American journalist killed by Israeli military

There had to have been an order or, at the minimum, approval given by the highest levels of the Israeli defense apparatus, as high as the minister of defense or even the prime minister, before the sniper could execute this assassination.

Or just an Arab spraying rounds blindly.

I just got part of the translation of the conversation between reporters (and I think a resident) in the minutes before Shireen Abu Akleh was shot. (I'm trying to get more.) The video comes from Middle East Eye, and is unlisted at the moment.

The transcript is a little muddled, but they are talking about the Palestinian snipers all over Jenin, specifically pointing to the southwest where I have been saying was the source of the gunfire that killed Abu Akleh.

Not just one - multiple snipers. In buildings.

Transcript that I received of the translation:

3:00 There is the sniper, there, there

3:01-3:03 There, that’s the sniper, there…

3:03-3:05 There, those…

3:07-3:08 Listen, there is a sniper in that house, there…

3:12-3:14 There are more than that, there (is one or there are some) above, there (is or are) right in the middle of the house, there…

3:14-3:15 (different person): There is (or are) in the house, and there is (or are)…

3:15 There, on the what’s it’s called…

3:17-3:18 The two that are…

3:18-3:20 yes, yes…

3:19-3:20 On the house that they were on…

3:20-3:25 (Single shot in the background and someone says) Are those the shabab (who shot?)

3:24-3:25 There is a house that is under construction

(Someone answers) There is (or are) here, and there is (or are) here (unclear if he means house/s under construction or snipers)

If the snipers were in (or on top of) buildings, they are the ones who shot Shireen:

* They are known to be in the "Goldilocks zone" of the exact distance away from the camera that would fit the audio of the shockwave and gunshot sounds;
* Their pattern of firing was not at all like the IDF's
* Their line of sight towards Shireen and the tree is far more credible than the IDF's,
* They are not as disciplined as the IDF would be.

As far as distance is concerned, the original Bellingcat analysis found the gunshot to be between 177 and 184 meters from the microphone. CNN, quoting the same acoustics expert, says it is between 177 and 197 meters. That's a big change from the same scientist!

I calculated it the best I could. Based on an assumption that the temperature was about 15C and the time gap to the microphone as 309 ms (my calculation of the first gunshot using Audacity):

If we accept the weapons was an M16 shooting at 3150 ft/sec (Wikipedia) that indicates 190 meters distance.
An M4 at 2970 ft/sec (Wikipedia) = 173 meters.
Bellingcat said an M4 is between 2690 and 2840 ft/sec, which indicates a distance of between 147 and 161 meters.

I don't know why my calculations don't match the Bellingcat estimates.

So depending on the weapon and the speed, we are talking a much larger range than previously thought or reported, of between 147 and 190 meters - all still short of the 200 meters the IDF lead vehicle was away from the microphone.

At the low end of my estimate, this building would be a perfect fit for the sniper:

UPDATE: Middle East Eye mentioned the terrorists walking around the southeast of Abu Akleh on the day of the shooting, and even drew a map showing where they were!

Why in the world didn't Bellingcat and CNN mention these other gunmen when doing their analysis? At first I thought that the source was simply overlooked, but MEE is a major anti-Israel publication. Their existence seems to have been widely acknowledged in May 11, and then they disappeared from the scene.

Israel was super quick laying the blame on the Palestinians and claiming it could not be Israel . Something which was quickly proven wrong...but her past behaviour tells a story of its own

'Israel killed 46 Palestinian journalists since 2000'​

The Palestinian Journalists Syndicate said on Wednesday that Israel has killed more than 46 Palestinian journalists since the outbreak of the Al-Aqsa Intifada in 2000.

"The Syndicate counts annually between 500 and 700 [Israeli] occupation attacks and crimes against Palestinian journalists and it's time for these crimes to stop and to hold accountable those who committed them and those who issued the orders," al-Astal said.

He stressed that the Israeli violations against journalists "aim to silence and prevent the factual press image from being conveyed to the world."

Israel has a long history of targeting journalists. The New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists have documented 17 confirmed instances of journalists killed in Israel and the occupied Palestinian territory since 1992. Of these, 15 journalists have been killed by Israeli fire.

