Allman Brothers

Yes. Well. It just ain't my cross to bear. :D

On another note, I saw them two years ago, minus Dickie Betts. Very shameful performance. :spank3:
OriginalAllmanbrosband.jpg

What is our cross to bear is that the Allman Brothers, while terrific, never again had the spark of genius that it possessed when Duane Allman and Barry Oakley were alive. I have listened to my Dad's Allman Brothers collection and after Eat a Peach, the music became less extraordinary. But The Allman Brothers Band, Idlewild South, Live at the Fillmore, and Eat a Peach, are true acts of musical genius. Dickey Betts was/is a fabuously gifted guitarist, but he could not lift the group alone. And Gregg, to me anyway, has always been a dim reminder of the greatness of his brother. It is sad that almost no one my age has ever heard the original Allman Brothers. Duane died five years before I was born. Live at the Fillmore is one of the best rock/blues albums ever recorded. Later we heard faint echoes of the original Allman Brothers in groups like Lynyrd Skynyrd and Black Crows...but they were no Remedy, if you know what I mean. I was born too late. I am stuck in some bullshit Nine Inch Nails era, when musically all I ever wanted was to see and hear Duane Allman and Dickey Betts play that Blue Sky guitar duet from Eat a Peach.

OriginalAllmanbrosband.jpg

What is our cross to bear is that the Allman Brothers, while terrific, never again had the spark of genius that it possessed when Duane Allman and Barry Oakley were alive. I have listened to my Dad's Allman Brothers collection and after Eat a Peach, the music became less extraordinary. But The Allman Brothers Band, Idlewild South, Live at the Fillmore, and Eat a Peach, are true acts of musical genius. Dickey Betts was/is a fabuously gifted guitarist, but he could not lift the group alone. And Gregg, to me anyway, has always been a dim reminder of the greatness of his brother. It is sad that almost no one my age has ever heard the original Allman Brothers. Duane died five years before I was born. Live at the Fillmore is one of the best rock/blues albums ever recorded. Later we heard faint echoes of the original Allman Brothers in groups like Lynyrd Skynyrd and Black Crows...but they were no Remedy, if you know what I mean. I was born too late. I am stuck in some bullshit Nine Inch Nails era, when musically all I ever wanted was to see and hear Duane Allman and Dickey Betts play that Blue Sky guitar duet from Eat a Peach.

My sentiments exactly, although Back Where all Begins was probably their best since the above mentioned.

I was never a big Black Crows fan. Around that time, I was heavily into Eddie Boyd, Memphis Minnie, Robert Johnson, Buddy Guy and the like. As of late I've developed an "Alternative Country' addiction. Hey, at least they can play like the old dudes.

As of late I've developed an "Alternative Country' addiction. Hey, at least they can play like the old dudes.

What sort of alt-country stuff are you listening to? Ryan Adams' first album is really good (the rest are good, too, but the first, Heartbreaker, is the only true "country" album he's done). Uncle Tupelo is alright, though it's kind of hard to listen to a bunch of hipsters from Chicago try to sing songs about growing up poor in the south. Have you heard of Drive-By Truckers? They're more of a southern rock sound, which is actually closer to Lynyrd Skynyrd than the Allmans, but they rock pretty hard and they're pretty much the only real southern rock band left.

What sort of alt-country stuff are you listening to? Ryan Adams' first album is really good (the rest are good, too, but the first, Heartbreaker, is the only true "country" album he's done). Uncle Tupelo is alright, though it's kind of hard to listen to a bunch of hipsters from Chicago try to sing songs about growing up poor in the south. Have you heard of Drive-By Truckers? They're more of a southern rock sound, which is actually closer to Lynyrd Skynyrd than the Allmans, but they rock pretty hard and they're pretty much the only real southern rock band left.
Tell us more about Drive-By Truckers.

What have I been listening too......Freakwater, I like Uncle Tupelo and Wilco, Son Volt, The Meat Purveyors, The Avett Brothers (of course) Old Crow Medicine Show and some others I can't think of right now. I like the Drive-by Truckers, they sound a lot like like the Bottle Rockets or is it the other way around. :D I'm trying to think of something similar to compaire them to so Onedomino can get a sense of their style and two or three names keep coming to mind, or a combination thereof -Neil Young, "The Fabulous Thunderbirds'. and 'The Georgia Satellites . If that makes any sense.

I always found Ryan Adams to be a little too mellow for my taste, but he does have some good rocking tunes such as "when you're young'.

What have I been listening too......Freakwater, I like Uncle Tupelo and Wilco, Son Volt, The Meat Purveyors, The Avett Brothers (of course) Old Crow Medicine Show and some others I can't think of right now. I like the Drive-by Truckers, they sound a lot like like the Bottle Rockets or is it the other way around. :D I'm trying to think of something similar to compaire them to so Onedomino can get a sense of their style and two or three names keep coming to mind, or a combination thereof -Neil Young, "The Fabulous Thunderbirds'. and 'The Georgia Satellites . If that makes any sense.

I always found Ryan Adams to be a little too mellow for my taste, but he does have some good rocking tunes such as "when you're young'.
Thank you, I'll check them out.

In that case, you should check out his album "Rock & Roll", and also, maybe, "Gold". The former is a straight-ahead rock/punk album, but it's pretty good, "Gold" still has the country feel, but it's got a little more rock mixed in there.

Onedomino, Drive-By Truckers play music that sounds like.... If you took Lynyrd Skynyrd, cranked up the amps even louder, added the very slightest hint of jam-bandiness, and a whole lot of Jack and PBR. That makes no sense, I know. Here's what amazon.com says:

You don't need a bottle of Jack or even a trace of Southern lineage to appreciate the genius of Drive-By Truckers' Southern Rock Opera. Without a hint of irony, the Athens, Georgia, quintet creates a fast-driving, hard-living tribute to the indelible music and legacy of Lynyrd Skynyrd.

This album, Southern Rock Opera, is their best, I think, though I've heard their new one is good, as well.

Also, it's a little hard to find, but their lead singer, Patterson Hood, put out a great solo album of acoustic guitar songs that he recorded alone in his dining room. It's sort of haunting, but still good, like Springsteen's "Nebraska". Plus the dude's a really nice guy and puts on a hell of a live show.

Onedomino, Drive-By Truckers play music that sounds like.... If you took Lynyrd Skynyrd, cranked up the amps even louder, added the very slightest hint of jam-bandiness, and a whole lot of Jack and PBR. That makes no sense, I know. Here's what amazon.com says:

That's the 'word' I'm looking for. The Bottle Rockets have the same type of sound. It's almost as though they've managed to master that sound only found in bars or small venues and record it. I've never heard anything like it.

Peach Heads will dig this, 10:03 of Whipping Post, live from 1970, with Duane Allman and Barry Oakley: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvXKbB8laU4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvXKbB8laU4[/ame]

Forum List

Back