A Scary Number Of Americans Don’t Think Muslims Or Atheists Have First Amendment Rights

I agree! However, even many who may think that Muslims or Atheists actually do have First Amendment rights - they would like to deny them those rights.
Wow, amazing that someone like you would say this.

This, at a time when the Regressive Left is enabling the teaching of our kids that, when confronted with an opposing opinion, it's fine to shout them down, SHUT them down, and/or run to a "safe space". What a lousy thing to do to our kids.

If you actually believed these words, we'd see you people demanding that conservative voices were regularly allowed on campuses and that they could speak their minds -- and be heard -- unencumbered, clearly and freely.

Holy crap. Maybe this is just a troll thread, because you can't be serious.
59c0197b1c0000240079f102.jpeg

Yes, the U.S. Constitution guarantees First Amendment protections for Muslims, atheists and all religious groups.

Let’s get the facts straight.

Nearly a quarter of Americans ― 22 percent ― either don’t know or don’t believe that U.S. Muslims are granted the same constitutional protections as other citizens. Roughly 20 percent don’t know or don’t think that atheists are protected under the First Amendment.

These are among the findings of a new study by the University of Pennsylvania’s Annenberg Public Policy Center, released ahead of the Sept. 17 Constitution Day, which celebrates the anniversary of the U.S. Constitution’s signing in 1787.

The survey asked respondents whether they thought it was accurate to say that U.S. citizens who are Muslims have the same rights as all other citizens. Seventy-six percent of those surveyed said it was very accurate or somewhat accurate, while 18 percent said it was very or somewhat inaccurate. Four percent said they didn’t know.

On the same question about U.S. atheists, 79 percent said it was very accurate or somewhat accurate, and 15 percent said it was very or somewhat inaccurate. Five percent said they didn’t know.

The annual Annenberg Constitution Day Civics Survey polled 1,013 U.S. adults about the government, the First Amendment and constitutional protections. This year marked the first time the survey included the questions about Muslims and atheists. The survey didn’t ask respondents about their knowledge of protections granted to Christians or other religious groups.

But it isn’t just the constitutional rights of Muslims and atheists that Americans are unclear on. Many Americans are highly misinformed about basic constitutional provisions, including what the First Amendment protects and even how the U.S. government is organized.

Fifty-three percent of Americans incorrectly think that undocumented immigrants aren’t afforded rights under the U.S. Constitution. In fact, the Supreme Court ruled on that issue in the 1886 decision, Yick Wo v. Hopkins, declaring that noncitizens were included in the 14th Amendment’s equal protection clause.

Just 26 percent of Americans can name all three branches of government ― down considerably from 38 percent in 2011, when APPC first included this question on the survey.

Thirty-seven percent of respondents were unable to name any of the rights guaranteed under the First Amendment. Just under half of those surveyed named freedom of speech as a right guaranteed by the First Amendment.

But far fewer could name the other First Amendment rights. Fifteen percent of respondents named freedom of religion; 14 percent identified freedom of the press; 10 percent named the right of assembly; and just three percent said the right to petition the government.

The First Amendment states:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

More: A Scary Number Of Americans Don't Think Muslims Or Atheists Have First Amendment Rights

I agree! However, even many who may think that Muslims or Atheists actually do have First Amendment rights - they would like to deny them those rights.

The way the question is worded, those responding could very well be Americans assuming that muslims or atheists are being discriminated against.
It's a troll thread. It has to be.

Yes, the U.S. Constitution guarantees First Amendment protections for Muslims, atheists and all religious groups.

Nearly a quarter of Americans ― 22 percent ― either don’t know or don’t believe that U.S. Muslims are granted the same constitutional protections as other citizens. Roughly 20 percent don’t know or don’t think that atheists are protected under the First Amendment.

These are among the findings of a new study by the University of Pennsylvania’s Annenberg Public Policy Center, released ahead of the Sept. 17 Constitution Day, which celebrates the anniversary of the U.S. Constitution’s signing in 1787.

The survey asked respondents whether they thought it was accurate to say that U.S. citizens who are Muslims have the same rights as all other citizens. Seventy-six percent of those surveyed said it was very accurate or somewhat accurate, while 18 percent said it was very or somewhat inaccurate. Four percent said they didn’t know.

On the same question about U.S. atheists, 79 percent said it was very accurate or somewhat accurate, and 15 percent said it was very or somewhat inaccurate. Five percent said they didn’t know.

