Advice for a simple man, please.

Wake

Easygoing Conservative
Jun 11, 2013
I'm confused on this reputation thing, to be honest with you.

These things "
reputation_green.gif
" are a bit confusing. It's a point of reputation. You can get quite a few of them and they're indicators of one's rep. However, there's also this: "Rep Power: 49." I just got +repped twice, and that number didn't change, but I got a few more of those green bar thingies.

Also, I see this message on my CP above Rep notifications: "48551 point(s) total." It was at around 4,000 or so a day or two ago.

How does this all work, please? :redface:

The little colored "pills" and stars I don't pay much attention to. The only thing that "matters" is the Rep Power. Take that number and compare it to the number of post someone has made and you have the real reputation. For instance if someone has 800 rep power and 8000 posts, and someone else has only 400 points but has only 2000 posts...the guy with 400 points has a better reputation.
Some only look at the Rep power, but the real number is the rep points divided by number of posts.
Just my 2 cents.

I've always had a bit of problem with reps. Give someone a negative rep and they'll go after you in an unbelievable manner. As for positive, no one seems to respond or care.

I take the easy way and generally deal with "thanks" for those I like and giving the thumbs down for those I think are overboard.

I've always had a bit of problem with reps. Give someone a negative rep and they'll go after you in an unbelievable manner. As for positive, no one seems to respond or care.

I take the easy way and generally deal with "thanks" for those I like and giving the thumbs down for those I think are overboard.

I apologize if I haven't responded to the positive rep I'm given. I really don't pay any attention to it unless I'm giving it out, so I miss the opportunity to thank someone.

To everyone who has given me positive rep:

THANK YOU

I never neg rep....ever.

I'm confused on this reputation thing, to be honest with you.

These things "
reputation_green.gif
" are a bit confusing. It's a point of reputation. You can get quite a few of them and they're indicators of one's rep. However, there's also this: "Rep Power: 49." I just got +repped twice, and that number didn't change, but I got a few more of those green bar thingies.

Also, I see this message on my CP above Rep notifications: "48551 point(s) total." It was at around 4,000 or so a day or two ago.

How does this all work, please? :redface:

Here's a good introduction to the reputation system:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/intro...tation-101-reps-for-newbie-s-of-the-usmb.html

The pills at the bottom are an indication of how far towards the next rep power point you are. The stars and what not above are for having reached a certain level I never quite have been able to decipher.
If a couple people with a rep power of, say 100 rep you, you will see more green pills, but your rep power likely won't change.
If someone with about 6,000 reps you, you will see your rep power rise by 6 (1,000 rep point = 1 point of rep power.
Neg reps are half value, so logically, you should normally go up in rep power even if you get the occasional neg rep.
If you find your rep power going down, you have obviously made some enemies.
Pay attention to the Members who show red bricks and splats and a rep power of zero.
Avoid their mistakes.

The way I understand "rep" is: post well, treat people with respect, do not use it as a weapon and don't pay too much attention to it and your rep will grow geometrically. It is like penny candy from the corner drug store; log on get a nice PM and it puts a smile on your face...:)

The pills at the bottom are an indication of how far towards the next rep power point you are. The stars and what not above are for having reached a certain level I never quite have been able to decipher.
If a couple people with a rep power of, say 100 rep you, you will see more green pills, but your rep power likely won't change.
If someone with about 6,000 reps you, you will see your rep power rise by 6 (1,000 rep point = 1 point of rep power.
Neg reps are half value, so logically, you should normally go up in rep power even if you get the occasional neg rep.
Pay attention to the Members who show red bricks and splats and a rep power of zero.
Avoid their mistakes.

It's also not a bad idea to lokk skeptically on those who opt out of the rep system.

Avoid their mistakes.

It's also not a bad idea to lokk skeptically on those who opt out of the rep system.
This is true. I believe that no one should be able to opt out or to turn off rep display. Reputation is the only measure a new member has to judge the credibility of a member here.
Since the option to opt out became available, just one person opted out for altruistic reasons and she has decided to return to using the system.

USMB has a half dozen fairly regular members who were allowed to opt out once they had received 2, 3 or 5 red splats and another half dozen who have not opted out, but have simply turned the graphic display off.
So, what we now have is a dozen people who hide behind the board software so that it is no longer instantly apparent how they are regarded by their peers.

I say ALL members who have opted out or turned off the display should be returned to "in and on".

I apologize if I haven't responded to the positive rep I'm given. I really don't pay any attention to it unless I'm giving it out, so I miss the opportunity to thank someone.

To everyone who has given me positive rep:

THANK YOU

I never neg rep....ever.

Me too...for a long time I said thank you every time, but then I didn't get thank you's a lot when I repped someone. So I just stopped saying it also.
I always appreciate it though.

I guess I just turned mine off because the score still shows and I've never been able to figure out those darn medals and bars anyway, LOL.

BTW-I always thank for rep but if you don't have your PM's turned on for rep or if the other person doesn't have PM's enabled, then you can't but they still show up in the users's CP.

And I pretty much agree with Connery about being respectful and I also agree that most of those who opt out are doing so because of the hits they've taken.

PS-I think I'll go turn mine back on after reading this.

I guess I just turned mine off because the score still shows and I've never been able to figure out those darn medals and bars anyway, LOL.

The medals are awards for reaching so many rep points, how many is a mystery, but I think I remember that you max out around 400.
The bars below are, I think, like a gas gauge to show how close to the next 1,000 you are when you will go up another point.

You have to consider that when the system was started, you had to get positive rep a couple hundred times to go up one point. As people got more and more rep, the rate of increase accelerated to the point where if I like what you have to say, you go up nearly 6 points in one fell swoop.

The medals are awards for reaching so many rep points, how many is a mystery, but I think I remember that you max out around 400.
The bars below are, I think, like a gas gauge to show how close to the next 1,000 you are when you will go up another point.

You have to consider that when the system was started, you had to get positive rep a couple hundred times to go up one point. As people got more and more rep, the rate of increase accelerated to the point where if I like what you have to say, you go up nearly 6 points in one fell swoop.

I remember when I joined, the highest number of "Reputation Power" points were held by CaliforniaGirl and EZ (800 ) and boedicca, 700, and I recall the actual Reputation Value ( reps per post count ) were between 5 and 8. Many posters were discussing it. And many posters had much less. That was February, 2010. Wow....time has flown, and reps have grown....lol

Last edited:
Avoid their mistakes.

This is true. I believe that no one should be able to opt out or to turn off rep display. Reputation is the only measure a new member has to judge the credibility of a member here.
Since the option to opt out became available, just one person opted out for altruistic reasons and she has decided to return to using the system.

USMB has a half dozen fairly regular members who were allowed to opt out once they had received 2, 3 or 5 red splats and another half dozen who have not opted out, but have simply turned the graphic display off.
So, what we now have is a dozen people who hide behind the board software so that it is no longer instantly apparent how they are regarded by their peers.

I say ALL members who have opted out or turned off the display should be returned to "in and on".

Sometimes being out of the rep system is punishment.

I remember when I joined, the highest number of "Reputation Power" points were held by CaliforniaGirl and EZ (800 ) and boedicca, 700, and I recall the actual Reputation Value ( reps per post count ) were between 5 and 8. Many posters were discussing it. And many posters had much less. That was February, 2010. Wow....time has flown, and reps have grown....lol

10 months later, CG was about 1000. I figured it would take me 5 years to make 1000.
Then, if I said something witty, I could get CG, Syrenn and Foxfyre to rep me and I may go up 3 points. Today, that combination would be 20.

Forum List

Back