A temporary (?) Pandemic driven career change.

Crepitus

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2018
So, obviously consulting on security for large events is kinda in a slump at the moment. In fact I've done very little other than answer the phone for months.

In days of yor I owned and operated retail and repair for major home appliances. Sold it off to family members more than a decade ago. They've been telling me the calls for service are completely off the charts and they're turning away business by the boatload. I've always kept my hand in by doing volunteer work for shelters, halfway houses, battered women's shelters, and such so I'm pretty current on what's out there and I'm thinking it's time to get back into the business. Not working for my family members though. Independently. I used to charge $60 an hour flagged, my understanding is that's up to $80 these days, and I'm really reaching the point where I should stop spending and start earning after 8 months. I'm not really in trouble, but if I go much longer I'll have to tap into long term stuff and I don't wanna do that plus I'm terminally bored!

ya really should continue to shiver in place......and do your part as a non-essential
Why? I'm thinking home appliance repair is pretty essential at the moment. How would you like to be quarantined with no cold beer?

I made it into July before I took another gig. Collegiate photography dried up completely as colleges and universities shut down. Prior to July, the last "real" job I had was a job I left in Portland, Oregon in 2013. My photography calendar is starting to pick back up now, so I'm hoping to leave behind the "9-5" before too much longer...

ya really should continue to shiver in place......and do your part as a non-essential
Why? I'm thinking home appliance repair is pretty essential at the moment. How would you like to be quarantined with no cold beer?
Because your buds at CDC would approve. Sounds rather selfish coming from a non-essential...what do you think you are .....free......

I made it into July before I took another gig. Collegiate photography dried up completely as colleges and universities shut down. Prior to July, the last "real" job I had was a job I left in Portland, Oregon in 2013. My photography calendar is starting to pick back up now, so I'm hoping to leave behind the "9-5" before too much longer...
I hope you can.

Because your buds at CDC would approve. Sounds rather selfish coming from a non-essential...what do you think you are .....free......
What are you babbling about? Home repair and maintenance services are indeed essential personnel.

How about consulting on security for looting, arson, or theft? Or in some other ways.

Goodness knows there is need for that.

Risking your life and everyone else's just to make money........just live out your mantra you want forced on others and stay home.

So, obviously consulting on security for large events is kinda in a slump at the moment. In fact I've done very little other than answer the phone for months.

In days of yor I owned and operated retail and repair for major home appliances. Sold it off to family members more than a decade ago. They've been telling me the calls for service are completely off the charts and they're turning away business by the boatload. I've always kept my hand in by doing volunteer work for shelters, halfway houses, battered women's shelters, and such so I'm pretty current on what's out there and I'm thinking it's time to get back into the business. Not working for my family members though. Independently. I used to charge $60 an hour flagged, my understanding is that's up to $80 these days, and I'm really reaching the point where I should stop spending and start earning after 8 months. I'm not really in trouble, but if I go much longer I'll have to tap into long term stuff and I don't wanna do that plus I'm terminally bored!
Ya gotta do what you gotta go.

Good to know who you come to for advice. I usually try to do these repairs myself.

Forum List

Back