1tovote4 said:
What if you had a freakster whose sole goal was to become a 24/7 sex slave? Would he be happy without reaching that goal?

Yeah, he would be a freak but would it be wrong to enslave him?

After you decide on that you can start in on the 'was he born that way' argument. Then we can decide whether he could get married, and how to raise children under such circumstances....

SpidermanTuba said:
Wow. A majority of USMessageBoard users, so far, believe slavery is at least acceptable some of the time.

Which is quite revealing, since a majority of US message board users claim they support freedom. Turns out many of them are liars.

If you bothered to read, you would have noticed that many of us (including me) typed in caveats, basically stating that if someone wished to be enslaved, that would be morally permissible, but that involuntary enslavement is not morally permissible.

Slavery is always evil. Ownership of another person is unacceptable. Per the original post, I wouldn't say that slavery is something you can voluntarily take part in. Becoming a "slave" to pay off a debt is work - not slavery, unless the person who you were in debt to demanded slavery as the only solution to your financial obligation.

The ClayTaurus said:
Slavery is always evil. Ownership of another person is unacceptable. Per the original post, I wouldn't say that slavery is something you can voluntarily take part in. Becoming a "slave" to pay off a debt is work - not slavery, unless the person who you were in debt to demanded slavery as the only solution to your financial obligation.

So you're saying that kinksters don't exist? You would be incorrect. There are people out there that truly want to be slaves....

no1tovote4 said:
So you're saying that kinksters don't exist? You would be incorrect. There are people out there that truly want to be slaves....
That would fall under voluntary. Slavery is not a choice.

The ClayTaurus said:
That would fall under voluntary. Slavery is not a choice.

There are many who would disagree, but now you are attempting to split hairs and have begun to argue semantics. The person would call themselves a slave...

:spank3:

:laugh:

no1tovote4 said:
There are many who would disagree, but now you are attempting to split hairs and have begun to argue semantics. The person would call themselves a slave...

:spank3:

:laugh:

It's role play

Is a person who dresses up like a cop as some sort of sexual or otherwise fantasy really a cop? No.

The ClayTaurus said:
It's role play

Is a person who dresses up like a cop as some sort of sexual or otherwise fantasy really a cop? No.

You seriously don't know how serious these people get. Role play involves make believe, it ain't make believe...

But we digress...

Mine was basically a funny sidetrack and not really a serious part of the discussion.

no1tovote4 said:
You seriously don't know how serious these people get. Role play involves make believe, it ain't make believe...

But we digress...

Mine was basically a funny sidetrack and not really a serious part of the discussion.

It doesn't matter. It's still voluntary, because none of these "serious" people would ever bring charges against their captor.

You are right though, it's not a serious part of the discussion. Slavery in it's non-fetish existence is absolutely evil. Somehow rationalizing it (not saying you did) by saying worse things could happen is rediculous.

The ClayTaurus said:
It doesn't matter. It's still voluntary, because none of these "serious" people would ever bring charges against their captor.

You are right though, it's not a serious part of the discussion. Slavery in it's non-fetish existence is absolutely evil. Somehow rationalizing it (not saying you did) by saying worse things could happen is rediculous.

Slavery is 'evil" by our moral standards today; which, in comparison to the known history of mankind, doesn't amount to much.

GunnyL said:
Slavery is 'evil" by our moral standards today; which, in comparison to the known history of mankind, doesn't amount to much.
Spell what your point is out for me; I'm a slow asshole, remember?

Forum List

Back