Advice on trading in vehicle

initforme

Gold Member
Apr 23, 2011
So my son asks me if this is a good time to trade in his truck since he likes my newer one. He has a 2016 f150 with 40,000 miles. It is in perfect condition. Is this a good time to trade in? Or bad? I read conflicting articles. He'd like a 2020 with a certain engine for hauling a camper trailer. He does like his current truck a ton but needs one step up to town better. Any advice? Used trucks are pricey. But I was told he'd get more than usual for his trade. Then again is this offset by the higher prices?

So my son asks me if this is a good time to trade in his truck since he likes my newer one. He has a 2016 f150 with 40,000 miles. It is in perfect condition. Is this a good time to trade in? Or bad? I read conflicting articles. He'd like a 2020 with a certain engine for hauling a camper trailer. He does like his current truck a ton but needs one step up to town better. Any advice? Used trucks are pricey. But I was told he'd get more than usual for his trade. Then again is this offset by the higher prices?
My advice is don't trade it in. 40K on a truck is nothing and it's got a lot of use left in it.

This is the worst time to buy a car. We (the auto industry) have raised the prices on everything due to the chip shortage/lack of inventory.

Most of the car lots in my city are slim pickings because of the chip shortage.

Just broken in! Keep it till the wheels fall off. Don't pull a camper. Buy or rent a (motorized) camper as needed.
Or perhaps rent the bigger truck when its time to pull the camper (which he may already own). The benefit of pulling a camper rather than the motorized camper is that one can park the camper as in setting up camp and still drive the truck to local attractions near camp if need be.

Don't trade it in , sell it. You will get enough money for a down payment and some money to keep in your pocket. That is if his truck is paid off.

He already owns the camper. He upgraded to a bigger one. He has the smaller Ecoboost which has done well. It will pull the trailer but he wants the 3.5 to town more efficiently. The consensus is don't trade in now. Advice appreciated.

If he needs a truck with a larger engine for towing a camper, that kind of nullifies the "is it a good time" question, as there's a need to be addressed.

If his current truck will tow the camper, then it comes down to what he wants. As Blues Man said, 40K is nothing on a truck, so there'd be no huge hit on the trade-in. But, as has also been mentioned, this isn't the best time to be buying, either.

I used to pull a "pop-up" trailer with a 1993 GMC Sonoma with a V-6. It worked well, but I wouldn't have wanted to try to drag a full-size trailer with it...

My advice is don't trade it in. 40K on a truck is nothing and it's got a lot of use left in it.
Yep. Used like new pickup's available on the lots with warranties are ridiculous right now. Many times listing for more than they sold for new 2 years ago.

I wouldn't buy unless I could pay cash. Financing sucks......sucks lots of money for a very long time.

A friend of mine bought a brand new chevy truck on 2019 and traded it for a small suv because his wife didn't like it. He got what he paid for it on the trade. Trucks are getting hard to find because of the BS flu and the gov killing off businesses.

My dealer sent me an email saying they'd buy my 16 Tundra for 26K.
I'm like fuck that!!! It's paid for and only has 11,400K on it. Not to mention all the custom shit on it, TRD dual exhaust,wheels and tires,5 inch lift,TRD Sway bars front and rear,aftermarket rear bumper,lower gears front and back,TRD intake....etc.

They want to give me 26K so they can turn around and sell it for 38K if not more.
Yeah...I dont think so!!

Last edited:
My dealer sent me an email saying they'd buy my 16 Tundra for 26K.
I'm like fuck that!!! It's paid for and only has 11,400K on it. Not to mention all the custom shit on it,wheels and tires,5 inch lift,TRD Sway bars front and rear,aftermarket rear bumper,lower gears front and back,TRD intake....etc.

They want to give me 26K so they can turn around and sell it for 38K if not more.
Yeah...I dont think so!!
Sounds like the plan. They say it is because of a chip shortage. It has been long enough. I am thinking "chip shortage" is the excuse of the day for wanting a price hike on used pickup trucks and justifying the absolutely outrageous new pickup prices.

Sounds like the plan. They say it is because of a chip shortage. It has been long enough. I am thinking "chip shortage" is the excuse of the day for wanting a price hike on used pickup trucks and justifying the absolutely outrageous new pickup prices.

It's fucked up alright.
They want to give me 26K for this truck.....HELL NO!!!
277A0DDD-3203-425B-892C-CAC22C87F170.jpeg

Forum List

Back