Along Came A Spider...

That didn't take long... Most Poisonous Spider in the World

Immediate treatment for the lethal bite of the Brazilian Wandering Spider:

the_brazilian_wandering_spider0.jpg

And another pic of the Brazilian Wandering Spider:

Brazilian-Wandering-Spider.jpg

Honey, you do not want to meet this critter. It could be the last thing you ever did. :eek: 10 most poisonous spiders list

Last edited:
What kind it is?

Freakin' nasty big-assed kind that I would smash with a brick after I used an entire can of Raid to choke the bugger to death.

:D

I always spray them with Raid first in case they see the shoe or whatever weapon I had handy and are faster than me. That way they die one way or another just faster with the shoe.

Immie
That makes them all the same specie--"Spider deceasedus"

What kind it is?

Freakin' nasty big-assed kind that I would smash with a brick after I used an entire can of Raid to choke the bugger to death.

:D

when we were first married we had this big assed spider in the house. we didn't want to kill it so i flipped it onto a newspaper opened the door and tossed it outside. the only problem was it was mid winter and it was like 16 degrees out. so anyway this spider starts booking across the porch. but with every step it got a little slower and slower and slower..... until after like 8 feet it finally came ot a complete stop and just sat there. my wife and i looked at each other. well the spider ended up back in the house .
One thing about letting spiders survive is that they do eat their weight in bugs on a daily basis. :)

Just be sure their specie is not recluse or black widow, because they can and do think of humans as their food, too, and their venom can certainly make you sick. There may be spiders in some parts whose venom has the property of dissolving flesh. I'm not an entomologist, though. I'll have to look that one up.

we do have a brown recluse living in our small shed. its been there for a few years now. black widows we have but i rarely see them by us. amazing with all the wood piles we have. I saw them a lot more as a kid in NJ.

Aaaahhhhh! Stop posting pics of spiders!!!!

I truly cannot stand them. My toes are curled up just posting in this thread. Hell, they curl up just reading the word spider.

I know they eat other bugs and if they stay outside and off my house I leave them alone. But build a web on my front porch or across the back door? DEATH!

Actually I can't even kill them I'm so skeeved out by them. That's a manly man job.

Aaaahhhhh! Stop posting pics of spiders!!!!

I truly cannot stand them. My toes are curled up just posting in this thread. Hell, they curl up just reading the word spider.

I know they eat other bugs and if they stay outside and off my house I leave them alone. But build a web on my front porch or across the back door? DEATH!

Actually I can't even kill them I'm so skeeved out by them. That's a manly man job.
I think we are genetically predisposed to hating spiders. My family moved to West Texas where the natives are quite comfortable about some spiders, being as they outnumbered humans by a million to one. I was in biology class, and one hanging around the ceiling fell on my desk. He was an inch in diameter, and I screamed to high heaven. When everyone saw it was just one of those little every day black-and-white spiders common in dog-town, they started laughing and couldn't stop. I thought "What kind of people are these, anyway, don't they know spiders are BAD?"

About a week later, a couple of the boys who lived far out in the scrub brush of the great SouthWestern Texas plains brought two jars to school. There was a black bushy-looking tarantula in one of them and a larger brown spotted icky tarantula in the other. They wanted me to hold them so I wouldn't be afraid of spiders any more. I declined! They left it in the lab, and I would look at them from time to time. Finally, I decided I would try to hold one of them. It tickled, and it didn't try to bite me at all.

Even so, I've never loved spiders until I got interested in gardening. I did some reading up on insect control, and one of the books advised cutting down on insect poisoning when possible to keep carcinogens away from your home and replacing them with garden spiders and lady bugs, which eat all kinds of vegetable vermin. That kinda lit my fire about spiders. Because I've read up on bugs. All of them carry more disease types than a dog had fleas back when, and spiders control their numbers if you don't kill them all off. After that, when I found them in the house, I placed them outside to feast on protein.

Unlike Spoonman who shows true sensitivity, I dropped them out there and always glanced away, never thinking of them again. I still don't like them in my house nor the thought of them crawling over my sleeping body at night. :eek:

My Aunt Oma had a saying that my mother always repeated to me. She said "If kids make you nervous, don't look at 'em." That's exactly how I felt about spiders until I realized the little athletes are better at getting rid of undesirable bugs than sprays that can result in breaking down human tissue in the lungs when inhaled and causing cells to spin into self-destruction mode aka cancer.

Here's sweet little miss spider Halloween pic to help you get over some of that innate spi-dred:

Attachments

• $Sweet lil miss Spider Costume.jpg
    $Sweet lil miss Spider Costume.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Christopher Locke is sculptor who makes scary sculptures of spiders. He makes them from sharp metal scissors and he call his artworks collection "Heartless Machines." Credits are here: http://www.fludit.com/images/stories/Design/Scary-Spider-Sculptures/Scary-Spider-Sculptures-5.jpg

Now I know where my mother's embroidery scissors, her gift to me on graduation before her death many years ago, may have gone. It was the day of the London bombings, and I was in San Francisco Airport travelling home from a Sewing Machine Convention, where we had to go in order to maintain our sewing machine dealership. I didn't think a pair of small, dull scissors I needed for my embroideries when I travel, which were that old would raise eyebrows at the airport on my trip. You just can't get into the small places with the Kindergarten scissors that are approved for flying, and I didn't know about any regulations about scissors since we travelled so infrequently on business. :(

Anyway, the sculptures that Mr. Christopher Locke made are beautiful, and if my scissors ever helped someone else make something remarkable or a poor woman enabled to sew, I guess it's not as bad as I thought. I do miss my mother, though, and I have fewer and fewer of her things she provided me when I was young and poor, as years go by.

Pardon moi for living in the past for a couple of minutes. Here's the goods:

Scary-Spider-Sculptures-5.jpg

These were made from specialized machine embroidery scissors, and likely expropriated by the NSA from hard-working sewing machine small business owners:

Scary-Spider-Sculptures-2.jpg

The curve of the handles enables the small embroidery scissors to go under the sewing machine foot. These look like quality ones that used to sell for $30 a pair, unless you specifically went to West Germany to get German-made scissors. They made scissors that never, never rusted on you.​

Very lovely treatise on entomologists who are tracking or have tracked giant spider reports on 3 continents (well, maybe not for some people who have thin skin for fierce-looking beasties)...

[ame="http://youtu.be/dHpCoFyMCHU"]Sun Spiders and other Massive Arachnids [FULL DOCUMENTARY] - YouTube[/ame]

3 reps for anyone who paid attention to the documentary on why humongous fossilized spider remains were possible at certain times eons ago on earth but would be most rare today...

Answer below sometime with an @ and my USMB name. I check mentions and would love to rep whoever gets it right first. ;)

The reason everybody who is pragmatic might like spiders: The weight of insects eaten by spiders every year is greater than the total weight of the entire human population.

I love spiders who feast on gnats, mosquitos and wasps. :)

Here's picture proof they are beneficent predators, even when very small, they can take on a mosquito many times their unprecocious size:

168128_Spidermosquito-Fight_400.jpg

One prepping a quite numb grasshopper for a meal later on...

th

Last edited:
Why pragmatic people might appreciate the job that spiders do:

The weight of insects eaten by spiders every year is greater than the total weight of the entire human population.

Spider devouring housefly:

2937648580_159ef6a053_z.jpg

Good riddance!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back