...about those alleged 'requested pardons'...

Chillicothe

Platinum Member
Feb 14, 2021
I'm kinda positive, I think, that most posters to this forum watched with interest the Committee hearing held Thursday night. During it you heard Congressman Cheney assert that some Congressman sought pardons before Trump left office. Pardons for their efforts in the alleged 'coup' by Trump and associates...that most dramatically culminated in the attack on Congress and the Capitol on January 6th.

I personally found that a startling revelation. And, if true, am eager to hear who these legislators would be (if my own Republican representative is one of them, well, I'll assert right now I will promptly write a letter to the state's leading newspaper editors articulating why he must resign from office.)

Anyway, putting aside my own intentions "if" that comes to pass, lemme offer the forum what CBS reported today:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" During the proceedings last week, committee Vice Chair Liz Cheney, a Republican from Wyoming, revealed "multiple" GOP congressmen sought presidential pardons for their roles in attempting to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election.

Rep. Adam Kinzinger, one of the Republicans who sits on the House select committee examining the Jan. 6 assault on the U.S. Capitol, said Sunday that the panel will unveil evidence in upcoming hearings that Republican members of Congress sought pardons from former President Donald Trump in his final weeks in office.

"We're not going to make accusations or say things without proof or evidence backing it," Kinzinger, of Illinois, said in an interview with "Face the Nation" when asked about the revelation last week that GOP lawmakers sought presidential pardons.

Kinzinger, like Cheney last week, declined to divulge how many Republicans sought pardons but said the committee will release more information about those efforts during hearings this week.

"Why would you ask for a pardon? Let's just say in general, if somebody asks for a pardon it would be because they have real concern that maybe they've done something illegal," he said."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Indeed, why ask for a pardon unless you felt you did something illegal?

I'm kinda positive, I think, that most posters to this forum watched with interest the Committee hearing held Thursday night. During it you heard Congressman Cheney assert that some Congressman sought pardons before Trump left office. Pardons for their efforts in the alleged 'coup' by Trump and associates...that most dramatically culminated in the attack on Congress and the Capitol on January 6th.

I personally found that a startling revelation. And, if true, am eager to hear who these legislators would be (if my own Republican representative is one of them, well, I'll assert right now I will promptly write a letter to the state's leading newspaper editors articulating why he must resign from office.)

Anyway, putting aside my own intentions "if" that comes to pass, lemme offer the forum what CBS reported today:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" During the proceedings last week, committee Vice Chair Liz Cheney, a Republican from Wyoming, revealed "multiple" GOP congressmen sought presidential pardons for their roles in attempting to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election.

Rep. Adam Kinzinger, one of the Republicans who sits on the House select committee examining the Jan. 6 assault on the U.S. Capitol, said Sunday that the panel will unveil evidence in upcoming hearings that Republican members of Congress sought pardons from former President Donald Trump in his final weeks in office.

"We're not going to make accusations or say things without proof or evidence backing it," Kinzinger, of Illinois, said in an interview with "Face the Nation" when asked about the revelation last week that GOP lawmakers sought presidential pardons.

Kinzinger, like Cheney last week, declined to divulge how many Republicans sought pardons but said the committee will release more information about those efforts during hearings this week.

"Why would you ask for a pardon? Let's just say in general, if somebody asks for a pardon it would be because they have real concern that maybe they've done something illegal," he said."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why don't you investigate ACTUAL PARDONS of KNOWN CRIMINALS like MARC RICH?

I'm kinda' positive that most posters had better things to do with their lives than waste time watching that...

OK, that's a not unfair comment.
Regardless, poster Canon Shooter, how do you feel about Republican Congressman requesting pre-emptive pardons before Trump left office......to sidestep any culpability they may have for the events of January 6th.

Honestly, that seems rather, ummm, 'sketchy' to me.
You too?

How stupid are Republicans to think Trump would give them a pardon?

Trump cares only for himself

Why don't you investigate ACTUAL PARDONS of KNOWN CRIMINALS like MARC RICH?

Why?
Well, for one, I'm just a long retired old guy in Carharts who farms a bit. Don't really have any authority or jurisdiction over anyone's criminal behavior.

And second, at my age I'm kinda interested in the here and now, and not fussin' a whole lot about a criminal who was pardoned 21 years ago, and who died 9 years ago. But that's just me.

Speaking of the 'here & now' what do you think, poster Woodie, about today's legislators pre-emptively requesting a pardon from the soon to depart President in order to dodge any culpability for the events of January 6th?

Why?
Well, for one, I'm just a long retired old guy in Carharts who farms a bit. Don't really have any authority or jurisdiction over anyone's criminal behavior.

And second, at my age I'm kinda interested in the here and now, and not fussin' a whole lot about a criminal who was pardoned 21 years ago, and who died 9 years ago. But that's just me.
Well, I guess senility is an excuse. Do you have FirstAlert?

Well, I guess senility is an excuse. Do you have FirstAlert?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, you don't have any considered thoughts you can articulate for the discussion about legislators allegedly asking for pre-emptive pardons to sidestep their culpability for the attack of January 6th?

If so, I find that sad.
I was looking forward to reading your perceptive insights.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, you don't have any considered thoughts you can articulate for the discussion about legislators allegedly asking for pre-emptive pardons to sidestep their culpability for the attack of January 6th?
Read the highlighted words in your post. I don't engage in gossip or illogical presumptions.

Regardless, poster Canon Shooter, how do you feel about Republican Congressman requesting pre-emptive pardons before Trump left office......to sidestep any culpability they may have for the events of January 6th.

You too?

It doesn't seem sketchy to me at all, considering who had the control of the House and Senate. The democrats were coming off the rails, going after anyone they could even remotely try to tie to something nefarious.

"Oh, he got a Christmas card from the Trumps? INVESTIGATE!!!"

No, requesting pardons wasn't a bad idea...

is there actual proof anyone did or is this more parody?

"is there actual proof anyone did or is this more parody?"

I dunno. I'm merely a disinterested reporter of what CBS reported.
Kissinger in his interview seems to indicate there is.
But let's let the cake bake before you jump to conclusions.
If there is a there there.....we'll find out soon enough.
Betcha.

Thought it pertinent to the various discussions on this venue.

Betcha.

If you are so 'disinterested' what are you doing here being so interested? BTW CBS 'reports' Democrat talking points only.

You too?
Let's see your proof, first! Oh, wait! That's right! No one has any!

Betcha.

Henry Kissinger? Who are you talking about?

The legislators who asked for pardons are Mo Brooks of Alabama, Matt Gaetz of Florida, Andy Biggs of Arizona, Louie Gohmert of Texas, Scott Perry of Pennsylvania, and Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia.

Matt Gaetz's pardon request may have been unrelated to January 6. He might have been seeking a pardon for grooming and molesting children.

Forum List

Back