The year 2014, when Israel carried out its last major onslaught against the blockaded Gaza and killed over 2,200 Palestinians, was the bloodiest year for journalists in Palestine.

Israel was super quick laying the blame on the Palestinians and claiming it could not be Israel . Something which was quickly proven wrong...but her past behaviour tells a story of its own

A Turkish anti Israel site "saying" that Israel is guilty.

What is the proof the author of this article has? None.

Case closed.

Last edited:
A Turkish anti Israel site "saying" that Israel is guilty.

What is the proof the author of this article has? None.

Case closed.
No it was the Palestinians who determined it was an Israeli. Are you forgetting there was a witness who was injured but not killed. He knew where they were and could see that it was a deliberate act to stop them filming. Now it is going to the ICC. Not everyone goes by your Kangaroo courts.

The article you failed to read mentioned that Israel has killed 46 journalists since 2000. For any country this would be unacceptable for a tiny country like Israel it is unbelievable. No country could possible need to kill so many journalists.

No it was the Palestinians who determined it was an Israeli. Are you forgetting there was a witness who was injured but not killed. He knew where they were and could see that it was a deliberate act to stop them filming. Now it is going to the ICC. Not everyone goes by your Kangaroo courts.

The article you failed to read mentioned that Israel has killed 46 journalists since 2000. For any country this would be unacceptable for a tiny country like Israel it is unbelievable. No country could possible need to kill so many journalists.
You are accusing Israel of killing those journalists. And on purpose. Without any evidence.

Journalists die in war zones all the time.

Are you going to allow the evidence to determine the cause? Already prosecuted, judge, jury and executioner when it comes to this case.

Ask the PA to show the bullet which killed her to Israel.
They have refused to do so.

The Palestinian forensic man said that they were not certain as to who killed her.

But you are very sure. Very sure.

Stay sure.

You are accusing Israel of killing those journalists. And on purpose. Without any evidence.

Journalists die in war zones all the time.

Are you going to allow the evidence to determine the cause? Already prosecuted, judge, jury and executioner when it comes to this case.

Ask the PA to show the bullet which killed her to Israel.
They have refused to do so.

The Palestinian forensic man said that they were not certain as to who killed her.

But you are very sure. Very sure.

Stay sure.
I did not accuse Israel of killing the journalists. I supplied an article saying that. I did search for it because I have followed Israel and the Palestinians long enough to know that journalists are far too often shot. I don't really think it is accurate to call it a war zone.

The information I heard on the news last night was that the Palestinians were taking it to the ICC. On the same program they said they did not believe it was not a Palestinian. I also reminded you of the information I have already given I think to you but defo on this thread that there was another journalist there who was also shot but not killed. He, not me, said the killing was deliberate to stop them filming. The ICC will deal with the evidence. They will deal with the bullet. The Palestinians do not trust Israel to be honest about the bullet. You seem over the top emotional about things.

I did not accuse Israel of killing the journalists. I supplied an article saying that. I did search for it because I have followed Israel and the Palestinians long enough to know that journalists are far too often shot. I don't really think it is accurate to call it a war zone.

The information I heard on the news last night was that the Palestinians were taking it to the ICC. On the same program they said they did not believe it was not a Palestinian. I also reminded you of the information I have already given I think to you but defo on this thread that there was another journalist there who was also shot but not killed. He, not me, said the killing was deliberate to stop them filming. The ICC will deal with the evidence. They will deal with the bullet. The Palestinians do not trust Israel to be honest about the bullet. You seem over the top emotional about things.
The Palestinians are always "taking" or wanting to take something against Israel to the ICC. It means nothing.

They would have to show the bullet which killed the journalist, which they have refused to show Israel. They will not do that. The mystery of it pays much more than the evidence.

Emotional what????

You did not do the proper research about the other journalist. That was her producer.

My question is how reliable is that Producer not to be anti Israel and simply accuse Israel without any evidence as to whose bullets actually hit them.

The Palestinians are always "taking" or wanting to take something against Israel to the ICC. It means nothing.

They would have to show the bullet which killed the journalist, which they have refused to show Israel. They will not do that. The mystery of it pays much more than the evidence.

