A suggested rule to improve moderation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lisa558

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2021
I am aware that moderators are members who are free to engage, just like any member, in a thread of interest.

The problem comes in when a moderator puts on her “member” hat to oppose or debate the OP (or any poster, really), and retains moderator capabilities to delete posts or move the entire thread to Badlands when it was originally started in a Zone 1 forum.

I suggest the following: any time a moderator is a participant on a thread - ESPECIALLY when debating the OP’s premise - she cannot simultaneously moderate that thread. The bias is obvious and she cannot objectively do to her “job.”

I am aware that moderators are members who are free to engage, just like any member, in a thread of interest.

The problem comes in when a moderator puts on her “member” hat to oppose or debate the OP (or any poster, really), and retains moderator capabilities to delete posts or move the entire thread to Badlands when it was originally started in a Zone 1 forum.

I suggest the following: any time a moderator is a participant on a thread - ESPECIALLY when debating the OP’s premise - she cannot simultaneously moderate that thread. The bias is obvious and she cannot objectively do to her “job.”
and you know, for a fact, that the mod involved in the thread is the one that deleted posts or moved the thread?

a century ago, when I was a mod, I had several threads I was in moved, by other mods.

and you know, for a fact, that the mod involved in the thread is the one that deleted posts or moved the thread?

a century ago, when I was a mod, I had several threads I was in moved, by other mods.
Yes, I know. I complained to her why she moved it, and she gave me a ridiculous explanation.

But that aside, the suggestion is more broad. When a mod is acting as a moderator debating a controversial topic with a poster, and the poster makes an excellent point, well-cited, that the mod cannot refute, should she have the power to simply delete that post?

It is the same type of “silencing” that leftists do IRL - censor content that makes a good case against their position. Shouldn’t we strive to be better than that?

Yes, I know. I complained to her why she moved it, and she gave me a ridiculous explanation.

But that aside, the suggestion is more broad. When a mod is acting as a moderator debating a controversial topic with a poster, and the poster makes an excellent point, well-cited, that the mod cannot refute, should she have the power to simply delete that post?

It is the same type of “silencing” that leftists do IRL - censor content that makes a good case against their position. Shouldn’t we strive to be better than that?
She deleted a thread of mine simply because she didn't like the subject.

On most forums a "participating" mod can't mess with the thread without the consent of at least two other non-participating mods.

Of course it usually works-out something like this. ;)

R.fc266e484f78c6e0d008a6b5df8fcdf3

Meister would be hamstrung as an apprentice in the FlatCan mode of mis moderation.

On most forums a "participating" mod can't mess with the thread without the consent of at least two other non-participating mods.

Of course it usually works-out something like this. ;)

R.fc266e484f78c6e0d008a6b5df8fcdf3
Then that should be the case here, and if the thread is moved down to the dungeon, the OP should be told who the mods were who wanted it done, and then approved it.

Or he

that's the whole reason to become a mod isn't it?

Like kathianne and Gunny?

to always get the last word....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back