A Walk Down Memory Lane

Lumpy 1

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2009
I started a thread on Big Bands and Mom's music, now, I'm just taking a walk down memory lane..join me if you'd like.

I was recalling helping Mom with the laundry, cranking the clothes between 2 rollers and handing her clothes pegs or pins as she hung the clothes on the clothes lines..

3 channels on the black & white TV..

Being gone from breakfast to just before dinner, "or else"...:lol:

and..

Last edited:
milk being delivered to a silver box on your porch along with butter and eggs. the honor system at the gas station on sundays. they were closed but the pump was open. you left your money in the cigar box on top of the pump.

Charley Chips potato chips in a big tin can,and getting milk straight from the bulk tank ,driving too the farm up the road in my grand dads Pontiac Chieftain that was a car.

milk being delivered to a silver box on your porch along with butter and eggs. the honor system at the gas station on sundays. they were closed but the pump was open. you left your money in the cigar box on top of the pump.

My dad used to drive a milk "truck" in Philly. He had one of the girth straps from his "engine" for years afterwards.

When I lived in Seattle, about 10-12 years ago, you could still do this. There is a dairy farm that delivers to your home. You get a silver box for the porch, and they deliver milk, eggs, butter, cheese, yogurt, and even chocolate chip cookie dough. You have to order a minimum of 1/2 gallon of milk a week. You pay once a month. I think they probably still do this. It isn't cheap, but it isn't that much more than at the store.

I remember being allowed to watch the first "Star Trek" episode while we were staying at a hotel because my Dad was transferring from Pendleton to Camp LeJeune.

My dad was addicted to the original Star Trek TV show. He'd settle down in his easy chair when it was on; no one was allowed to even consider watching anything else (only one TV in the house). About half way through the program he'd usually fall asleep, but as soon as you tried to change the channel he'd wake up and growl, "Turn it back, I'm watching that!"

Cigarettes were a quarter and Mom would send me to the store to buy her a pack...when I was 10.
No ID required.

When I lived in Seattle, about 10-12 years ago, you could still do this. There is a dairy farm that delivers to your home. You get a silver box for the porch, and they deliver milk, eggs, butter, cheese, yogurt, and even chocolate chip cookie dough. You have to order a minimum of 1/2 gallon of milk a week. You pay once a month. I think they probably still do this. It isn't cheap, but it isn't that much more than at the store.

It may no doubt be better than store-bought.

I remember being allowed to watch the first "Star Trek" episode while we were staying at a hotel because my Dad was transferring from Pendleton to Camp LeJeune.

My dad was addicted to the original Star Trek TV show. He'd settle down in his easy chair when it was on; no one was allowed to even consider watching anything else (only one TV in the house). About half way through the program he'd usually fall asleep, but as soon as you tried to change the channel he'd wake up and growl, "Turn it back, I'm watching that!"

I know what you mean. I was totally shocked when my Dad retired and started (not only) watching sports, but recording the games he could not see at the same time.
Remember when CBS, NBC, and ABC were the only channels, and they had that test pattern when they went off the air each night?

Cigarettes were a quarter and Mom would send me to the store to buy her a pack...when I was 10.
No ID required.

Penny candy was a penny, or less. The lending library was close to where we went for penny candy. I remember browsing the stacks for books. We used to spend days in the woods, from just after breakfast and chores until just before dinner.

My dad used to drive a milk "truck" in Philly. He had one of the girth straps from his "engine" for years afterwards.

Milk delivery, bread delivery, ice cream & candy trucks ..them were the days.

you can still get it where i live now in NY. same thing, it is not cheap. but there are also quite a few stores that offer delivered that day from the farm dairy products. it helps that there are a lot of dairy farms in the area

i remember a big event was the annual rumage sale. it was held in the school gym. like a week went into preparing for this thing. and there was a lot of good stuff to be had.

the other thing i remember was the whole family religiously sitting around the TV to watch the newest episode of their favorite TV shows. you never missed them, no matter what. before we had VCR's and dvd's, you couldn't wait for the charlie brown christmas special and great pumpkin.

i also remember every year setting up the electric train under the christmas tree. Helping my dad check every lightbulb for the decorations. taking the TV tubes to the general store to test them.

the memorial day parade was another huge event. decking out bikes out with streamers and cards on the spokes. flags all over. following the parade to the termination point at firemans field four the picnic afterwards. everyone in town showed up, and everyone knew each other. all the burgers and dogs you could eat, all the birch beer you could drink. Afterwards enough candy and ice cream to make you sick. games and races all day long. you never wanted the day to end.

Black and white photos. Reading a book, a paper book. :)

I remember the string around my neck that held my roller skate key. You know..the ones that clamped to oxford shoes? And I remember the sound and feel of those skates as I booked around the block on the sidewalk. Back then...we could do that without fear of being abducted by a perv.

you can still get it where i live now in NY. same thing, it is not cheap. but there are also quite a few stores that offer delivered that day from the farm dairy products. it helps that there are a lot of dairy farms in the area

Is it pasteurized? didn't think they could sell in store unpasteurized milk,we got ours right from the cow,had to shake it up every time you got some the cream would settle on top,the farm wa in the southern tier of NY not nearly as many farms as there were ,but still alot around.

I remember when Hockey was the original 6 and listening to games on the radio. Baseball was an American sport back then but we still picked up some games. Montreal didn't get a team until the late 60's, but we knew of the teams from NY, Detroit and Chicago.

Forum List

Back