Ahmaud Arbery sentencing.

So you run away and let them shoot you in the back rather than fight for your life, huh?
Funny how you hold all these evil motives in the minds of the three white dudes, but the black dude was just a nice honest law abiding citizen minding his own business. Lol

Okay fine. Greg gets a lengthy sentence but not life without parole, because Arbery attacked him. Arbery holds some level of responsibility for his death.
He holds responsibility for being chased down, trapped like a rat, and murdered??

:cuckoo:

Funny how you hold all these evil motives in the minds of the three white dudes, but the black dude was just a nice honest law abiding citizen minding his own business. Lol
He was not a law abiding citizen? What crime did he commit (in relation to his murder)?

Why didn't they just call the police? No reason to have guns in the back of a truck stopping people. That's crazy. Call the police.

Okay fine. Greg gets a lengthy sentence but not life without parole, because Arbery attacked him. Arbery holds some level of responsibility for his death.

Arbery was, under Georgia Law acting in self defense.

Let’s play this out. A man threatens to kill you. He threatens to blow your head off. You have no phone. You can’t call for help. You are isolated. What do you do?

In the Army we were taught that you take one with you. You go down fighting.

On the streets where I grew up. You fought for your life.

You admit that Travis and Greg committed Aggravated Assault. That is a felony. These are hard core criminals. Who knows what they may do if you give up. They didn’t do one thing. They did several.

If it was you. You would assume these guys mean to kill you.

I asked you before. Three black guys surround you shouting at you to stop. They even threaten to blow your head off.

You know they aren’t cops or they would say stop police. You know you haven’t done anything wrong. So what do these people mean to do to you?

I’m betting you would go down fighting. I’m betting you would grasp at the thin reed. Where you fight and win against overwhelming odds.

Put yourself in Arberys shoes. Imagine three Black guys chasing you and hitting you with their cars. Imagine them threatening to kill you. Now. Honestly tell me you wouldn’t fight when you felt you had nothing left. When your last desperate dodge is being cut off by Travis.

Anyone would fight. It is totally reasonable. It is the very premise behind the self defense argument. Armed men threaten your life. You have a right. A natural right to take whatever actions are needed to defend yourself.

Let’s play this out. A man threatens to kill you. He threatens to blow your head off. You have no phone. You can’t call for help. You are isolated. What do you do?

You admit that Travis and Greg committed Aggravated Assault. That is a felony. These are hard core criminals. Who knows what they may do if you give up. They didn’t do one thing. They did several.

I asked you before. Three black guys surround you shouting at you to stop. They even threaten to blow your head off.

You know they aren’t cops or they would say stop police. You know you haven’t done anything wrong. So what do these people mean to do to you?

I’m betting you would go down fighting. I’m betting you would grasp at the thin reed. Where you fight and win against overwhelming odds.

Put yourself in Arberys shoes. Imagine three Black guys chasing you and hitting you with their cars. Imagine them threatening to kill you. Now. Honestly tell me you wouldn’t fight when you felt you had nothing left. When your last desperate dodge is being cut off by Travis.

Anyone would fight. It is totally reasonable. It is the very premise behind the self defense argument. Armed men threaten your life. You have a right. A natural right to take whatever actions are needed to defend yourself.
Okay. That makes sense. I don’t know what transpired before the shooting. If Arbery had an opportunity to get away, he should have taken it. He’d likely still be alive today had he.

Was race an issue? Sure. But it wasn’t the dominant issue. It isn’t why the McMichaels were not charged on the day. It isn’t why they were eventually charged months later. That was due entirely to the Good Old Boys Network. That is the local name for the corruption that exists.

Now, to those outside Georgia, it is all about Race. And it reared it’s ugly head as it went along. But the Prosecutor, Judge, and fellow Georgian’s all focused on the law, and the actions.

I’ve said this before. But people who say that Arbery would still be alive if he hadn’t grabbed the gun. The truth is that even if that is true. The McMichaels and probably Roddy would still be headed to Prison. Because they broke several laws before the killing, which is why the Prosecution explained it and walked the jury through it like they did.

There is always an emotional component to any trial. But if we are to set that aside, and look at the facts, and the law, and what the law represents. Then we have to conclude the McMichaels were guilty.

They armed up and set off in pursuit. That could be considered Aggravated Assault all by itself, tough to get a conviction, but possible.

They pulled up and told Arbery to stop, we want to talk to you. He refused, and doubled back according to their statement. His right.

Roddy joined in, and they tried to block his path with their trucks, and even bump him off the road. That is now attempted False Imprisonment. And it is Aggravated Assault. Two felonies, ten years max on the False Imprisonment, and Twenty on the Aggravated Assault. So now the McMichaels and Roddy are Felons, before Travis got out of the truck.

Now, the McMichaels were apparently, it isn’t said during the trial, but I believe that they expected to find Travis’s stolen pistol on Arbery when they stopped him. That would prove to the cops that he was a thief, but the problem with the Ends justifies the Means method, is if you are wrong, you’re the biggest loser.

It is going all in, with Prison as the prize for the guy who is wrong. That’s the way Georgia has handled these sorts of things for generations. It is one of the reasons that many businesses hire off duty cops to provide security. The cops have a lot of authority and rights that anyone else, including uniformed Security Guards, don’t have.

I said above, what the law means. In Georgia, nobody is going to charge you with a crime if you shoot a baddie in your house. If Arbery had broken into the McMichael’s house and been killed there, there would have been no problem. And there are plenty of news stories out there to back that up, even when the miscreant is black.

But when you as a citizens chase someone down, they had better be a serious criminal. Again this is the attitude and ideals of Georgia Residents. This guy had better be something serious. Rapist, Robber, Murderer. Something big. Not some small time crap head.

Because the penalties for being wrong are so stiff, it is one of the reasons that Stores rarely try and stop someone for shoplifting. If the person doesn’t have the item on them when the cops arrive, if they dumped it when you weren’t looking, and you can’t prove they dropped it outside the store, you’re the one going to jail.

Now, to the point where Travis is outside the truck. I knew seeing that video that Travis was fucked. Because that is the literal example of Aggravated Assault in Georgia. You just don’t do that. You can open carry, but you best not be waving the bang stick around shouting at someone to stop.

I don’t know if the McMichaels knew this, but they didn’t ever tell Arbery that he was under arrest. One of the vital pieces of action you have to take. It allowed the citizen to exercise lawful authority over another. It is an extreme action, and should be done only when you’re sure and when the risk of the offender escaping is too great.

Yet, without that declaration, it wasn’t a lawful Citizens Arrest, even if they had seen him commit a crime. It was just three guys assaulting a third without that statement.

As I said. Even if Arbery had stopped, the McMichaels would still be headed to prison.
That was a very good response.. Yes I always thought that they messed up, but some of the findings or issues seemed to have serious gray area's in the trial, but hopefully future civilian arrest person's will learn some important lesson's from all this. Just like training for firearm's, it is very important to know the law's.

Good debate... Ok, but if 3 black guy's in a black neighborhood saw me leaving a property in which they felt I wasn't supposed to be at (I'm white), and they thought that I may have been stealing, so they jump in their rides with their gun's and drive up next to me telling me to stop they want to talk with me then what do I do ????

If innocent I might stop and ask what's up brother ? Then they might ask me what was you doing back there on pastor Riley's property where he's having a house built ? I'd say next, well I was just jogging through the neighborhood, and was interested in the floor plan, so I just stopped in to take a look. The three black's look at each other and say man we ain't buying that bull crap, so we think you were stealing. Next they pull their gun and say now we are going to detain you until the law gets here. What do you think that I would do next ???

Forum List

Back