The annual Annenberg Constitution Day Civics Survey polled 1,013 U.S. adults about the government, the First Amendment and constitutional protections. This year marked the first time the survey included the questions about Muslims and atheists. The survey didn’t ask respondents about their knowledge of protections granted to Christians or other religious groups.

But it isn’t just the constitutional rights of Muslims and atheists that Americans are unclear on. Many Americans are highly misinformed about basic constitutional provisions, including what the First Amendment protects and even how the U.S. government is organized.

Fifty-three percent of Americans incorrectly think that undocumented immigrants aren’t afforded rights under the U.S. Constitution. In fact, the Supreme Court ruled on that issue in the 1886 decision, Yick Wo v. Hopkins, declaring that noncitizens were included in the 14th Amendment’s equal protection clause.

Just 26 percent of Americans can name all three branches of government ― down considerably from 38 percent in 2011, when APPC first included this question on the survey.

Thirty-seven percent of respondents were unable to name any of the rights guaranteed under the First Amendment. Just under half of those surveyed named freedom of speech as a right guaranteed by the First Amendment.

But far fewer could name the other First Amendment rights. Fifteen percent of respondents named freedom of religion; 14 percent identified freedom of the press; 10 percent named the right of assembly; and just three percent said the right to petition the government.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

More: A Scary Number Of Americans Don't Think Muslims Or Atheists Have First Amendment Rights

Oh. So Russia ain't working out for you huh?

Perhaps when Muslim-dominated countries reciprocate by granting non-Muslims the same rights that Muslims have here, somebody here will actually give two $hits.

In other words, tear up the constitution into little squares and wipe your ass with it.
Nope.

Yep, you obviously don't care about the Constitution otherwise you would care about the rights of all citizens.

ANTIFA and many liberals believe that the despicable white supremacists don't have First Amendment Rights either.

The issue is that neither the extreme left and extreme right are not tolerant. Look at the way this poll was conducted, it has a slant to slam the right.

The heading of this thread is also misleading because the poll says nothing that is in the title of the thread.

So you have a left slanted poll and a dishonest person posting the thread. Now, the poster has the absolute right to post the thread however he is being dishonest, which seems to be the norm for him.

What's even scarier is the larger number of people who don't think anyone conservative doesn't have, and shouldn't have, First Amendment rights.

Leftists are always viciously fighting battles that are meaningless in order to turn a blind eye to where the REAL fights are.

maybe you should learn what it means to be american and stop rolling around in the sand for the muslims.

I'd be wiiling to bet that 20% was made up largely of the millennial crowd.

Ever see those morons try to answer civic questions?

I really wonder what that says about their parents. Are THEY that ignorant, too? Are they just leftists who don't believe in imposing their "judgements" on their children via teaching them stuff?

I have two children in their twenties, and I can't imagine allowing them to go through life that gormless and uninformed.

When I'm home (because right now, I'm staying with my sister to settle into a new job, preparatory to moving my family to a new city), my two sons who live with me sit down with me for an hour each night to read important books and discuss things like philosophy, morality, religion, social issues . . . The idea is to give them a grounding in basics like Christianity, civics, economics, etc. and to give them a chance to ask questions they might have.

There's a scary number of people who riot, hurt and kill in order to simply deny others free speech. That's the real scary shit, not what people think.

I really wonder what that says about their parents. Are THEY that ignorant, too? Are they just leftists who don't believe in imposing their "judgements" on their children via teaching them stuff?

I have two children in their twenties, and I can't imagine allowing them to go through life that gormless and uninformed.

When I'm home (because right now, I'm staying with my sister to settle into a new job, preparatory to moving my family to a new city), my two sons who live with me sit down with me for an hour each night to read important books and discuss things like philosophy, morality, religion, social issues . . . The idea is to give them a grounding in basics like Christianity, civics, economics, etc. and to give them a chance to ask questions they might have.

Part of the problem is students are not expected to question what they are being taught. We recently had a run in with one of our twin's teachers over that. She expected to be taken at face value and she was clearly wrong, one of our twins challenged her.

Part of the problem is students are not expected to question what they are being taught. We recently had a run in with one of our twin's teachers over that. She expected to be taken at face value and she was clearly wrong, one of our twins challenged her.
they can't or they are expelled

they can't or they are expelled

Part of sending ours to private schools, they realize who is paying the tuition

Given the limited religious beliefs of many of the Founding Fathers, the First Amendment was written for the benefit of atheists and non-Christians. The Founding Fathers understood very well, the oppressive nature of the Christian religion, which makes the First Amendment's protections more important today than when the Constitution was first written.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

29a8ed1e32f4c456567d7393d9ba9571--humanist-quotes-founding-fathers.jpg

77a3fe9ab958fd5d6b67f727f939f9cc--liberal-views-religion-and-politics.jpg

Yes, the Founding Fathers knew full well the necessity of the First Amendment's provision to protect religious freedom maintain the separation of church and state.

