American Airlines Pilot Tells His Story How He Was to Fly on 9-11

I have a friend who had the same thing happen -- she was a flight attendant. She had breakfast with the crew of Flight 11 that morning, the flight she would have been on except she was late putting in for it.

Hello, Fate is sometimes fortunate for some people and for others not.
So many stories of luck and bad luck on this September 11th. like this one.
On the morning of September 11, Joseph Salama's wedding. Mark Bingham overslept and nearly missed his flight, He arrived at the Terminal A at 7:40 am, ran to Gate 17, and was the last passenger to board United Airlines Flight 93, taking seat 4D Tom Burnet

How about the woman who called her husband at his WTC office to see if he was alright and he said, "why wouldn't I be alright?" Instead of going to the office, he was in a motel in NJ. The wife said, "Turn on the TV"

michael_formal_1.jpg

Chef Michael Lomonaco had one of the best jobs in the world, as head chef for Windows on the World at the famous World Trade Center, located on the 106th and 107th floors of the building. On the morning of Sept. 11, 2001, he was heading up to his office at Windows on the World at around 8:15 AM, when he made a decision. He had an appointment to get his glasses repaired at noon at the Lens Crafters located in the lobby of World Trade Center Building 1, but decided to stop to see if he could get his glasses repaired earlier. This delay of about 30 minutes probably saved his life. As he left to start going up to floors 106 and 107, he heard a rumble in the lobby. “It was a feeling like I’ve never felt before,” he remembers. “I couldn’t really hear anything, but this rumble was unusual. Later I would realize it was the impact of the first plane.” “When I got out a few minutes later I could see that where Windows on the World was there was a fire. The extent of it was hard to tell, but I immediately began to take stock of who was up there working.” He was heading toward the fire exits to see if he could help when he saw the second plane hit. “I saw it happen,” he says, incredulously. “It was really incredibly shocking, a moment I’ll never forget. I wasn’t watching TV, I was on the street. I was there.”

There are a thousand stories about the pretty September day on 2001 but it seems that Hollywood and independent video production venues ain't interested for some reason.

gwyneth-paltrow-b_0.jpg

Actress Gwyneth Paltrow did not, herself, narrowly survive being killed in the attacks of September 11, 2001. But a chance meeting between Paltrow and a total stranger, Lara Lundstrom Clarke, probably saved Clarke. Both had been exercising that morning, Paltrow taking in an early yoga class, Clarke rollerblading along the Hudson. While Clarke was crossing in the middle of a West Village street in New York, Paltrow was driving in her silver Mercedes SUV. Suddenly, Clarke looked over and realized who was in the SUV. Clarke and Paltrow each stopped and the two of them exchanged greetings. This small delay made Clarke miss her train to the World Trade Center building 2, where she worked on the 77th floor. At the time Clarke recalled being excited to tell her coworkers who she had just seen. She caught the next train and stepped off the platform just in time to see the first plane fly into Tower One. “If I had made that train I would have been at my desk on the 77th floor of 2 World Trade Center,” Clarke said.

Ten years later, Clarke contacted Paltrow to once again connect, and discuss their chance encounter and what it meant to Clarke. Paltrow commented: “It still gives me chills,” she said. “I can’t quite believe how many other people changed the course of strangers’ lives that day.”

I was getting ready for my own flight that morning, had my suitcase packed and was arranging for transportation to the airport. I had set the radio to wake me up and it was still on at low volume in the background, too low to hear but loud enough that I could hear it was the news. I stopped and though, "wait, why is the news still on? Isn't after 9 o'clock? News should be done by now".

That's when I turned it up and heard about a mysterious crash at the North Tower, and in a few minutes the South Tower was also hit. I called my ride back and said, "forget about the airport, all flights are off --- we're under attack".

We went nowhere -- we sat in front of the TV the rest of the day watching in horror and trying to find out the fate of my flight attendant friend. That evening we were still watching the news from one of the networks, when the network signal simply disappeared. Vanished. I hadn't seen that happen in decades. It punctuated how serious the turn of events was.

Forum List

Back