Al Michaels Out at NBC

candycorn

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2009
Deep State Plant.

This is probably the end of the road for Michaels. He's had a great career. One of the great voices in sports. Right up there with Vin Scully, Marv Albert, Pat Summerall and others. When you hear the voice, you know who it is and you know its a sporting event...or thanks to a weird set of circumstances...in Pat Summerall's case a commercial for True Value hardware stores. Neither here nor there but there was a college bowl game one year...I think it was the bluebonnet bowl down in Houston. Anyway, Channel 39 or 26 got the rights to it, somehow, and the only sponsor was True Value hardware stores. So every commerical...there was pat Summerall.

Anyway, Michaels, to me, lost a lot of my respect. I bought his book and downloaded it. Except for 2 chapters in his book, he doesn't narrate it. Like...really? I get it if you're just an author and you want to hire a linguist to read your work...but Michaels is one of the great voices of our time. And he doesn't read his own book? Couple that with his complaining about getting paid $15,000 (I think it was) for one afternoon of work on a movie (Costas got paid twice what he got paid and Michaels was upset).

Al will go down in history as one of the best play by play announcers of all time, and I think this year has been one of his hardest of his career, he has no chemistry with Kirk Herbstreit on Thursday night football, and he is not helping Al out much with his reluctance to add commentary, and the actual quality of these games have been awful, although the last couple weeks have been better.

Just another one of those awesome old white guys being replaced…I love it…Let‘s get this fucking war started already.
So to you, it's a war worth starting.
How do we pick sides?

I love Al Michaels, so am I on your side?

Al will go down in history as one of the best play by play announcers of all time, and I think this year has been one of his hardest of his career, he has no chemistry with Kirk Herbstreit on Thursday night football, and he is not helping Al out much with his reluctance to add commentary, and the actual quality of these games have been awful, although the last couple weeks have been better.
What got me was that when he was the guy running the Sunday night telecasts either last season or the one before that---he would take some Sundays off. He worked one game a week and he was taking nights off. I cut the cord so I only watch streaming so I'm not fully aware of what has gone on in the broadcast booths and such but I think he was stepping away already.

NBC might also be tired of paying him! Heaven knows how much it is after half a century of broadcasting! I don't remember him never being featured from The Olympics & Baseball World Series to Football & special events like The Network Stars competitions! He's an institution so this is shocking! :heehee: ;):rolleyes: :nono: :D

NBC might also be tired of paying him! Heaven knows how much it is after half a century of broadcasting! I don't remember him never being featured from The Olympics & Baseball World Series to Football & special events like The Network Stars competitions! He's an institution so this is shocking! :heehee: ;):rolleyes: :nono: :D
To pay someone is also to know what you are getting. John Madden was miles and miles better than Greg Olsen as color men. And Troy Aikman is a lot better than Olsen also. Olsen is to much a downer. Chris Collinsworth can be a downer at times.

Forum List

Back