601b42fa4f03c47ebb9d8038241cdcfe--christian-atheist-atheist-religion.jpg

Atheists are, indeed generally better people. Religious folks feel free to be a$$h*les in the belief their "god" will grant them forgiveness, which they use to justify, in their own minds, being a$$h*les.

As my children's teacher (because all my kids have been homeschooled) I encourage them to question and argue. That means they're thinking, and once they have the explanation, they'll understand and remember more fully. I don't have much use for rote memorization and regurgitation.

Given the limited religious beliefs of many of the Founding Fathers, the First Amendment was written for the benefit of atheists and non-Christians. The Founding Fathers understood very well, the oppressive nature of the Christian religion, which makes the First Amendment's protections more important today than when the Constitution was first written.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

View attachment 150041

View attachment 150042

Yes, the Founding Fathers knew full well the necessity of the First Amendment's provision to protect religious freedom maintain the separation of church and state.

View attachment 150043

Atheists are, indeed generally better people. Religious folks feel free to be a$$h*les in the belief their "god" will grant them forgiveness, which they use to justify, in their own minds, being a$$h*les.

Ah, yes. I'm a big believer in the quality of people who feel the need - and the shamelessness - to tell everyone how much better they are than others.

Basically, my rule of thumb is that if you have to tell me how wonderful you are, it's because you aren't, and you know it.

I'd rather deal with someone who believes they can be forgiven by God than with someone who doesn't believe they ever need forgiveness for anything.

Conservatives believe that if your religion tells you that you should discriminate against minorities,
that not only makes it right, it makes it constitutional.

As my children's teacher (because all my kids have been homeschooled) I encourage them to question and argue. That means they're thinking, and once they have the explanation, they'll understand and remember more fully. I don't have much use for rote memorization and regurgitation.

A good educator will welcome a challenge and debate on a topic...a bad one will say "I am correct, accept it".

View attachment 150041

View attachment 150042

View attachment 150043

Bunch of hogwash and waste of bandwidth

A scary number of democrats (maybe 100%) would most likely agree that FDR was right when he issued an executive order that authorized the arrest of American citizens without due process (what the hell is due process?) based on their ethnicity. Pop history is a quirky thing.

Fun Fact- who was the governor which promoted the Japanese Internment in World War 2?

Future California Republican Governor Earl Warren- then California's Attorney General

In 1942 he called the presence of the Japanese in California “the Achilles’ heel of the entire civilian defense effort.” He also argued that because no fifth-column activities and no sabotage had been reported a “studied effort” at sabotage was taking place. Warren felt that “when we are dealing with the Caucasian race we have methods that will test [their] loyalty,” but “when we deal with the Japanese we are in an entirely different field” because of “their method of living.” Warren was an initial proponent of the Japanese relocation policy and a defender of that policy once it had been implemented. In 1943, when the Allied forces had begun to neutralize Japanese supremacy in the Pacific, fears of an invasion of the West Coast subsided, and pressures to release interned Japanese began to surface. In a conference of state governors that June, Warren vigorously opposed releasing any Japanese. “If the Japs are released,” he said, “no one will be able to tell a saboteur from any other Jap. . . . We don’t want to have a second Pearl Harbor in California. We don’t propose to have the Japs back in California during this war if there is any lawful means of preventing it

So would Republicans of today support the Japanese Internment?

Apparently they would- well at least Trump Republicans

Nearly 50% of Trump Supporters in Iowa Think Japanese Internment Camps Were a Good Idea

According to a Public Policy Polling survey of usual Republican primary voters in Iowa, 48% of Trump voters say they support the use of Japanese internment during World War II, while only 21% oppose it. That's a departure from Republicans overall in the state, among whom 29% support it and 39% are opposed.

Of course during World War 2- the policy of Japanese Internment was hugely popular with Americans of all political persuasions.
https://www.princeton.edu/csdp/events/Berinsky101107/BerinskyManuscript101107.pdf

Liberals protect Atheists' and Muslims' Rights while constantly attacking Christians and the Christian faith...perhaps the OP should consider that more...

Contards of course try to deflect from the discussion of the First Amendment to 'but but...but...but what about the poor Christians!"

Forum List

Back