All the summer jobs I had as a kid have been taken over by grown men.

I'm talking about odd-jobs a under 16 year-old would perform in the out of school months like mowing yards, farm/orchard work, cleaning-up around a shop of some sort, and the other things that would put a jingle in the pocket of a 12-15 year old.

WTF has happened to this country? :dunno:
The.exporting of industries to China will have this effect. Then you bring in many illegal immigrants who are paid under the table and you have an economic travesty waiting to occur.

I'm talking about odd-jobs a under 16 year-old would perform in the out of school months like mowing yards, farm/orchard work, cleaning-up around a shop of some sort, and the other things that would put a jingle in the pocket of a 12-15 year old.

Automation has taken the jobs that adults used to do, those that cannot adapt to that end up doing these sorts of jobs.

Illegal immigration.

Take it up with the employers.

Automation has taken the jobs that adults used to do, those that cannot adapt to that end up doing these sorts of jobs.
Well tossing/stacking hay bails has pretty much died out what with everyone round bailing except for boutique farms.....Hell, they want to put farmers in jail for letting kids under 13 drive a tractor to move round bails now.

I worked elbow-to-elbow with these folks ... entire families ... good honest people, our country could use more ...

what about encouraging our own kids to work? where is the national message, that hard work is a good thing? this is also part of the problem. I believe that used to be the message years ago. With hard work came pride, there was nothing wrong with it.. now its looked down on.

what about encouraging our own kids to work? where is the national message, that hard work is a good thing? this is also part of the problem. I believe that used to be the message years ago. With hard work came pride, there was nothing wrong with it.. now its looked down on.

Because it's quicker to do the job ourselves than it is to be a parent and supervise a child to do the work ... "it's the school system's job to raise my child, or why am I paying all these taxes for" ...

Imagine a 14-, 12- and 11- year-old helping me roll trusses ... funny as shit but it worked ...

Here in Texas the mexicans took all of those jobs.
The kids now days think yard work is below them because it's a mexican job.
Same thing in fast food.

Paper delivery sure died.
I had two routes before I could actually go work a job.
Delivered to 250 houses, rain, shine, or snow with a bicycle and towing a cart. Up Sunday morning at 4am to prep the big Sunday edition.
Now what little newspapers go out are delivered by adults in cars.

Paper delivery sure died.
I had two routes before I could actually go work a job.
Delivered to 250 houses, rain, shine, or snow with a bicycle and towing a cart. Up Sunday morning at 4am to prep the big Sunday edition.
Now what little newspapers go out are delivered by adults in cars.
Damned Internet!

Forum List

Back