About Cucumber Plants....

Darlene

Silver Member
Jul 26, 2014
Missouri, United States
Where I live, we have a fruit and veggie garden.

I think we have too many cucumber plants.

The vines are getting so long that they are getting tangled and "choking out" some of the cucumbers.
Is it possible and plausible to trim the vines?
I don't know how that would affect the plant as a whole but trying to pick the cucumbers is a pain in the ass.

OH, a little off topic.....how do you tell if watermelons and cantaloupes are ripe?

The vines are getting so long that they are getting tangled and "choking out" some of the cucumbers.
I don't know how that would affect the plant as a whole but trying to pick the cucumbers is a pain in the ass.

OH, a little off topic.....how do you tell if watermelons and cantaloupes are ripe?

Yes, you can trim your cucumber vines. :)

How to Trim Cucumber Vines Home Guides SF Gate

You are so lucky Darlene. I wish I had the space for a garden. Even if I did, the squirrels would probably just destroy everything. The buggers!!!

Sure you can trim/prune them, but this late in the season you might not get much new growth to produce more cukes....it will mainly depend on the weather in your area.

watermelon is the only vine that I have had problems with pruning. It seems like if you just whack a few leaves off or nick them with a weedeater, they just collapse and die.

On the plus side, I went out and bought me a bunch of broccoli, Brussels Sprouts and red cabbage plants today. Since my closing on my new house was moved up, I am going to plant something there that is edible for fall even if I won't have proper garden space until next year at the very earliest and then it will take be a couple more to get it conditioned/composted for big yields as I will be starting off with crappy red clay. that produces a bountiful crop of crab grass.

Forum List

Back