Emotional what????

You did not do the proper research about the other journalist. That was her producer.

My question is how reliable is that Producer not to be anti Israel and simply accuse Israel without any evidence as to whose bullets actually hit them.
It does mean something when the International Criminal court has charges against you regardless of who you are.

There is generally more than one way to skin a cat. I have noticed Israels lie telling on several occasions so I would not trust her to tell the truth over this either.

No, I just reported what Al Jazeera said. AJ was her employer and that of the journalist who was shot and survived and reported seeing the people who shot them and he believed it was deliberate to stop them filming. Can you show me where it says that who I thought was a journalist was in fact her producer. You don't believe if the person is responsible that the right thing to do is to report what you have seen - or is that for you only if it is an Israeli.

It does mean something when the International Criminal court has charges against you regardless of who you are.

There is generally more than one way to skin a cat. I have noticed Israels lie telling on several occasions so I would not trust her to tell the truth over this either.

No, I just reported what Al Jazeera said. AJ was her employer and that of the journalist who was shot and survived and reported seeing the people who shot them and he believed it was deliberate to stop them filming. Can you show me where it says that who I thought was a journalist was in fact her producer. You don't believe if the person is responsible that the right thing to do is to report what you have seen - or is that for you only if it is an Israeli.
There are no charges at all right now. And the PA may not move ahead with it.

There is a lot of evidence and investigation to go through, yet. I am certainly not accepting anyone's word for anything. I like to wait before jumping into anything.
----------
A veteran Palestinian-American correspondent for Al Jazeera has been killed while covering a raid by Israeli forces in the occupied West Bank. The Qatar-based network said Shireen Abu Aqla was shot "deliberately" and "in cold blood" by Israeli troops in Jenin. Her producer was also wounded.May 12, 2022

-------------

Journalist Shireen Abu Akleh Was Killed in Jenin. Who Will Be ...​

https://www.nytimes.com › 2022/05/25 › opinion › shiree...

4 days ago — On May 11, 2022, she was killed while covering an Israeli military raid in the city. Her producer was also wounded.

-------------
https://news.un.org › story › 2022/05

May 11, 2022 — Her producer, fellow journalist Ali Samoudi, also was wounded, according to media reports. The Secretary-General António Guterres issued a ...

-------------

All of the above is from the first days from when it happened. There has been a lot more which has come out, photos, videos, etc to help piece together who was where and what may have actually happened.

Here's a tweet from Gianluca Mezzofiore, investigative journalist at CNN, on the morning of the death of Shireen Abu Akleh:

He had seen the TikTok video that showed Jenin militants near where Abu Akleh was shot to the southeast. He says it explicitly: "near where the Al-Jazeera journalist was shot."

Mezzofiore is one of the authors of the CNN hit piece saying Israel deliberately killed her.

The main evidence that Israel was responsible for her death is seen in this CNN graphic:

The militants to the southeast, who were exactly the correct distance to have shot her are simply airbrushed out of history. It isn't like CNN mentioned them and dismissed them as possible shooters - they don't even mention them as existing, saying that the only recorded positions of any Palestinian militants were due south of Abu Akleh.

That is a provable lie.

The article reiterates this:

[A]n investigation by CNN offers new evidence — including two videos of the scene of the shooting — that there was no active combat, nor any Palestinian militants, near Abu Akleh in the moments leading up to her death.

We can no longer assume that CNN was not aware of the video showing other militants. It was aware and actively decided not to mention them.

And then claim that they never existed.

CNN cannot credibly claim to have discounted the video based on a calculation of the time of day it was taken. The video of the militants is difficult to check for the time, but if I'm using SunCalc correctly, it was clearly within 15 minutes of Shireen's being shot. This is a comparison of the angle of the sun's shadow in the video (a wall parallel to the street) with what SunCalc says would be the shadow at 6:25 AM:

Is CNN actively withholding facts that undermine its predetermined conclusion that Israel is the only possible party that could have shot Shireen? Because this claim that there were no other militants in the area is a blatant lie on the part of the writers, not an oversight.

I tweeted Mezzifiore asking him why this was not mentioned in the article. No response as of this writing.

(full article online)

Forum List

Back